How to cancel/port service wo ETF, citing text message cha..

In the past, whenever Verizon increased rates on existing customers,
they offered the ability to cancel service without being charged an
early termination fee.

In the most recent text message price change on their web site, they
did not give any notice about the ETF waiver. Is this still an option?

If so, how do I use the ETF waiver to port out my number to another
provider when I terminate service?

Or is this going to be such a mess that I should wait until my contract
just runs out in September?

-MVL
4 answers Last reply
More about cancel port service citing text message

    No, unlikely, probably not, maybe. I believe if you check the fine print of
    your contract, there is no clause that allows for cancellation because of a
    rate change. You'd need a material breach of the contract or service to
    warrant waiving the EFT. While a nice CS may help you, even if you find a
    clause in writing, your chances of using that as a reason to early terminate
    are slim. Your only work around is to find a clause that specifically
    states that a change in fees does allow you to cancel, and sadly you will
    not.

    Verizon has great coverage, and their rates are reasonable. A text rate
    change, is not a material change that warrants voiding a cancellation fee.
    I'm not particularly a fan of Verizon's Business Ethics, or how they use
    customer or client contracts to only protect themselves. You'd need a
    material change to the contract, else your swimming upstream, and while some
    may be sympathetic, few can help you. But if you find an experienced CS,
    you may get lucky! Good Luck. dr
    --
    dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
    used to)

    <mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In the past, whenever Verizon increased rates on existing customers,
    > they offered the ability to cancel service without being charged an
    > early termination fee.
    >
    > In the most recent text message price change on their web site, they
    > did not give any notice about the ETF waiver. Is this still an option?
    >
    > If so, how do I use the ETF waiver to port out my number to another
    > provider when I terminate service?
    >
    > Or is this going to be such a mess that I should wait until my contract
    > just runs out in September?
    >
    > -MVL

    <mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In the past, whenever Verizon increased rates on existing customers,
    > they offered the ability to cancel service without being charged an
    > early termination fee.
    >
    > In the most recent text message price change on their web site, they
    > did not give any notice about the ETF waiver. Is this still an option?
    >
    > If so, how do I use the ETF waiver to port out my number to another
    > provider when I terminate service?
    >
    > Or is this going to be such a mess that I should wait until my contract
    > just runs out in September?
    >
    > -MVL

    If your contract specifically detailed the rates for text messages then you
    might be able to hold them to those rates. However, I doubt Verizon will let
    you cancel without the early termination fee over this. They would more
    likely simply issue a credit against your account for the difference between
    the agreed upon text message rates and what you may actually be charged.
    Chances are the increase in rates is not going to be as substancial as the
    early termination fee, so why would they want to lose revenue from your
    account over such an insignificant change? It'd be easier just to give you a
    measly credit and hold you to the contract.

    -Jeff

    Jeff P wrote:

    > If your contract specifically detailed the rates for text messages then you
    > might be able to hold them to those rates. However, I doubt Verizon will let
    > you cancel without the early termination fee over this. They would more
    > likely simply issue a credit against your account for the difference between
    > the agreed upon text message rates and what you may actually be charged.
    > Chances are the increase in rates is not going to be as substancial as the
    > early termination fee, so why would they want to lose revenue from your
    > account over such an insignificant change? It'd be easier just to give you a
    > measly credit and hold you to the contract.
    >
    > -Jeff

    I am trying to remember the reason VZW mailed everyone letters 1~2 years
    ago stating "xyz has been changed/added so you have the right to end
    your contract without penalty". It turned out to be a small increase.

    "Jeff P" <jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote in message

    > <mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> In the past, whenever Verizon increased rates on existing
    >> customers,
    >> they offered the ability to cancel service without being charged an
    >> early termination fee.
    >>
    >> In the most recent text message price change on their web site,
    >> they
    >> did not give any notice about the ETF waiver. Is this still an
    >> option?
    >>
    >> If so, how do I use the ETF waiver to port out my number to another
    >> provider when I terminate service?
    >>
    >> Or is this going to be such a mess that I should wait until my
    >> contract
    >> just runs out in September?
    >>
    >> -MVL
    >>

    > If your contract specifically detailed the rates for text messages
    > then you might be able to hold them to those rates. However, I doubt
    > Verizon will let you cancel without the early termination fee over
    > this. They would more likely simply issue a credit against your
    > account for the difference between the agreed upon text message
    > rates and what you may actually be charged. Chances are the increase
    > in rates is not going to be as substancial as the early termination
    > fee, so why would they want to lose revenue from your account over
    > such an insignificant change? It'd be easier just to give you a
    > measly credit and hold you to the contract.
    >
    > -Jeff

    Funny as it would seem, if the price was agreed to via contractual
    means (I have the Text 500 @ so much a minute etc) until the end of
    the year. I think if you go over that allotted use then the price
    would be at the prevailing rates. I seem to remember the International
    rates being adjusted last year for something or other.

    However most contracts state that if "all" the folks get raised then
    it is OK (Sort of like Allstate raising their insurance rates in
    different states) But a lawyer could tell you better than I.

    Elector

Verizon Internet Service Providers Product