Windows 7 or 8 for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcfballplayer43

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hey guys, I just build a new pc for gaming and I'm torn on the OS. I've heard that 7 is better for gaming; however, 8's bugs are being fixed and that 8 is much better overall. What is your opinion? Like I said, I'll be using it for gaming and just general stuff.

Solution
As stated performance is the same, 8 may have some early bugs in some games but also may have future performance benefits (like direct X 11.1) that may not come to 7. If you had 7 then getting 8 is pointless but if you have neither its a matter of which you prefer based on what you know.

shADy81

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
I can only comment that I have Windows 8 on a newish build and I have yet to have any problems running any games and or in anything else.

I have Steam and have played Far Cry 3, The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Starcraft 2 Borderlands 2 etc...... If you love the start button (I don't I never used it from win 95 onwards) then you can download a program called 'Start 8' to reinstate it.The Metro interface I just don't use :) Desktop is one click away from it.

Thats just my opinion though, theres plenty of hate for Win 8 around its down to what you want really :)

phil_livesey

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

Why not just stick with Windows 7 then?
I have Windows 8 and the way i see it, with tablets and smartphones becoming the norm, i doubt Microsoft will bring back the start button. You may as well just get used to the changes Microsoft make because it will be in Windows to come.

ZakX11

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Not really sure as I've had no problems with games nor have I seen any sort of improvement in performance. Although the UI does piss me off sometimes , cuz I'm more of a desktop guy , blah blah blah that's a moot point.
So I don't think i have sufficient proof to state that Win 8 is better for gaming. But obviously DirectX12 is also a feature so I'm guessing Win 8 will be better for gaming when games optimized for D12 start releasing.

There is very little to no difference between the two to your average everyday user as far as performance in gaming is concerned.
There are some nice new features in W8 but nothing I would call a "must have"
If you are happy having to learn how to work a new way then go for W8. No doubt that you are aware of the UI differences between the two ?

Personally I would always advise people to stick with W7

Mactronix :)

i am not knocking 8 as such--havent really had any issues other than the new interface

just dont like it booting to all those tiles--i want access to my desk top when i boot--first tile i click on is the

desk top one

and why not give people an option to have the start button or not have it

it may work great on a touch screen device like a tablet or phone

but far as i am concerned the tiles and no start button dont work as well for me on a desk top pc

DragonClaw

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
For gaming Windows 7. Reason? There are compaitability issues with some new titles.
Performance is same on both the OSs. So it will not matter. You can still go for the Windows 8, if you were heavily amused by the tiles and the replaced start menu.

Rick

As stated performance is the same, 8 may have some early bugs in some games but also may have future performance benefits (like direct X 11.1) that may not come to 7. If you had 7 then getting 8 is pointless but if you have neither its a matter of which you prefer based on what you know.

Solution

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
DirectX11.1 that was unique to W8, I recall.
Can we expect more of that stuff?
Because in that case there are currently still some issues with W8, but in future there might be a notable disadvantage to run W7.
If you have to buy a new one either way W8 may be the way to go based on that.

I don't see a .1 iteration of DX being a reason to upgrade. Microsoft hung their hat on DX10 being enough of a reason to force people onto Vista and that did not happen either as the games were not there to make the change relevant.
It will take a good few years before the DX version is a reason to upgrade. Even allowing for the new consoles coming out.

Mactronix :)

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
11.1 hardly impact gaming at all. Something about 3d monitor rendering only, I believe.
So no reason to choose either way there, I agree.
I'm just wondering if they'll pull a similar stunt with something more crucial to gaming at some point.
Support for [whatever new monitor technology comes out next], supported under W8 only.

Status
Not open for further replies.