Dead 667c LC; need mobo?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
May 10, 2004 12:19:57 AM

I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001 with
WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
warrantee).

On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case. One
was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the thickness
of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.

Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.

The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by 7½
inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.

I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is a
lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and Internet
use.

TIA

Dick

More about : dead 667c mobo

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 3:32:36 PM

To my very ignorant ear, sounds like a transistor and a cooked capacitor
(remember them? They came separately and you had to solder them in
yourself). Can't help further. Bit of a useless post, then.
RAF <flisrand1@remove.charternet> wrote in message
> I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001
with
> WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
> warrantee).
>

> On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case.
One
> was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
> sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the
thickness
> of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
> plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.
>

> Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
> lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.
>

> The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by

> inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.
>

> I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
> replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is a
> lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and Internet
> use.
>

> TIA
>

> Dick

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 3:46:55 PM

The board is clearly damaged, and not worth repairing. The parts you describe
sound like a capacitor and maybe a voltage regulator. Best to find a
replacement motherboard... Ben Myers

On Sun, 9 May 2004 20:19:57 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet> wrote:

>I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001 with
>WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
>warrantee).
>

>On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case. One
>was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
>sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the thickness
>of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
>plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.
>

>Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
>lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.
>

>The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by 7½
>inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.
>

>I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
>replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is a
>lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and Internet
>use.
>

>TIA
>

>Dick

Related resources
May 10, 2004 3:46:56 PM

Yes, I'm thinking replacement. Suggestions? Will GW sell one? Are there
other alternatives that would be good but economical boards? Dick

> The board is clearly damaged, and not worth repairing. The parts you
describe
> sound like a capacitor and maybe a voltage regulator. Best to find a
> replacement motherboard... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 9 May 2004 20:19:57 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet>
wrote:

> >I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001
with
> >WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
> >warrantee).
> >

> >On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case.
One
> >was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
> >sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the
thickness
> >of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
> >plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.
> >

> >Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
> >lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.
> >

> >The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by

> >inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.
> >

> >I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
> >replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is
> >lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and
Internet
> >use.
> >

> >TIA
> >

> >Dick

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 5:39:48 PM

Dick,

If Gateway even has a replacement motherboard to sell, you would pay them an
outrageous price for it.

The Gateway web site does not provide sufficient info, easily accessible, to
determine the size and type of motherboard for the 667c LC model. If you want
to open up the case and describe the board layout and/or any stickers and
identifying info on the board, somebody here may be able to help you figure out
what it takes to get a replacement board.

Things to look for:

1. Any and all stickers and other markings.
2. Placement of the slots for add-in cards, either on the motherboard itself or
maybe on a separate riser card.
3. Number and type of slots. AGP slots are brown, PCI slots are white-beige,
and ISA slots are black.

I would guess that this model has a 667MHz Celeron processor in it, so if the
motherboard is either microATX or full ATX in size, inexpensive replacements are
still readily available at affordable prices... Ben Myers

On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:08:45 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet> wrote:

>Yes, I'm thinking replacement. Suggestions? Will GW sell one? Are there
>other alternatives that would be good but economical boards? Dick

>> The board is clearly damaged, and not worth repairing. The parts you
>describe
>> sound like a capacitor and maybe a voltage regulator. Best to find a
>> replacement motherboard... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sun, 9 May 2004 20:19:57 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet>
>wrote:
>>
>> >I'm trying to fix a Gateway, model 667c LC manufactured October of 2001
>with
>> >WinMe. It was brought to me dead. Serial number is 1097089043 (out of
>> >warrantee).
>> >

>> >On opening the case, I found two parts loose on the bottom of the case.
>One
>> >was the black square guy about 3/8 inches square with three contacts
>> >sticking out, and the other was a hollow aluminum tube, about the
>thickness
>> >of a very skinny pencil and about 3/8 inches long with remnants of black
>> >plastic coating on the outside but nothing inside.
>> >

>> >Looking at the mobo, I don't see a place where the loose parts would have
>> >lived, but I assume the mobo was their original home.
>> >

>> >The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by
>7½
>> >inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots.
>> >

>> >I assume the Celeron 667 and fan are OK but that the mobo needs to be
>> >replaced. Recommendations?? If mobo, Gateway?? Other mobo? The owner is
>> >lady in her 70s and I don't think she does much beyond E-mail and
>Internet
>> >use.
>> >

>> >TIA
>> >

>> >Dick

May 10, 2004 5:39:49 PM

Thanks Ben. From my original post:

"The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by
7½ inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots."

