P4c on a 166Mhz native Bus

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Guys:

I had this posted origionaly in the other CPU forum, however no one there seemed to know anything about this so i deleted the post and moved it over here, maybe you guys will know more about this.

Im wondering what would happen if i put a P4c 3Ghz on a Asus P4G8X-D. i will include short detailed description of the boards chipset and BIOS features so you dont have to do any research inorder to answer my question.

The mobo uses the i7501 chipset, the hardwares FSB support for over clocking ends at 166Mhz, the Bios on the other hand supports a Soft OC on the FSB of 400x4, yes i know thats really high and unrealistic but i didnt make the mobo hehe, anyway all im trying to get out of it is 200x4.

The question is how will the chipset react to trying to match the P4c native FSB clock speed of 200Mhz, since the hardware support ends at 166Mhz. will it try and use a multiplier the CPU doesnt support, will it do something wierd that the chipset or CPU cant deal with, i know there is some math involved here but unfortunately i dont know the formula for figuring out the answer, especialy since were talking about two different native FSB speeds, its difficult to figure out how they are going to interact with one another.

This is too complicated for me to figure out, i need help on this one guys.
The Mathmatical answer explained in clear laymans terms would help tremendously.

Thanks in advance

Edit:

I was able to figure it out on my own after i thought about it for some time.

The multiplier for a P4c 3Ghz is 15, the Multiplier for a P4b 3Ghz is 18, so i took the multiplier of 15 and multiplied it by 166 and got 2490Mhz, which isnt really worth spending $220 for, however if i can get 15x175 or better then it would be worth it, so the question is what can i actually get out of my mobo...so its decision time.

<font color=blue> <Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 engine? <font color=blue>
<Trip> Yeah, on paper...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by XeenRecoil on 07/06/04 05:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
What will prob happen at first is that the CPU will be underclocked to 1500Mhz.
The CPU is NOT the only consideration when overclocking, the northbridge was made to run at 100Mhz and you want to double that to 200Mhz! Seems unlikly to me. If your board doesnt have an AGP/PCI lock then your AGP will be running at 133Mhz and your PCI at 66Mhz...it aint gonna happen! What RAM are you using?
however if i can get 15x175 or better then it would be worth it
No it wouldnt! The CPU would be running slower than what you paid for! Buy an Abit IS7 and a 2.8c you will be able to overclock much more and it will be faster.

<font color=blue>I have far too much time on my hands</font color=blue>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Jammydodger;

Thanks for the reply.

A couple things though, the chipset actually supports a native FSB hardware setting of 166Mhz via Jumpers, its beyond that where the problem lies, also the AGP/PCI bus can be locked at 66/33.

The reason i wanted to try this is so that i didnt have to spend money on an Abit IS7 right now, i thought i would try this and see if i could get lucky enough for it to run at 200Mhz FSB without problems.

<font color=blue> <Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 engine?

<Trip> Yeah, on Paper... </font color=blue>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Well in that case it could be possible, have you got PC3200 RAM? How do you plan on overclocking the board over 166Mhz?

I still say if the 2.8 is a lot cheaper than the 3.0 where you live get the 2.8+IS7, depending on how much more expensive that combo would be.