Best Firewall?

Ok I am running WindowsXP SP2 with windows firewall..What is the BEST
firewall out there?.And please don't say Norton..I need something other than
the windows firewall.thanks in advance..

well i use Norton IS and SW.

i also have a built in firewall on my webserver

--
Nutty
"RH710" <rhall710@mail.com> wrote in message
> Ok I am running WindowsXP SP2 with windows firewall..What is the BEST
> firewall out there?.And please don't say Norton..I need something other
than
> the windows firewall.thanks in advance..

In article <pXhBc.75$6w4.43@newsfe5-win>, marc.nutty@ntlworld.com
says...
> well i use Norton IS and SW.
>
> i also have a built in firewall on my webserver

That's an interesting one - what web server platform are you using? What
"built-in" firewall are you talking about?

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

RH710 wrote:

> Ok I am running WindowsXP SP2 with windows firewall..What is the BEST
> firewall out there?.

None.

> And please don't say Norton..I need something other
> than the windows firewall.

Why, whatfor?

Wolfgag
--
A foreign body and a foreign mind
never welcome in the land of the blind.

Mike

Splendid

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> In article <pXhBc.75$6w4.43@newsfe5-win>, marc.nutty@ntlworld.com
> says...
> > well i use Norton IS and SW.
> >
> > i also have a built in firewall on my webserver
>
> That's an interesting one - what web server platform are you using? What
> "built-in" firewall are you talking about?

Apache on Linux with IP tables perhaps? ;-)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:35:16 +0100, Mike spoketh

>"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> In article <pXhBc.75$6w4.43@newsfe5-win>, marc.nutty@ntlworld.com
>> says...
>> > well i use Norton IS and SW.
>> >
>> > i also have a built in firewall on my webserver
>>
>> That's an interesting one - what web server platform are you using? What
>> "built-in" firewall are you talking about?
>
>Apache on Linux with IP tables perhaps? ;-)

That wouldn't be a built-in firewall on the webserver... That would be a
firewall running on the same machine as the webserver.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

casey

In article <jqfBc.8256$U.2182@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>, rhall710@mail.com says...
> Ok I am running WindowsXP SP2 with windows firewall..What is the BEST
> firewall out there?.And please don't say Norton..I need something other than
> the windows firewall.thanks in advance..

I run Sygate v5.5. Its a very good firewall. There are versions
for XP and 2000 at
http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php

In article <cb4i0d$287$1@thorium.cix.co.uk>, mike@michaelmoyse.co.uk
says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > In article <pXhBc.75$6w4.43@newsfe5-win>, marc.nutty@ntlworld.com
> > says...
> > > well i use Norton IS and SW.
> > >
> > > i also have a built in firewall on my webserver
> >
> > That's an interesting one - what web server platform are you using? What
> > "built-in" firewall are you talking about?
>
> Apache on Linux with IP tables perhaps? ;-)

Did you miss the part about Norton IS and SW running on it?

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:29:03 GMT, "RH710" <rhall710@mail.com> wrote:

>Ok I am running WindowsXP SP2 with windows firewall..What is the BEST
>firewall out there?.And please don't say Norton..I need something other than
>the windows firewall.thanks in advance..

I was about to recommend "Kerio Personal Firewall" version 2.15, but I
don't know if I can.
I'm sick of these random once in a month bluescreens the fwdrv.sys
manage to do to me. Although I made TWO reg-changes yesterday to fix
it, but I'm a non-believing technician, so it probably will blue me
again in a few week.

Besides that, kpf is a really good firewall, maybe to advanced for
you, if you are used to windows firewall (where is it?).

But try it, you prolly have to dl it from dc or something since its
obsolete on the co site.

Good day mate.

--
/Bene

> In article <cb4i0d$287$1@thorium.cix.co.uk>, mike@michaelmoyse.co.uk
> says...
> >
> > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > In article <pXhBc.75$6w4.43@newsfe5-win>, marc.nutty@ntlworld.com
> > > says...

> > > That's an interesting one - what web server platform are you using?
What
> > > "built-in" firewall are you talking about?
> >
> > Apache on Linux with IP tables perhaps? ;-)
>
> Did you miss the part about Norton IS and SW running on it?

Did you miss the winking smiley?

Anybody know the smiley for tongue in cheek????

In article <cb6572$m0u$1@thorium.cix.co.uk>, nospam@notherematey.com
says...
> > > Apache on Linux with IP tables perhaps? ;-)
> >
> > Did you miss the part about Norton IS and SW running on it?
>
> Did you miss the winking smiley?

Yes, I did miss it.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:11:11 +0100, "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com>
wrote:

>Anybody know the smiley for tongue in cheek????

No but the one for :()()

--
/Bene

In article <jqfBc.8256$U.2182@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>, rhall710@mail.com
says...
> Ok I am running WindowsXP SP2 with windows firewall..What is the BEST
> firewall out there?.And please don't say Norton..I need something other than
> the windows firewall.thanks in advance..

Watchguard Firebox. It's external, not software. About $350us for
homes, a few thousand for business.

On the inexpensive side, Linksys router/firewall. These can be had for
less than $100us ($30 for a non-wireless version).

In article <MPG.1b43c08fb822f7e1989687@news.individual.net>,
strommsarnac@yahoo.com says...
> In article <jqfBc.8256$U.2182@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>, rhall710@mail.com
> says...
> > Ok I am running WindowsXP SP2 with windows firewall..What is the BEST
> > firewall out there?.And please don't say Norton..I need something other than
> > the windows firewall.thanks in advance..
> >

> Watchguard Firebox. It's external, not software. About $350us for
> homes, a few thousand for business.
>

> On the inexpensive side, Linksys router/firewall. These can be had for
> less than $100us ($30 for a non-wireless version).

The SOHO units are under $400. The low end business units start around
$1600 and go up from there. The $1600 unit, the 700, will do everything
that the 2500 does, but doesn't do it as fast.

If you are spending $4000 on a server for your business (or more), then
a cheap $400 SOHO or a $1600 Firebox is a small price for security. I'm
sure that other vendors have SOHO and low end appliances in the same
price ranges.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)