2.80c IHS removal results in death

pddaum

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
It sounded so easy, and I guess I just got a little bit ahead of myself. I didn't think it should be so damn hard to pry that IHS off. Obviously it was so tough because the core was attached to the IHS...and sadly part of it still is. Also, the Northwood Cs I have seen had square cores while mine has a rectangular core. It was a good overclocker too. I'm not mad about the money so much as I am the loss of a good chip. Does anyone know exactly which processors can easily be removed from their IHS? What is the best method or what are people's experiences? In the case of a processor that is adhered to the IHS, is there a safe and effective way of removing it? I've heard a heat gun mentioned...anyone have any specifics? Just anything pertaining to this subject is what I'm looking for.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You could have achieved the same results with a cherry bomb! :lol: I take it you forgot to put it in the freezer first to make the adhesive brittle. Then heat it and, pop!

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!

pddaum

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
How could I have forgotten when I didn't even know that in the first place? I had never seen anything about the adhesive mentioned in guides or threads except that the Prescott's core is adhered to the IHS. I didn't think it would be an issue on any Northwood. Obviously I was wrong. Anyway, could someone point me to the best IHS removal guide or provide me with some detailed step-by-step instructions so I don't screw up my next one too. That would be much appreciated. Also I bent a few pins while I was cutting. One good way to avoid this might be to put it in the socket while cutting...any other suggestions regarding this?

Freezer (1 Hour) - Heat Gun (1min) - Pop (1sec)

<font color=blue><font color=red>Blow</font color=red> Dry <font color=red>my ass</font color=red> and call me <font color=red>Eden</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Quick question, why the F*CK do you want to remove the heatspreader?! It lowers the temperature by 2-3C, OOPDIFUCKINGDOO!! You achieve better results simply by using AS5 instead of generic thermal paste

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celebgay.html" target="_new">click here now!!</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/epilepsyr.shtml" target="_new">DON'T CLICK HERE!!</A>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
It's just another way to reach an even higher OC.

I did it to my 2.66, but I can't make any claims about temps since I only ran that for a few minutes w/o any thermal paste to check if it still worked (it did). In retrospect, I only did because I was bored; my current platform doesn't let me OC at all, anyway.

As for his failure, I've only heard of a few others (the initial Scotties were adhesed onto the IHS, ripping the core off in tandem), all of whom rushed and jabbed the blade in way too far. IHS really is easy to do.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

pddaum

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
Well I didn't cut the core with the blade...part of the core came off with the IHS. The reason I did it was for lower temps and it sounded so easy. They must have started bonding them in a way they weren't before. All I want to know at this point is: Is there a safe way to break the bond?

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Hmmm, I heard reports of D0 stepping Prescotts having bonded IHS's, but no Northwoods. Anyway, the freezer trick works well in weakening epoxy and would likely do the trick with a bit of quick handy work.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

pddaum

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
The 2.80c I screwed up was the M1 revision...my new one is the D0 revision. I am not going to attempt anything until I get some definitive knowledge about this adhesive situaton. Everything I had read prior to screwing up my M1 lead me to believe that Prescott's were the only ones likely to be adhered. That was obviously false.