gateway utilities question

I had to reinstall winXP home and using the gateway system disk.
After winxp finishes, a green and black screen showsup with a list of
gateway utilities(?) and all of them are installed.

Two of them "gateway desktop manager" and "gateway power config"
got installed but are giving me problems.

The desktop manager will shift icons on the screen about 1/4 inch
regardless of where i put them (icon grid is off).
The gateway power config overrides the windows power settings and
i can't find a way to change the gateway settings.

I have removed all gateway utils that i can find but cannot find these two.

Would anyone have any ideas about how to get rid of these two pieces
of @#$% and assuming i can lose them - will the windows programs for
these two things be re-activiated (i want to avoid another re-install)...

thanks,
clif
3 answers Last reply
More about gateway utilities question

    I always install Windows XP by booting off of the Windows XP CD
    directly. I then use the Gateway Drivers and Applications CDs to only
    install what I need, leaving out all the other Gateway @#$%.

    Frank Fussenegger wrote:
    > I always install Windows XP by booting off of the Windows XP CD
    > directly. I then use the Gateway Drivers and Applications CDs to only
    > install what I need, leaving out all the other Gateway @#$%.
    >

    > clif <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<HfadndqkEcfzEATd4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
    >> I had to reinstall winXP home and using the gateway system disk.
    >> After winxp finishes, a green and black screen showsup with a list of
    >> gateway utilities(?) and all of them are installed.
    >>
    >> Two of them "gateway desktop manager" and "gateway power config"
    >> got installed but are giving me problems.
    >>
    >> The desktop manager will shift icons on the screen about 1/4 inch
    >> regardless of where i put them (icon grid is off).
    >> The gateway power config overrides the windows power settings and
    >> i can't find a way to change the gateway settings.
    >>
    >> I have removed all gateway utils that i can find but cannot find these two.
    >>
    >> Would anyone have any ideas about how to get rid of these two pieces
    >> of @#$% and assuming i can lose them - will the windows programs for
    >> these two things be re-activiated (i want to avoid another re-install)...
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> clif

    Great. But, i don't have an original windowsXP Home CD. I just have the
    Gateway OS, Drivers and Applications CD's. These two items (manager, power)
    dont show up on the add\remove list at all.

    BTW: Another question: I have the correct motherboard and correct
    chipset and
    a single SATA HD for using the intel application accelerator - RAID .
    What is the
    advantage/disadvantage of installing this software (driver?)?

    thanks,
    clif

    When reinstalling with the Gateway OS and drivers you need to install the OS
    first then right after put the driver disk in. If you wait and put the
    drivers and such on after other programs, for some reason Gateway's drivers
    don't install correctly. This is a known issue right now. In fact it
    happened to me with my 200XL that I have.

    Ryan

    > Frank Fussenegger wrote:
    > > I always install Windows XP by booting off of the Windows XP CD
    > > directly. I then use the Gateway Drivers and Applications CDs to only
    > > install what I need, leaving out all the other Gateway @#$%.
    > >

    > > clif <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> I had to reinstall winXP home and using the gateway system disk.
    > >> After winxp finishes, a green and black screen showsup with a list of
    > >> gateway utilities(?) and all of them are installed.
    > >>
    > >> Two of them "gateway desktop manager" and "gateway power config"
    > >> got installed but are giving me problems.
    > >>
    > >> The desktop manager will shift icons on the screen about 1/4 inch
    > >> regardless of where i put them (icon grid is off).
    > >> The gateway power config overrides the windows power settings and
    > >> i can't find a way to change the gateway settings.
    > >>
    > >> I have removed all gateway utils that i can find but cannot find these
    two.

    > >> Would anyone have any ideas about how to get rid of these two pieces
    > >> of @#$% and assuming i can lose them - will the windows programs for
    > >> these two things be re-activiated (i want to avoid another
    re-install)...

    > >> thanks,
    > >> clif
    >
    > Great. But, i don't have an original windowsXP Home CD. I just have the
    > Gateway OS, Drivers and Applications CD's. These two items (manager,
    power)
    > dont show up on the add\remove list at all.
    >
    > BTW: Another question: I have the correct motherboard and correct
    > chipset and
    > a single SATA HD for using the intel application accelerator - RAID .
    > What is the
    > advantage/disadvantage of installing this software (driver?)?
    >
    > thanks,
    > clif

Gateway Configuration Power Computers