Free ringtones "hook"?

I see some sites around that offer free ringtones-- but you have to give
them your phone number to download. So do they use your number for TXT spam
and telemarketing?

VH

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:19:44 -0400, "Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer>
wrote:

>I see some sites around that offer free ringtones-- but you have to give
>them your phone number to download. So do they use your number for TXT spam
>and telemarketing?

Kind of vague question. I'm sure there are some that do and some that
don't.

"Evan Platt" <evan@theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:19:44 -0400, "Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer>
> wrote:
>
>>I see some sites around that offer free ringtones-- but you have to give
>>them your phone number to download. So do they use your number for TXT
>>spam
>>and telemarketing?
>

> Kind of vague question. I'm sure there are some that do and some that
> don't.
> --

An evasive non answer to a rather specific query. If you don't have anything
to contribute, keep your fingers off the keyboard...

VH

Victor Henry <swabbo@seafarer> spewed:
> "Evan Platt" <evan@theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:19:44 -0400, "Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "I see some sites around that offer free ringtones"

> An evasive non answer to a rather specific query. If you don't have
> anything to contribute, keep your fingers off the keyboard...
>
> VH

That doesn't seem very specific to me. :-/

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:13:55 -0400, "Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer>
wrote:

>An evasive non answer to a rather specific query. If you don't have anything
>to contribute, keep your fingers off the keyboard...

"I see some sites around that offer free ringtones-- but you have to
give them your phone number to download. So do they use your number
for TXT spam and telemarketing?"
is in no way a specific question.

If I asked you "I need to get an air filter for my car. Suggestions?"

I've left out quite a bit of information, haven't I?

So have you. You asked if sites use your phone to spam. Some do, some
don't. I'm sure some also sell your number. Not really any way to find
out for sure.

"Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer> wrote in message news:zpCdnZx4z-0csCnfRVn-og@comcast.com...
>I see some sites around that offer free ringtones-- but you have to give them your phone number to download. So do they use your
>number for TXT spam and telemarketing?

In most cases royalties should be paid on ringtones that are not original
compositions. So ultimately it can't be free. Either they are ripping
off the owners of the ringtone, or they intend to get their money back
from you somehow. That can be from selling your number to others, or more
likely by repeatedly offering you stuff in the hope you will buy.

You just need to follow the money.

Roger

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:13:55 -0400, "Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer>
> wrote:
>
> "I see some sites around that offer free ringtones-- but you have to
> give them your phone number to download. So do they use your number
> for TXT spam and telemarketing?"

> If I asked you "I need to get an air filter for my car. Suggestions?"
>
> I've left out quite a bit of information, haven't I?
>
> So have you. You asked if sites use your phone to spam. Some do, some
> don't. I'm sure some also sell your number. Not really any way to find
> out for sure.
> --

No, the OP question is one of generalities, not specifics.

A comparable automotive filtration question would have been along the lines
of: Should I change my air filter regularly? -- or---Are aftermarket brands
OK to use in your car. The issue isn't whether you should change it at 3500,
5000 or 7500 miles--- or whether you should use one labeled Toyota, Ford,
Fram, Acel or K&N.

There seem to be quite a lot of literal minded, simplistic thinkers in this
NG, and you sir, are one...

Victor

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> "Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer> wrote in message
>>I see some sites around that offer free ringtones-- but you have to give
>>them your phone number to download. So do they use your number for TXT
>>spam and telemarketing?
>
> In most cases royalties should be paid on ringtones that are not original
> compositions. So ultimately it can't be free. Either they are ripping
> off the owners of the ringtone, or they intend to get their money back
> from you somehow. That can be from selling your number to others, or more
> likely by repeatedly offering you stuff in the hope you will buy.
>
> You just need to follow the money.
>
> Roger

Thanks for the info.

Victor