Sign in with
Your question

PS3 On HDCP Monitor

Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2013 1:00:45 PM

Hey,
I just brought a PS3 Super Slim model. I have the monitor HP w1907s monitor which is HDCP as shown here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...
However, it does not have a DVI port and i want to connect the ps3 to my monitor.
Would i be able to use either:
Av To VGA cable
HDMI to VGA cable

Thanks.

More about : ps3 hdcp monitor

February 13, 2013 1:04:24 PM

erm. You might have lucked out my friend. The PS3 does NOT like adapters for the most part.... I would say grab an HDMI to DVI cable and a DVI to VGA adapter, but I can't guarantee it would work. An HDMI to VGA cable I think is safe to guarantee, but won't do you much good if you ever upgrade your monitor.

You will need, whichever cable you buy, a Red/White female to 3.5 audio jack male adapter like this, and a female 3.5 to female 3.5 like this for your audio output.
February 13, 2013 4:55:03 PM

Shade151 said:
erm. You might have lucked out my friend. The PS3 does NOT like adapters for the most part.... I would say grab an HDMI to DVI cable and a DVI to VGA adapter, but I can't guarantee it would work. An HDMI to VGA cable I think is safe to guarantee, but won't do you much good if you ever upgrade your monitor.

You will need, whichever cable you buy, a Red/White female to 3.5 audio jack male adapter like this, and a female 3.5 to female 3.5 like this for your audio output.

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I have heard that HDMI to vga does not work because HDMI is digital and vga is analog, thus, my screen would just be black.
I already have all the sound adapters so i think that's good for that part, do you have any other ideas?

Thanks
Related resources
February 18, 2013 5:43:03 PM

Hmm, still say try the HDMI to DVI cable and a DVI to VGA adapter. As for the other cable I meant something like this Link, more a cable with box, or boxy cable. The biggest issue with the PS3 is that it WANTS a TV!!! It sends signals via HDMI protocol attempting to find a TV, and if it doesn't get a response, it decides not to send video signal. I feel a relationship metaphor in the making....

Anyway, this all depends on which PS3 you own. There are, to my knowledge, 3 different types; Release, Slim, and Super Slim. If you own a Release model, you shouldn't have a problem no matter what cables you use. It was like the Xbox is today, it just sends signal out everywhere all the time in hopes that you can see/hear it on one of them.
February 18, 2013 9:09:34 PM

Shade151 said:
Hmm, still say try the HDMI to DVI cable and a DVI to VGA adapter. As for the other cable I meant something like this Link, more a cable with box, or boxy cable. The biggest issue with the PS3 is that it WANTS a TV!!! It sends signals via HDMI protocol attempting to find a TV, and if it doesn't get a response, it decides not to send video signal. I feel a relationship metaphor in the making....

Anyway, this all depends on which PS3 you own. There are, to my knowledge, 3 different types; Release, Slim, and Super Slim. If you own a Release model, you shouldn't have a problem no matter what cables you use. It was like the Xbox is today, it just sends signal out everywhere all the time in hopes that you can see/hear it on one of them.

I guess i could try that, but what about the sound? Where would i connect the cables to?
February 19, 2013 4:45:14 AM

You take out your Component cable and plug it into the back of the PS3, you take the red and white ends of it (they should be bound together and say "audio") and plug them into the Red/White to 3.5mm adapter, then take the 3.5mm double ended female adapter and snap it on that, then take your speakers or a set of headphones WITH volume control and plug it into the other end.
February 19, 2013 9:23:39 AM

Shade151 said:
You take out your Component cable and plug it into the back of the PS3, you take the red and white ends of it (they should be bound together and say "audio") and plug them into the Red/White to 3.5mm adapter, then take the 3.5mm double ended female adapter and snap it on that, then take your speakers or a set of headphones WITH volume control and plug it into the other end.

ohh, i thought when plugging in the hdmi input the component slot is disabled, but thanks, ill try that :) 
February 20, 2013 9:14:46 PM

Its in the settings, you can set the audio and video output to separate cables/plugs.
!