Portal 2 Cheap This Weekend @ Kmart, GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Although I have never played Portal or Portal 2, I just wanted to throw a quick Nelson-esque "HA HA!" out to all those suckers that paid full retail on this game.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Do I have to own a Playstation to buy that version? Do I need to link a Steam account to a PSN account or does the box just have the activation code for the Steam version in it?

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]chriskrum[/nom]Do I have to own a Playstation to buy that version? Do I need to link a Steam account to a PSN account or does the box just have the activation code for the Steam version in it?[/citation]
No clue but if it does I'll just buy the PS3 version, keep the Steam key and sell the disc! Probably what you had in mind too right?

doughff

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Just an FYI for anyone buying the PS3 version to play it on PC, you MUST link your PSN account with your Steam account through the PS3 version of the game to claim your PC version key. And while there is a good chance that PSN will be back up by Sunday... just know that there is no solid confirmation on when it will be back up.

G

"Consumers who game on both the PC and PlayStation 3 may get the best deal by heading to Kmart and purchasing the PlayStation 3 version. This particular copy will provide an additional code for unlocking Portal 2 for the PC on Steam-- essentially two versions of Valve's instant classic for a mere $34.99. Not too shabby."

You forgot one problem: in order to do this, you have to be on Playstation Network at the same time to activate it on Steam.

and as of this comment...PSN has been down for over a week.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]Although I have never played Portal or Portal 2, I just wanted to throw a quick Nelson-esque "HA HA!" out to all those suckers that paid full retail on this game.[/citation]
I dont regret buying it a full price, it was worth every penny. If I hadnt bought it, I wouldve been desperate to buy it by now...

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]erick81[/nom]I'll hold off till they give it away on steam.[/citation]
This isnt a game theyd give away. They gave away Portal 1 because it was like an extra minigame in the orange box.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I dont regret buying it a full price, it was worth every penny. If I hadnt bought it, I wouldve been desperate to buy it by now...[/citation]

I tend to differ a bit. The solo game was okay. Though I tend to see this as it not being as groundbreaking as the first and thus not being able to command as nice a price as they thought.

There was a LOT of hype with this game, and it was a bit shorter than I would have preferred.

I also think it a bit cheeky to try selling things for your online gameplay avatar to wear.

Again, the customer's rule on advertising: The more the hype, the worse it will be. Marketing guys try to make up for the product not being an amazing seventh wonder of the world.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]chriskrum[/nom]Do I have to own a Playstation to buy that version? Do I need to link a Steam account to a PSN account or does the box just have the activation code for the Steam version in it?[/citation]
You have to have access to a PS3 to get the PC version, I did it that way. You'll essentially tie your Steam account to your PSN account, so the PS3 needs internet access/PSN access (not really possible at the moment!).

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
well I wasn't into it for 50 but at 30 for a just-released game I think i might bite.

I do hate boxed retail, as it means leaving the house. . . hmmm does k-mart do shipping. . .

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]well I wasn't into it for 50 but at 30 for a just-released game I think i might bite.I do hate boxed retail, as it means leaving the house. . . hmmm does k-mart do shipping. . .[/citation]

I tend to prefer physical box, that way if company X goes belly up, I have something. I'd like to be able to play some of my games a while down the road if I feel nostalgic.

It also means they can't say "alright, we're done, no more for you!" and not let you download/play it.

What happens if Valve decides to no longer allow downloads of a game you purchased from them a while back? I wager when Valve institutes this for some of their old old old games it will be a problem.

castle songbird

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
If you can sell the ps3 version used at gamestop for more than $35 (after the sale ends and psn is back online of course) than you could walk away with more money than you originally had and copy of portal 2 on steam.

PCGOD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
told my brother i can get it for him cheap. only im gonna swipe one of the 2 copies in the ps3/pc one. brilliant.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
SORRY Valve.

No purchases on remakes on your old engine.

Hit us with HL3 and you'll get my $60.

I think we have console milking to blame.

Astonish us again like you did with HL2 dammit!

In other news: Episode 12 is coming! ....... *sigh

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Retailers selling it at $35, still $50 on Steam.Your move, Steam.[/citation]

Or 49.99 euro that equals roughly 74 dollars, steam have so "awesome" prices... /end sarcasm. Its a no brainer that the pirate trends look like they do, us generally have low piracy and i would attribute it to the late availability and overprice for the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.