Gateway server 2000 question

Im sending this again becuase I dont think I did it right last time...

Im a little new at setting up servers, a friend of mine wants me to get an
operating system running on this gateway 2000 server he got from work as
they were about to toss it.

The server has IDE slots and SCSI slots. There are two hard drives connected
to the SCSI slots, and I plugged in a regular IDE hard drive into the IDE
slot that was empty.

When I try to boot, it says that there is no BIOS for SCSI, and I cant seem
to find one, I have ran the SCSI configuration utility, and everything seems
to be in order, it even gives me the I/O address for the SCSI which is
E800h, and the IRQ channel is 95, but I cant find where in the BIOS I can
set this parameter to make sure it is correct, something is crossing
somewhere. Also, for what its worth, BIOS is not detecting my IDE hard drive
that I put in there, maybe I have the jumpers set incorrectly on that, I
just through it in.

Like I said, I really dont know much about servers and what not... any help
would be appriciated.

-AC

--

AC RADIO PULASKI
Pulaski Virginia's First Internet Radio Station

    Hard to tell without the specs, but make sure the drives are properly
    terminated. Newer systems terminate at the cable, but older ones required
    jumpers on the drives for termination. If the controller can't find the
    terminator, you'll get the "BIOS not installed" and no drives found.

    On many server systems, if you have and IDE drive installed, you can't boot
    the SCSI drives - the IDE chain takes preference.

    "Andrew Cocke" <andyc12@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Im sending this again becuase I dont think I did it right last time...
    >
    > Im a little new at setting up servers, a friend of mine wants me to get an
    > operating system running on this gateway 2000 server he got from work as
    > they were about to toss it.
    >
    > The server has IDE slots and SCSI slots. There are two hard drives
    connected
    > to the SCSI slots, and I plugged in a regular IDE hard drive into the IDE
    > slot that was empty.
    >
    > When I try to boot, it says that there is no BIOS for SCSI, and I cant
    seem
    > to find one, I have ran the SCSI configuration utility, and everything
    seems
    > to be in order, it even gives me the I/O address for the SCSI which is
    > E800h, and the IRQ channel is 95, but I cant find where in the BIOS I can
    > set this parameter to make sure it is correct, something is crossing
    > somewhere. Also, for what its worth, BIOS is not detecting my IDE hard
    drive
    > that I put in there, maybe I have the jumpers set incorrectly on that, I
    > just through it in.
    >
    > Like I said, I really dont know much about servers and what not... any
    help
    > would be appriciated.
    >
    > -AC
    >

    > --
    >

    > AC RADIO PULASKI
    > Pulaski Virginia's First Internet Radio Station
    > http://www.acradiopulaski.com
    > The best music mix of the New River Valley!

    During the boot process, the SCSI card (on board or separate) will determine
    the presence of the IDE drive. If it exists, the SCSI extended BIOS for
    booting won't install. Try removing the IDE drive you added and see if it
    will boot to the SCSIs.

    "Andrew Cocke" <andyc12@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Im sending this again becuase I dont think I did it right last time...
    >
    > Im a little new at setting up servers, a friend of mine wants me to get an
    > operating system running on this gateway 2000 server he got from work as
    > they were about to toss it.
    >
    > The server has IDE slots and SCSI slots. There are two hard drives
    connected
    > to the SCSI slots, and I plugged in a regular IDE hard drive into the IDE
    > slot that was empty.
    >
    > When I try to boot, it says that there is no BIOS for SCSI, and I cant
    seem
    > to find one, I have ran the SCSI configuration utility, and everything
    seems
    > to be in order, it even gives me the I/O address for the SCSI which is
    > E800h, and the IRQ channel is 95, but I cant find where in the BIOS I can
    > set this parameter to make sure it is correct, something is crossing
    > somewhere. Also, for what its worth, BIOS is not detecting my IDE hard
    drive
    > that I put in there, maybe I have the jumpers set incorrectly on that, I
    > just through it in.
    >
    > Like I said, I really dont know much about servers and what not... any
    help
    > would be appriciated.
    >
    > -AC
    >

    > --
    >

    > AC RADIO PULASKI
    > Pulaski Virginia's First Internet Radio Station
    > http://www.acradiopulaski.com
    > The best music mix of the New River Valley!

    I have seen with these that you have to install the right scsi driver prior
    to installing operating system. It just depends what OS you are installing
    you might have to download the specific drivers for the SCSI controller and
    such, because windows will assign a generic drivers for these. See if you
    can find the right driver is my first suggestion, this is the biggest
    problem with these after formatting drives and such.

    Ryan

    "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > During the boot process, the SCSI card (on board or separate) will
    determine
    > the presence of the IDE drive. If it exists, the SCSI extended BIOS for
    > booting won't install. Try removing the IDE drive you added and see if it
    > will boot to the SCSIs.
    >
    > "Andrew Cocke" <andyc12@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Im sending this again becuase I dont think I did it right last time...
    > >
    > > Im a little new at setting up servers, a friend of mine wants me to get
    an
    > > operating system running on this gateway 2000 server he got from work as
    > > they were about to toss it.
    > >
    > > The server has IDE slots and SCSI slots. There are two hard drives
    > connected
    > > to the SCSI slots, and I plugged in a regular IDE hard drive into the
    IDE
    > > slot that was empty.
    > >
    > > When I try to boot, it says that there is no BIOS for SCSI, and I cant
    > seem
    > > to find one, I have ran the SCSI configuration utility, and everything
    > seems
    > > to be in order, it even gives me the I/O address for the SCSI which is
    > > E800h, and the IRQ channel is 95, but I cant find where in the BIOS I
    can
    > > set this parameter to make sure it is correct, something is crossing
    > > somewhere. Also, for what its worth, BIOS is not detecting my IDE hard
    > drive
    > > that I put in there, maybe I have the jumpers set incorrectly on that, I
    > > just through it in.
    > >
    > > Like I said, I really dont know much about servers and what not... any
    > help
    > > would be appriciated.
    > >
    > > -AC
    > >

    > > --
    > >

    > > AC RADIO PULASKI
    > > Pulaski Virginia's First Internet Radio Station

    > > http://www.acradiopulaski.com
    > > The best music mix of the New River Valley!

Gateway SCSI Servers Computers