MicroATX. No APG nor ISA slots nor riser boards, Celeron 667, and the CPU
recepticle says PGA370. There is one white label/sticker with a very long
number: N20600ER301578 LCPC2 BA92-01089A. The IO panel has 2/PS2, 2USB V.1,
1LPT, (no COM), 1VGA, 1audio out, 1 mic in (think that is what it is) and
1Ethernet.

Looking for microATX SlotA/370 boards online, I find very few. I guess I am
not looking the right places. I did find the following for around $50 with
shipping:

http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&S...

Dick

> Dick,
>
> If Gateway even has a replacement motherboard to sell, you would pay them
an
> outrageous price for it.
>
> The Gateway web site does not provide sufficient info, easily accessible,
> determine the size and type of motherboard for the 667c LC model. If you
want
> to open up the case and describe the board layout and/or any stickers and
> identifying info on the board, somebody here may be able to help you
figure out
> what it takes to get a replacement board.
>
> Things to look for:
>
> 1. Any and all stickers and other markings.
> 2. Placement of the slots for add-in cards, either on the motherboard
itself or
> maybe on a separate riser card.
> 3. Number and type of slots. AGP slots are brown, PCI slots are
white-beige,
> and ISA slots are black.
>
> I would guess that this model has a 667MHz Celeron processor in it, so if
the
> motherboard is either microATX or full ATX in size, inexpensive
replacements are
> still readily available at affordable prices... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:08:45 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet>
wrote:

> >Yes, I'm thinking replacement. Suggestions? Will GW sell one? Are there
> >other alternatives that would be good but economical boards? Dick
> >
> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> The board is clearly damaged, and not worth repairing. The parts you
> >describe
> >> sound like a capacitor and maybe a voltage regulator. Best to find a
> >> replacement motherboard... Ben Myers

> >with

> >One
> >thickness

> >7½

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 8:13:29 PM

I missed that info. Certainly the board manufacturer is not Intel, which makes
finding more info about the board on the Gateway web site a needle-in-a-haystack
proposition.

No matter. MicroATX boards are readily available, but often not identified as
such. But Socket 370 boards are ever less and less available these days, with
the widespread use of Pentium 4 Socket 478 boards. A Pentium 4 or high end AMD
board requires an additional power supply connector beyond the usual ATX
connector on the power supply in the 667c LC.

The board at the URL you found is a smaller flex ATX, which will fit in the
Gateway chassis, but has more limited capabilities with its single PCI slot than
a microATX. I'll leave it to others comment on the quality of Abit brand
boards... Ben Myers

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:34:42 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet> wrote:

>Thanks Ben. From my original post:
>
>"The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½ by
>7½ inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots."
>
>MicroATX. No APG nor ISA slots nor riser boards, Celeron 667, and the CPU
>recepticle says PGA370. There is one white label/sticker with a very long
>number: N20600ER301578 LCPC2 BA92-01089A. The IO panel has 2/PS2, 2USB V.1,
>1LPT, (no COM), 1VGA, 1audio out, 1 mic in (think that is what it is) and
>1Ethernet.
>
>Looking for microATX SlotA/370 boards online, I find very few. I guess I am
>not looking the right places. I did find the following for around $50 with
>shipping:
>
>http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&S...
>
>Dick

>> Dick,
>>
>> If Gateway even has a replacement motherboard to sell, you would pay them
>an
>> outrageous price for it.
>>
>> The Gateway web site does not provide sufficient info, easily accessible,
>> determine the size and type of motherboard for the 667c LC model. If you
>want
>> to open up the case and describe the board layout and/or any stickers and
>> identifying info on the board, somebody here may be able to help you
>figure out
>> what it takes to get a replacement board.
>>
>> Things to look for:
>>
>> 1. Any and all stickers and other markings.
>> 2. Placement of the slots for add-in cards, either on the motherboard
>itself or
>> maybe on a separate riser card.
>> 3. Number and type of slots. AGP slots are brown, PCI slots are
>white-beige,
>> and ISA slots are black.
>>
>> I would guess that this model has a 667MHz Celeron processor in it, so if
>the
>> motherboard is either microATX or full ATX in size, inexpensive
>replacements are
>> still readily available at affordable prices... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:08:45 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet>
>wrote:
>>
>> >Yes, I'm thinking replacement. Suggestions? Will GW sell one? Are there
>> >other alternatives that would be good but economical boards? Dick
>> >
>> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> >describe

>2001
>> >with

>case.
>> >One
>> >thickness
>black

>have

>by
>> >7½

May 10, 2004 8:13:30 PM

Hmmm . . . .

