May 3, 2011 4:37:55 AM

So, that is the Radeon 6690.
May 3, 2011 4:59:59 AM

Exciting! I am curious to see benchmarks
Related resources
May 3, 2011 5:09:14 AM

countdown to Fanboi zealot posts!!
May 3, 2011 5:15:17 AM

I'm a Fanboi, hear me roAAARRRR :p  . joking aside it'll be interest for the laptop/notebook market. maybe I'll pass this along to a friend who is looking to upgrade his c**ppy Dell laptop
May 3, 2011 5:25:03 AM

Awesome, it sounds exactly like a HTPC's best friend!
May 3, 2011 5:26:43 AM

An here are the first ones.
Putting that aside, I'm curious about the 6550 included on the llano apu.
Benchmarks please
May 3, 2011 5:27:31 AM

I dream when I can buy a laptop that can game decently with an IGP. I would be more than happy to play Team Fortress 2 and Street Fighter IV on my laptop without having to go over budget.
a b À AMD
May 3, 2011 5:40:02 AM

On the graphics front, it will probably easily beat SB. While HD3K is decent, its not the same as a discrete GPU.

But in CPU power, I don't think it will keep up with SB.

Each will have their strong and weak points. Sounds like a good mix and match.

SB for CPU power and overclocking, Llano for cheaper low end gaming.
May 3, 2011 5:46:59 AM

@lpedraja2002:
Sandybridge laptops play TF2 and SF4 just fine.
May 3, 2011 5:47:29 AM

If they implement the hybrid crossfire properly, I'm getting a 6670 plus this chip and decently game at under 200W. I hope they don't overprice. For the first time in 5 years I am seriously considering an AMD setup because of this.
May 3, 2011 6:57:00 AM

Zambezi is the one that is suppose to compete with Sandy Bridge computing wise. These are more value oriented options. Although they should still be pretty good.
May 3, 2011 8:57:43 AM

The ability to work alongside discrete AMD Radeon HD 6570 and HD 6670 is a very good idea indeed IMO.
May 3, 2011 11:12:40 AM

its this "the bulldozer"? or we have to wait for that a bit more? I am waiting for this launch but as i heared Liano is Phenom II + HD6550? or i am wrong :( 
May 3, 2011 11:47:06 AM

From the specs, the HD6550 will probably have performance comparable to the Radeon HD4670 or the GeForce 9600GT.

This will be a breakthrough in integrated graphics. For the first time you will be able to play regular games based on more demanding engines at decent quality settings, instead of going for all low settings.
May 3, 2011 11:49:24 AM

crisan_tiberiuits this "the bulldozer"? or we have to wait for that a bit more? I am waiting for this launch but as i heared Liano is Phenom II + HD6550? or i am wrong

This is not bulldozer. You are right that llano will feature cpu cores similar to those in the current generation of AMD parts, while bulldozer will have a whole new architecture.
Anonymous
May 3, 2011 12:04:09 PM

So far I have seen nothing in specs that impress a true gammer. Sure, you may be able to play some games at lower resolutions or by turning off detail. But in the end these will still not be good gaming platforms. Besides the fact that laptops are bad anyway for gammers because you can't upgrade the video.
May 3, 2011 12:55:43 PM

@crisan_tiberiu:
you can crossfire a low end card like Radeon 6670 or 6570 with Llano APU and upgrade your gaming performance, a feature you cannot use with nVidia cards.
May 3, 2011 12:58:58 PM

400SPs at 600Mhz? Uhm... I'm gonna need some benchies; that thing might land between a 4850 and a 4870 if i'm not mistaken, but the RAM/HT bandwidth might hurt it bad.

Anyway, I'm more interested to see this thingy on notebooks more than desktops if you ask me 8)

Cheers!
May 3, 2011 1:10:53 PM

BENCHMARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 3, 2011 1:23:53 PM

It applications that can take advantage of the GPU for processing power Llano could cream SB in applications like Photoshop.
May 3, 2011 1:30:37 PM

I dont know if I should get this or wait for bulldozer.
Anonymous
May 3, 2011 1:37:54 PM

Sounds very promising so far, esp in the mobile sector!, I can see my three year old Studio 17 being replaced with a Llano Laptop, I run C2D @2.2GHZ and 3670 in my studio 17, this will be a good upgrade!
May 3, 2011 1:53:05 PM

jimmysmittyOn the graphics front, it will probably easily beat SB. While HD3K is decent, its not the same as a discrete GPU.But in CPU power, I don't think it will keep up with SB.Each will have their strong and weak points. Sounds like a good mix and match.SB for CPU power and overclocking, Llano for cheaper low end gaming.

