Windows 8 for New Computer?

deadl4st

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
My friend is building a new computer, and he wants a legit copy of Windows that will include a disc so that, should the OS corrupt, he can easily just re-install it. When it comes to directing him on which version of Windows to buy, I have some questions:

1.) I heard that if you buy an OEM copy of Windows, you cannot use it to re-install. That is, it is a one-use-only deal. Is this correct?

If that is true, then he does not want OEM. I would very much like to get him Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit RETAIL. However, I cannot seem to find that anywhere. So my option I am then considering next is as follows: Have him purchase Win7 Home Edition 64 OEM for $100, and then have him purchase the digital Win8 Upgrade for $40. This leads to my next two questions.

2.) Is it even possible to upgrade to full Windows 8 Pro from an OEM version of Windows 7?

3.) If that is in fact possible, then I've read that Windows 8 provides you with a simple tool to create an Installation DVD yourself. Would you be able to use this self-made disc to completely re-install your copy of Windows 8 Pro on your computer should your OS get corrupted beyond repair?

I am aware that questions 2 and 3 are based entirely off of the answer to question 1. Should the OEM disc allow re-installation then I see no qualms whatsoever with just having him buy Win7 Home Edition 64-bit OEM.

Aside from answers to the above questions, do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
1. For Windows 8, absolutely not true. You can reinstall that copy as many times as you need to (within reason... after a certain number of reactivations, you will likely have to call Microsoft to reactivate, but having done this in the past, I can say with certainty that it takes no more than 5-6 minutes to do it via this method). You can also move it to another computer that you personally own (you can only do this once however) and legitimately install and activate it on that new computer. Keep in mind that you must remove it from the old system immediately when you transfer it though.

For Windows 7, same applies, except that you cannot move it to another computer that you own. Windows 7 OEM copies are tied to the first system they...
1. For Windows 8, absolutely not true. You can reinstall that copy as many times as you need to (within reason... after a certain number of reactivations, you will likely have to call Microsoft to reactivate, but having done this in the past, I can say with certainty that it takes no more than 5-6 minutes to do it via this method). You can also move it to another computer that you personally own (you can only do this once however) and legitimately install and activate it on that new computer. Keep in mind that you must remove it from the old system immediately when you transfer it though.

For Windows 7, same applies, except that you cannot move it to another computer that you own. Windows 7 OEM copies are tied to the first system they are installed on and are not transferable. The reason for the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 is that there is no *Retail* version of Windows 8. They are all OEM/System Builder copies, with transfer rights from retail Windows 7 licenses merged in.

2. Yes, you can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from an OEM copy of Windows 7.

3. Yes, it's called the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. If you are planning to upgrade without wanting to purchase a physical copy, you can use the Upgrade Assistant to buy a license for Windows 8 Pro and will have the option to burn a physical setup disk yourself while you are going through the Upgrade Assistant wizard.

Solution