Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Calculating Steam download speed

Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2013 3:20:41 AM

Pretty soon here I will be building my very first dedicated gaming rig and although I already have most of my favorite games for my 360 I don't yet have a PC copy of any of them. In terms of cost my best bet to begin the process of building a collection of my favorites once I get my rig built seems to be Steam, at least for most of the titles I'm interested in. However, I'm not sure my download speed would make this feasible.

I've recently paid a visit to SpeedTest.com and if I'm correct my download speed is exactly 1.12 Mbps when the computer, or perhaps at least the internet connection, is not being utilized for anyting at all, i.e. the system is completely idle except for the test. So, just as an example, with a download speed of 1.12 Mbps exactly how long would I be waiting to play if I wanted to download say the Ultimate Edition of New Vegas?

Best solution

February 12, 2013 6:31:35 AM

The requirements say at least 10GB free HD space. so I'm assuming the game is around that size.

1Mbps is slow when compared to the average bandwidth of places like US, Europe and SEA. On speedtest.net, you can see how you rank against others.

You would have to leave the download running for at least 2-3 days to download that game at that speed.

Hope this helps!
February 12, 2013 8:30:09 AM

you dont have to calculate it, go to the fille thats downloading and it will tell you how fast its downloading.
1.2 mb takes about 15 mins per gig. so a little over an hour and a half to download a typical dvd9 game.

actually stealth. 1.MBps isnt that slow when compared to america. there average is a poultry 5MBps. only 1 city in the u.s had gigabit and the ISP's are up in arms about it, they want it capped because they see it as unfair, even though they were given billions to upgrade the networks, which they didnt bother.... now google enters with the gigabit line and the phone companies are crying foul... american companies think the best way to do business is to give the least amount of product for the most amount of money. and because of this there is no real innovation as far as internet speeds go. they would rather cap and sue the competition than upgrade there own infrastructure. thus the very poor average speed... not only is it slow it has seriously low data caps. not cool...
in the uk the average is about 20MBps rest germany a little faster, france a little slower japan and a fair portion of the far east have had 100MBps for a few years now.
Score
Related resources
February 12, 2013 11:42:52 AM

HEXiT said:
actually stealth. 1.MBps isnt that slow when compared to america.

1Mbps is one megabit. 1MBps is one megabyte. 1 megabit is 128 kilobytes. 128KBps is slower than the U.S. average.

;) 

OP stated his speed was 1Mbps. Maybe he meant 1 megabyte - I dunno.
Score
February 13, 2013 2:14:00 AM

speedtest rates in Mbps, so 125KBps would be accurate download speed from steam, at that rate it would take roughly 22.22 hours to download 10gb game if i did my calculation right... could be wrong, crazy tired.
Score
February 13, 2013 2:16:24 AM

Yeah, that's almost a full day. If you can afford it, I'd say upgrade your internet speed.
Score
February 13, 2013 9:01:37 AM

well not all games are that much, most i usually find on steam are between 1-5GB, so really he would expect for the majority of games he would be waiting 2-11 hours, which if he really needed to he could just run the download over night. but again with that kind of download speed package, im sure that would be a bandwidth cap limiting him to a few games a month to download.

as stealth has mentioned, try and upgrade your package to something a little quicker, or what i normally do is find a third party ISP that has good speeds with high or unlimited bandwidth caps
Score
February 13, 2013 10:53:55 AM

I would never sign up with an ISP that caps your data, if you do tasks like online gaming, watching and downloading videos/music/games.
Score
February 13, 2013 5:21:02 PM

TheYellowEyedMan said:
Pretty soon here I will be building my very first dedicated gaming rig and although I already have most of my favorite games for my 360 I don't yet have a PC copy of any of them. In terms of cost my best bet to begin the process of building a collection of my favorites once I get my rig built seems to be Steam, at least for most of the titles I'm interested in. However, I'm not sure my download speed would make this feasible.

I've recently paid a visit to SpeedTest.com and if I'm correct my download speed is exactly 1.12 Mbps when the computer, or perhaps at least the internet connection, is not being utilized for anyting at all, i.e. the system is completely idle except for the test. So, just as an example, with a download speed of 1.12 Mbps exactly how long would I be waiting to play if I wanted to download say the Ultimate Edition of New Vegas?

Well, it seems like most of my assumptions about this were correct. Still, I thought it couldn't hurt to ask, seing as I have pretty limited knowledge in this area and have seen some people around the net reporting a happy experience with Steam even with a similarly slow connection. On the subject of finding affordable PC titles, however, it appears I forgot about Amazon earlier. Not sure how much I will be able to afford after buying the parts for my rig, but it seems I should be able to get what I want pretty cheap. Can't believe I didn't think to check out Amazon before because I've ordered plenty of stuff from them in the past and have always had a very good experience.

I appreciate the helpful assistance and suggestions everybody!
Score
February 13, 2013 5:22:23 PM

Best answer selected by TheYellowEyedMan.
Score
February 13, 2013 9:10:57 PM

I didn't realize you could get internet that slow. Where I live the cheapest plan from any ISP is 10Mbps down and 512Kbps up for $50 /month. My plan is the 3rd cheapest and it is 25Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up for $60.
Score
February 13, 2013 11:54:28 PM

Hi :) 

To give a comparison I am in the UK with 100mb at £35/$54 per month... no caps..

All the best Brett :) 

Score
February 14, 2013 12:04:03 AM

Dammnnnn. That is fast. Also, it appears you got moderator so congratulations. :D 

I have a cap of 250GB on mine. The only time I ever exceed it is Steam sales. :p  It has happened twice.
Score
February 14, 2013 12:06:57 AM

voiidwulf said:
Dammnnnn. That is fast. Also, it appears you got moderator so congratulations. :D 

I have a cap of 250GB on mine. The only time I ever exceed it is Steam sales. :p  It has happened twice.

Hi :) 

Thanks for the congratulations...

I am about to get a free upgrade to 120mb down and 12mb up as well , for the same price...lol

All the best Brett :) 
Score
February 14, 2013 12:34:41 AM

I have 100 Mbps down and 50Mbps up :D .
Score
February 14, 2013 2:02:19 AM

im stuck with 28Mbps down and 1Mbps up, i refuse to go with the major companies, (rogers and bell) due to bandwidth caps and crazy prices for their plans and stupid contracts. im happy paying $50 for what i have, i really want Bells fiber internet and would be willing to pay out the $200 a month for 175/175 Mbps.
Score
February 14, 2013 2:16:47 AM

sscultima said:
...would be willing to pay out the $200 a month for 175/175 Mbps.

It would be most rare that you would find a website giving you that speed. You might get 50Mbps on Youtube (as I do), but even on the big servers like Google and Microsoft, I doubt they'd be able to give you a consistent 175 Mbps. Wherever in the world, you are located.

That kind of speed might be helpful for P2P filesharing, but the person who is sending you data must also have an upload speed that fast...
Score
February 17, 2013 1:59:52 AM

i would mainly want it for server and file hosting from home, not mainly just for browsing.
Score
February 17, 2013 10:24:01 AM

sscultima said:
i would mainly want it for server and file hosting from home, not mainly just for browsing.

I guess that makes more sense...
Score
!