Dead 667c LC; need mobo?

I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001 with
WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
warrantee).

On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case. One
was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the thickness
of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.

Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.

The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by 7½
inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.

I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is a
lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and Internet
use.

TIA

Dick
9 answers Last reply
More about dead 667c mobo

    To my very ignorant ear, sounds like a transistor and a cooked capacitor
    (remember them? They came separately and you had to solder them in
    yourself). Can't help further. Bit of a useless post, then.
    RAF <flisrand1@remove.charternet> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001
    with
    > WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
    > warrantee).
    >

    > On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case.
    One
    > was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
    > sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the
    thickness
    > of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
    > plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.
    >

    > Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
    > lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.
    >

    > The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by

    > inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.
    >

    > I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
    > replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is a
    > lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and Internet
    > use.
    >

    > TIA
    >

    > Dick

    The board is clearly damaged, and not worth repairing. The parts you describe
    sound like a capacitor and maybe a voltage regulator. Best to find a
    replacement motherboard... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 9 May 2004 20:19:57 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet> wrote:

    >I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001 with
    >WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
    >warrantee).
    >

    >On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case. One
    >was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
    >sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the thickness
    >of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
    >plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.
    >

    >Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
    >lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.
    >

    >The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by 7½
    >inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.
    >

    >I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
    >replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is a
    >lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and Internet
    >use.
    >

    >TIA
    >

    >Dick

    Yes, I'm thinking replacement. Suggestions? Will GW sell one? Are there
    other alternatives that would be good but economical boards? Dick

    > The board is clearly damaged, and not worth repairing. The parts you
    describe
    > sound like a capacitor and maybe a voltage regulator. Best to find a
    > replacement motherboard... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 9 May 2004 20:19:57 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet>
    wrote:

    > >I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001
    with
    > >WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
    > >warrantee).
    > >

    > >On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case.
    One
    > >was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
    > >sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the
    thickness
    > >of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
    > >plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.
    > >

    > >Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
    > >lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.
    > >

    > >The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by

    > >inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.
    > >

    > >I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
    > >replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is
    > >lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and
    Internet
    > >use.
    > >

    > >TIA
    > >

    > >Dick

    Dick,

    If Gateway even has a replacement motherboard to sell, you would pay them an
    outrageous price for it.

    The Gateway web site does not provide sufficient info, easily accessible, to
    determine the size and type of motherboard for the 667c LC model. If you want
    to open up the case and describe the board layout and/or any stickers and
    identifying info on the board, somebody here may be able to help you figure out
    what it takes to get a replacement board.

    Things to look for:

    1. Any and all stickers and other markings.
    2. Placement of the slots for add-in cards, either on the motherboard itself or
    maybe on a separate riser card.
    3. Number and type of slots. AGP slots are brown, PCI slots are white-beige,
    and ISA slots are black.

    I would guess that this model has a 667MHz Celeron processor in it, so if the
    motherboard is either microATX or full ATX in size, inexpensive replacements are
    still readily available at affordable prices... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:08:45 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet> wrote:

    >Yes, I'm thinking replacement. Suggestions? Will GW sell one? Are there
    >other alternatives that would be good but economical boards? Dick

    >> The board is clearly damaged, and not worth repairing. The parts you
    >describe
    >> sound like a capacitor and maybe a voltage regulator. Best to find a
    >> replacement motherboard... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sun, 9 May 2004 20:19:57 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001
    >with
    >> >WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
    >> >warrantee).
    >> >

    >> >On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case.
    >One
    >> >was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
    >> >sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the
    >thickness
    >> >of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
    >> >plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.
    >> >

    >> >Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
    >> >lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.
    >> >

    >> >The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by
    >7½
    >> >inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.
    >> >

    >> >I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
    >> >replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is
    >> >lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and
    >Internet
    >> >use.
    >> >

    >> >TIA
    >> >

    >> >Dick

    Thanks Ben. From my original post:

    "The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by
    7½ inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots."

    MicroATX. No APG nor ISA slots nor riser boards, Celeron 667, and the CPU
    recepticle says PGA370. There is one white label/sticker with a very long
    number: N20600ER301578 LCPC2 BA92-01089A. The IO panel has 2/PS2, 2USB V.1,
    1LPT, (no COM), 1VGA, 1audio out, 1 mic in (think that is what it is) and
    1Ethernet.

    Looking for microATX SlotA/370 boards online, I find very few. I guess I am
    not looking the right places. I did find the following for around $50 with
    shipping:

    http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=STSI_4&Product_Code=MBB-TS20-B

    Dick

    > Dick,
    >
    > If Gateway even has a replacement motherboard to sell, you would pay them
    an
    > outrageous price for it.
    >
    > The Gateway web site does not provide sufficient info, easily accessible,
    > determine the size and type of motherboard for the 667c LC model. If you
    want
    > to open up the case and describe the board layout and/or any stickers and
    > identifying info on the board, somebody here may be able to help you
    figure out
    > what it takes to get a replacement board.
    >
    > Things to look for:
    >
    > 1. Any and all stickers and other markings.
    > 2. Placement of the slots for add-in cards, either on the motherboard
    itself or
    > maybe on a separate riser card.
    > 3. Number and type of slots. AGP slots are brown, PCI slots are
    white-beige,
    > and ISA slots are black.
    >
    > I would guess that this model has a 667MHz Celeron processor in it, so if
    the
    > motherboard is either microATX or full ATX in size, inexpensive
    replacements are
    > still readily available at affordable prices... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:08:45 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet>
    wrote:

    > >Yes, I'm thinking replacement. Suggestions? Will GW sell one? Are there
    > >other alternatives that would be good but economical boards? Dick
    > >
    > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >> The board is clearly damaged, and not worth repairing. The parts you
    > >describe
    > >> sound like a capacitor and maybe a voltage regulator. Best to find a
    > >> replacement motherboard... Ben Myers

    > >with

    > >One
    > >thickness

    > >7½

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I missed that info. Certainly the board manufacturer is not Intel, which makes
    finding more info about the board on the Gateway web site a needle-in-a-haystack
    proposition.

