Help I think i killed my comp :(

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Hey guys

Well I¡¦ve now had my first attempt at overclocking and it was an abysmal failure ƒ¼, I¡¦m asking if anyone can give me info on how to save my computer or failing that telling me what I did wrong so I don¡¦t do it when I get my shiny new computer and ah heck that up too¡K.please help!!!

Ok to start with I¡¦ll tell you what my system is/was¡K it was a thunderbird 1ghz cpu on an asus a7v133 mobo with 192mb of 100sdram (3x64) geforce 256 (the original, it¡¦s had a good long life ^_^)¡K.

Now I was trying to overclock it, during the process I ran into numerous crashes etc and had trouble finding the CMOS to reset the bios¡Kanyway now when I start up my computer it only makes it so far (almost logs into windows) then locks up if you reset it will make it only halfway to booting windows reset again and it won¡¦t even make it past bios¡K.leave it off for a while and it might make it a bit further when you turn it back on, this is after changing the bios settings back to default ƒ¼¡K.

To let you know how far I pushed it, the most I tried was getting it to run at 133fsb with 133 memory and consequently a 1330mhz cpu speed I also increased the voltage at one point hoping it would stop crashes the most I raised it was by .15v taking it to 1.65v¡KI didn¡¦t think that would be enough to damage it but it seems to be stuffed ƒ¼ any help comments or suggestions would be appreciated greatly

If I left any important info out please let me know and I¡¦ll post it straight away¡K

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Noel Adams 1952-2002

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Chaotic;

It sounds like to me that C-Mos didnt actually clear, try it again.

<font color=blue> <Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 engine?

<Trip> Yeah, on Paper... </font color=blue>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Hmmm... Looks like cmos s/h cleared as you reset to default in BIOS. Since you can get into BIOS, just have a look and make sure.

I wouldn't think a vcore (voltage to cpu) adjustment of only I.5 would damage ur chip, especially for a (presumably) short time. But, I haven't ever had that particular chip, maybe someone will disagree.

My guess w/b a fouled up OS and I would reinstall/repair after ensuring BIOS did default to stock settings.

Good Luck with it, too early to panic yet

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I agree with Coyote, you have prob screwed up your windows installation it happened to me once when I overclocked.
The t'bird can get pretty hot without dieing so I doubt it has burnt out.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
First of all you aren't going to get very far with PC100 memory, not by pushing FSB. I'm surprised you reached 133 Mhz FSB.

Unlocking the L1 bridges so that you can overclock by increasing multipliers would be very helpful. You can use the old pencil trick.

By the way, which Thunderbird do you have, B or C? which batch code?

AVIA, AXIA, AYHJA, and AYHJAR were the better ones.

Secondly, are you sure about your voltages?

My Tbird 1.0 AYHJAR used 1.7 volt (maybe it was 1.75) as a default. I routinely overclocked it to 1.5 Ghz but needed 1.9 volt to do it. I used it that way for 1.5 years. I can't recall how far it would overclock on stock voltage.

Thirdly, what are you seeing for temps? CPU temp? motherboard temp?

Asus Probe reports higher temps than programs like Motherboard Monitor so mention which monitoring software you are using.

And fourthly, what are you using for a CPU HSF?

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, I didn't address your problem at all.

I really think that you are running VCore too low. Set it to 1.7 volt or 1.75 or simply "default". 1.5-1.65 volt is too low for that processor.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think your board took a dump on you.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
lol yes like flying bovines my motherboard has taken a dump on me of epic proportions ^_^

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Unfortunatly that didn't work, it still crashes soon after loading :(

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Hey thanx for the post...

ummm I don't know which thunderbird i have but considering when i got it probably B, I'm not game enough to tear the HSF off to have a look at the cpu to find out

I either had the voltage set to auto or i had it on manual and put it at around .65, I just tried .75 and that didn't work either...

I don't know my motherboard temp but using MBM it told me my cpu temp was 65 C without being overclocked!!

My CPU HSF is the stock one

I thought I had it working when i managed to reset the bios so i reinstalled windows (cause the old install was buggered) and started setting up reinstalling programs etc, wasn't far into it and it crashed and now it crashes everytime I boot again before getting into windows, never at one specific point either, kinda random....i'm thinking of buying a new cpu/motherboard/memory and giving up on the old one but i'm worried that if the problem isn't that one of them is broken then that maybe a waste of money and fix nothing...

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
I just realised one mistake i made yesterday when fiddling with my computer...

I couldn't find the clear cmos so i to restore the settings to normal i was turning off the jumper free setting so i controlled the overclock with switches on the MB, this kinda worked but one time when i was doing it i forgot to unplug the computer from the wall...it was off but it was still plugged in, not sure if this would have done anything but thought it was worth mentioning

damn i feel stupid :p

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Probably not a problem. As long as the power is off your usually fine.

ATX power supplies do have 5 volt standby power so do want to be careful. It's unlikey that would hurt anything if you are only handling a jumper block. It is good practice to unplug the power in any case.

Getting back to your problem, 65 degrees is pretty hot. I don't like to see that even on non-overclocked Athlons. A new HSF would get cooling more in line. I know you said that you don't want to pull your old one but a decent heatsink is must for overclocking. It might even fix your problem.

OK so you have a Tbird B. When you switched to Jumper mode did you remember to restore FSB to 100 Mhz? If not then you are still overclocking.

Did you ever find the Clear CMOS point? On those early ASUS boards it's two solder points that you have to short with flat blade screwdriver.

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
well.....the new parts arrived... and when i went out to my room to get something after we got home the computer was on and working (i'd left it off and broken)....now i have less hair ^_^

ahh well i don't trust it to be stable anyhow...i have the new parts installed and the old ones will go into another computer...

I'd still like to know what went wrong..

Yes i did find the Clear CMOS and managed to reset the bios but it still persisted with the random lock ups at some random point during boot up....

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
does anyone know what may have happened during the overclock to make it do that?

I just want to know so i don't make the same mistake with my new parts....I really want to overclock them but I don't want to kill them, my dad would make sure i'd be next :p

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
heat! just do it very slowly and dont set any records.

I've got a book of matches,
I've got a can of kerosene,
I've got some bright ideas involving you and me.