Sign in with
Your question

Are my specs good enough to run games on ultra or high?

Last response: in Video Games
February 11, 2013 12:37:18 AM

Hello everyone i have been play a few pc games on my laptop which has bad preformance in all games but is still playable at around 20 fps.

im going to be building my own gaming pc here are the specs that im looking at at the moment.

Intel Core i3-2130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor

Asus P8B75-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Diamond Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card

Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Psu

i may also OC my cpu and install a cpu cooler and even a second gpu in crossfireX.I also want a better gaming experience than a console (ex. ps3 or xbox 360).

if you see anything wrong or something i can do better my budget is at about $550-600

February 11, 2013 12:51:05 AM

The HD 7770 can play some games at high, but it depends on what resolution you will be playing at. Click below link for some benchmarks. The CPU used is an Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.7 GHz. All games are using the highest graphic quality possible.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7770_Vap...
February 11, 2013 12:53:22 AM

Hi :) 

High = yes, Utra = no...

Not enough cpu or gpu for Ultra...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
February 11, 2013 12:58:50 AM

thanks guys. by the way i will be running at 1440 by 900 resolution
February 11, 2013 1:00:52 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

High = yes, Utra = no...

Not enough cpu or gpu for Ultra...

All the best Brett :) 

what if i crossfireX my gpu and OC my cpu
February 11, 2013 5:22:35 AM

Get a better Processor rather. These days games are demanding on the processing power of your PC.

HD 7770 is an good card, and games might be playable even on Ultra, but it obviously will not be a future proof build.

At 1400, 900; the specs you aim at should be fine for playing Battlefield like games at 40 to 50 FPS.

Rick
February 11, 2013 10:34:22 AM

You cannot overclock i3s, If you have not bought a single 7770 yet get a better card rather than crossfire.
February 11, 2013 2:07:59 PM

HI:
First of all, your resolution is rather low, so ultra might not be possible, but high should look almost the same as ultra if the monitor is small and resolution is under 1650x1080p.
Is it a 21 inch monitor?

Your computer will be definitly slow by "enthusiasts standards" and in the most demanding game it wont probably be able to run over medium settings (thou those titles are not too many).

If you want to OC the CPU, you should get a version of the intel that has a -K at its name. This is how they specify easy to overclock CPUs.

Your GPU... its a bit on the weak side. Creossfire X is not something id recommend due to how many issues you are going to be running into (Not all games use it, drivers are normally more buggy than regular onces, a lot of heat generated, many heat realted problems, micro stuttering, aditional power draw... i think thats about all of them).

If you can get 1 stronger card than 2 weaker (that in total will be slightly faster), you will skip all those issues.
For example you could go for the cheapest 7850 you can find...

As for the CPU, i use a laptop version cpu 2430M and it deal well with everything including stracraft 2 (a CPU intensive game, few are this intensive). YOur CPU will be probably even better since its a desktop version, and if you look at all the benchmarks out there:

CPU will make a diference but in games where FPS actually is in the 20-30 limit, mostly its the CPU that makes a diference.
Personally, once i ger over 40 FPS i can barely tell the difference unless i switch it VERY fast.

Its more important to have a steady FPS, but that depends on the Game coding a lot more than on the hardware so we are out of luck.

One final thing:

Note that creossifre X does NOT add up the ram of both cards. This emans you are still going to have 1GB of ram once you add your second card (and they must be the same model or there is a chance they simply wont work togheter).
!