    No matter. MicroATX boards are readily available, but often not identified as
    such. But Socket 370 boards are ever less and less available these days, with
    the widespread use of Pentium 4 Socket 478 boards. A Pentium 4 or high end AMD
    board requires an additional power supply connector beyond the usual ATX
    connector on the power supply in the 667c LC.

    The board at the URL you found is a smaller flex ATX, which will fit in the
    Gateway chassis, but has more limited capabilities with its single PCI slot than
    a microATX. I'll leave it to others comment on the quality of Abit brand
    boards... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:34:42 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet> wrote:

    >Thanks Ben. From my original post:
    >
    >"The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by
    >7½ inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots."
    >
    >MicroATX. No APG nor ISA slots nor riser boards, Celeron 667, and the CPU
    >recepticle says PGA370. There is one white label/sticker with a very long
    >number: N20600ER301578 LCPC2 BA92-01089A. The IO panel has 2/PS2, 2USB V.1,
    >1LPT, (no COM), 1VGA, 1audio out, 1 mic in (think that is what it is) and
    >1Ethernet.
    >
    >Looking for microATX SlotA/370 boards online, I find very few. I guess I am
    >not looking the right places. I did find the following for around $50 with
    >shipping:
    >
    >http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=STSI_4&Product_Code=MBB-TS20-B
    >
    >Dick

    >> Dick,
    >>
    >> If Gateway even has a replacement motherboard to sell, you would pay them
    >an
    >> outrageous price for it.
    >>
    >> The Gateway web site does not provide sufficient info, easily accessible,
    >> determine the size and type of motherboard for the 667c LC model. If you
    >want
    >> to open up the case and describe the board layout and/or any stickers and
    >> identifying info on the board, somebody here may be able to help you
    >figure out
    >> what it takes to get a replacement board.
    >>
    >> Things to look for:
    >>
    >> 1. Any and all stickers and other markings.
    >> 2. Placement of the slots for add-in cards, either on the motherboard
    >itself or
    >> maybe on a separate riser card.
    >> 3. Number and type of slots. AGP slots are brown, PCI slots are
    >white-beige,
    >> and ISA slots are black.
    >>
    >> I would guess that this model has a 667MHz Celeron processor in it, so if
    >the
    >> motherboard is either microATX or full ATX in size, inexpensive
    >replacements are
    >> still readily available at affordable prices... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:08:45 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >Yes, I'm thinking replacement. Suggestions? Will GW sell one? Are there
    >> >other alternatives that would be good but economical boards? Dick
    >> >
    >> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> >describe

    >2001
    >> >with

    >case.
    >> >One
    >> >thickness
    >black

    >have

    >by
    >> >7½

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Hmmm . . . .

    I missed that there was only 1 PCI slot, but I guess in this application it
    would work, as the only card in the computer was a PCI modem.

    Perhaps I'll take a look on E-bay. It seems a shame to part out such a new
    computer, but it was cheap, I expect. Any other suggestions are welcome.
    Dick

> [...]
    and
    > >> identifying info on the board, somebody here may be able to help you
    > >figure out
    > >> what it takes to get a replacement board.
    > >>
    > >> Things to look for:
    > >>
    > >> 1. Any and all stickers and other markings.
    > >> 2. Placement of the slots for add-in cards, either on the motherboard
    > >itself or
    > >> maybe on a separate riser card.
    > >> 3. Number and type of slots. AGP slots are brown, PCI slots are
    > >white-beige,
    > >> and ISA slots are black.
    > >>
    > >> I would guess that this model has a 667MHz Celeron processor in it, so
    if
    > >the
    > >> motherboard is either microATX or full ATX in size, inexpensive
    > >replacements are
    > >> still readily available at affordable prices... Ben Myers

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    need help with my motherboard connections,my powersupply had to be
    replace,i got a new case with powersupply included for 37.oo.wich
    motherboard did you get,if you don't have one,buy a 370 motherboard so you
    can use your old cpu.these are the connections i am having trouble finding
    don't know where to connect them in the motherboard,my computer was all
    apart when i got it.my motherboard is the same as your's 667c gateway does
    not give info on there motherboards setup.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Miguel,

    I gave up trying to fix my dead computer, as I didn't find a motherboard to
    use.

    Junk Heap Time!!

    Dick

    "miguel" <brymisu@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
    > need help with my motherboard connections,my powersupply had to be
    > replace,i got a new case with powersupply included for 37.oo.wich
    > motherboard did you get,if you don't have one,buy a 370 motherboard so you
    > can use your old cpu.these are the connections i am having trouble finding
    > don't know where to connect them in the motherboard,my computer was all
    > apart when i got it.my motherboard is the same as your's 667c gateway does
    > not give info on there motherboards setup.

Gateway Computers