I missed that there was only 1 PCI slot, but I guess in this application it
would work, as the only card in the computer was a PCI modem.

Perhaps I'll take a look on E-bay. It seems a shame to part out such a new
computer, but it was cheap, I expect. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Dick

> I missed that info. Certainly the board manufacturer is not Intel, which
makes
> finding more info about the board on the Gateway web site a
needle-in-a-haystack
> proposition.
>
> No matter. MicroATX boards are readily available, but often not
identified as
> such. But Socket 370 boards are ever less and less available these days,
with
> the widespread use of Pentium 4 Socket 478 boards. A Pentium 4 or high
end AMD
> board requires an additional power supply connector beyond the usual ATX
> connector on the power supply in the 667c LC.
>
> The board at the URL you found is a smaller flex ATX, which will fit in
the
> Gateway chassis, but has more limited capabilities with its single PCI
slot than
> a microATX. I'll leave it to others comment on the quality of Abit brand
> boards... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:34:42 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@remove.charternet>
wrote:

> >Thanks Ben. From my original post:
> >
> >"The motherboard is labeled model 601M-24AGM. Size is 19CM by 24CM (9½
by
> >7½ inches) with two memory slots and two PCI slots."
> >
> >MicroATX. No APG nor ISA slots nor riser boards, Celeron 667, and the
CPU
> >recepticle says PGA370. There is one white label/sticker with a very long
> >number: N20600ER301578 LCPC2 BA92-01089A. The IO panel has 2/PS2, 2USB
V.1,
> >1LPT, (no COM), 1VGA, 1audio out, 1 mic in (think that is what it is) and
> >1Ethernet.
> >
> >Looking for microATX SlotA/370 boards online, I find very few. I guess I
am
> >not looking the right places. I did find the following for around $50
with
> >shipping:
> >

>http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&S...
duct_Code=MBB-TS20-B

> >Dick
> >
> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> Dick,
> >>
> >> If Gateway even has a replacement motherboard to sell, you would pay
them
> >an
> >> outrageous price for it.
> >>
> >> The Gateway web site does not provide sufficient info, easily
accessible,
> >> determine the size and type of motherboard for the 667c LC model. If
you
> >want
> >> to open up the case and describe the board layout and/or any stickers
and
> >> identifying info on the board, somebody here may be able to help you
> >figure out
> >> what it takes to get a replacement board.
> >>
> >> Things to look for:
> >>
> >> 1. Any and all stickers and other markings.
> >> 2. Placement of the slots for add-in cards, either on the motherboard
> >itself or
> >> maybe on a separate riser card.
> >> 3. Number and type of slots. AGP slots are brown, PCI slots are
> >white-beige,
> >> and ISA slots are black.
> >>
> >> I would guess that this model has a 667MHz Celeron processor in it, so
if
> >the
> >> motherboard is either microATX or full ATX in size, inexpensive
> >replacements are
> >> still readily available at affordable prices... Ben Myers

<flisrand1@remove.charternet>

> >2001

> >case.
> >black

> >have

> >by

June 26, 2004 4:16:19 PM

need help with my motherboard connections,my powersupply had to be
replace,i got a new case with powersupply included for 37.oo.wich
motherboard did you get,if you don't have one,buy a 370 motherboard so you
can use your old cpu.these are the connections i am having trouble finding
don't know where to connect them in the motherboard,my computer was all
apart when i got it.my motherboard is the same as your's 667c gateway does
not give info on there motherboards setup.
July 5, 2004 11:15:09 PM

Miguel,

I gave up trying to fix my dead computer, as I didn't find a motherboard to
use.

Junk Heap Time!!

Dick

!