The best gaming machine on a budget

Right now, the only gaming I'm doing is on my PS3, and some casual gaming on my iPhone/iPad.

I'm looking to build a gaming PC, and my goal is to keep the price as low as possible and maximize gaming performance.
This PC would be used almost exclusively for gaming, since I have other machines for other tasks.

What I'm thinking about is to get the cheapest modern MoBo I can get, with the cheapest modern CPU I can get, 8GB RAM, and invest most of my money on the GPU (and of-course a suitable PSU).

My guess is that I'm going to get better gaming performance from a 50$ CPU + 450$ GPU, than say a 150$ CPU + 350$ GPU. The idea is that any modern i3 CPU can handle the CPU tasks of a game without a sweat, but in order to go high on res. and details, the GPU must be as good as possible.

Am I right on the subject?

Any input would be most appreciated...
5 answers Last reply
More about gaming machine budget
  1. You are mostly right but a $450 GPU would be too much for a $50 CPU. I would say as a general gude spend double on the GPU than the CPU.
  2. simon12 said:
    You are mostly right but a $450 GPU would be too much for a $50 CPU. I would say as a general gude spend double on the GPU than the CPU.

So, you're saying that I'm going to get better gaming performance from i3 3220 + HD 7950 than G2020 + HD 7970?
  3. It will vary from game to game and by what resolution you play at but generally @ 1920 x 1080 yes. Also consider AMDs 965BE and FX6300 as some games just don't like running on only 2 cores.
  4. I'm aiming for a higher resolution than that. My screen is 2560 x 1440, I'd like to play on native resolution as much as possible.
  5. That makes the choice harder but I would still go for the i3 (or FX6300) + 7950. 2 reasons 1 the upgrade from a 7950 to 7970 is not good value , 2 if a game is GPU limited you can just drop the AA settings or go from ultra to high settings and it only makes a little difference but CPU limited games are a nightmare to get the settings right.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Gaming CPUs GPUs Video Games