PS3 On HDCP Monitor

Shade151

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
erm. You might have lucked out my friend. The PS3 does NOT like adapters for the most part.... I would say grab an HDMI to DVI cable and a DVI to VGA adapter, but I can't guarantee it would work. An HDMI to VGA cable I think is safe to guarantee, but won't do you much good if you ever upgrade your monitor.

You will need, whichever cable you buy, a Red/White female to 3.5 audio jack male adapter like this, and a female 3.5 to female 3.5 like this for your audio output.

ahmadb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I have heard that HDMI to vga does not work because HDMI is digital and vga is analog, thus, my screen would just be black.
I already have all the sound adapters so i think that's good for that part, do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

Shade151

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hmm, still say try the HDMI to DVI cable and a DVI to VGA adapter. As for the other cable I meant something like this Link, more a cable with box, or boxy cable. The biggest issue with the PS3 is that it WANTS a TV!!! It sends signals via HDMI protocol attempting to find a TV, and if it doesn't get a response, it decides not to send video signal. I feel a relationship metaphor in the making....

Anyway, this all depends on which PS3 you own. There are, to my knowledge, 3 different types; Release, Slim, and Super Slim. If you own a Release model, you shouldn't have a problem no matter what cables you use. It was like the Xbox is today, it just sends signal out everywhere all the time in hopes that you can see/hear it on one of them.

ahmadb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I guess i could try that, but what about the sound? Where would i connect the cables to?

Shade151

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
You take out your Component cable and plug it into the back of the PS3, you take the red and white ends of it (they should be bound together and say "audio") and plug them into the Red/White to 3.5mm adapter, then take the 3.5mm double ended female adapter and snap it on that, then take your speakers or a set of headphones WITH volume control and plug it into the other end.

ahmadb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

ohh, i thought when plugging in the hdmi input the component slot is disabled, but thanks, ill try that :)