Llano is very useful for notebook gamers. It's not the lack of CPU that stop them gaming it's the lack of GPU. Plus GPUs are pretty useful anyhow in applications like Photoshop.

sinfulpotatoIt applications that can take advantage of the GPU for processing power Llano could cream SB in applications like Photoshop.

Llano won't cream Sandy Bridge in Photoshop, Sandy Bridge will cream Llano in all but high resolution 3d modelling in Photoshop. Photoshop is still dependant on CPU, with the GPU playing a smaller role. The GPU only accelerates a few functions in Photoshop such as 3d.
May 3, 2011 3:09:07 PM

To me, AMD seems to be trying to lure the gamers in with its not so good CPU and good GPU combo of fusion. I mean, CPU boosts the gaming FPS only upto a certain point and then it is all or mostly GPU. So, Fusion should be an ideal choice for budget gamers.
a b À AMD
May 3, 2011 3:10:14 PM

Not sure the use of the term *SidePort* s quite the proper analogy (if early drawings are to be believed).

The redwood-core on-die GPU will have an independent on-die buffer connected to CPU cache via a crossbar (presumably an HT link) which continues to the system Hudson FCH controller. The design looks to incorporate an independent direct link to the IMC for the GPU buffer. SidePort GPU memory for the IGP chips has never been integrated in such a fashion.

Performance will be driven by SIMD instruction-set compatibility -- looks good for all SSE4x. AVX does not seem likely (it would be really nice) but would seem to be possible if Llano shares some FP logic with Bulldozer (128-bit FP is 128-bit FP - no reason to design it twice).

Anonymous
May 3, 2011 3:33:26 PM

who cares about cpu performance?? i want to be able to play games on my laptop!!
May 3, 2011 3:38:41 PM

Looking forward to benchmarks. I want to see how it will affect laptops.
Anonymous
May 3, 2011 3:47:42 PM

well no one can say anything for sure as there are no chips on hand and no official benches, not to mention unofficial ones...
May 3, 2011 3:49:30 PM

"allowing the GPU to assist the x86 cores with serial processing loads" That statement there makes me all of the sudden very interested in this proc. If the gpu can truly help the x86 cores without any special coding that would kick butt. I'm very excited to see if that is the case or not.
May 3, 2011 4:01:23 PM

rootheday@lpedraja2002:Sandybridge laptops play TF2 and SF4 just fine.

SB integrated graphics run TF2 fine? I didn't realize that, so I'm guessing they can run CS:S well too?
May 3, 2011 4:29:14 PM

Bulldozer (code name Zambezi) - the CPU everyone is waiting for is supposed to be announced in June. So that's the one that is suppose to be a monster for gaming rigs. Not llano.

I'm spending every ounce of patience I have waiting for it cause I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new gaming rig and really want to see Zambezi benched before I make a choice on CPU.

May 3, 2011 4:34:31 PM

amdfangirlLlano won't cream Sandy Bridge in Photoshop, Sandy Bridge will cream Llano in all but high resolution 3d modelling in Photoshop. Photoshop is still dependant on CPU, with the GPU playing a smaller role. The GPU only accelerates a few functions in Photoshop such as 3d.

I think you are missing the point of the technology. The idea is that Photoshop won't need to do anything to utilize the Llano graphics core, but the logic will be handled by Llano itself to offload tasks that are better suited to parallel processing.
Anonymous
May 3, 2011 4:43:41 PM

ellarpc: That's why it's called an ACCELERATED processing unit, that name would've made no sense if they were integrating the GPU just for the hell of it(like Intel did)... ;) 
a b À AMD
May 3, 2011 4:46:27 PM

I'm a little disappointed at the high TDP. I was hoping these would really come down a lot; maybe it's because this isn't really Bulldozer yet?
May 3, 2011 5:11:37 PM

Hope they add support for more GPU's even if it isn't on first gen APU's but on later higher end products. Would be nice to get even a small boost.
May 3, 2011 5:22:11 PM

Crazy, this should perform on par with a 5550 correct? If thats the case, it should be around as fast as an old nvidia 7900gto. I used to play crysis smoothly on high with that card. So it seems it will play crysis! :-)
May 3, 2011 5:35:45 PM

Maybe these cpu will drive down Video card prices, hope so.
May 3, 2011 6:15:49 PM

Yuka...but the RAM/HT bandwidth might hurt it bad.

Exactly, DDR3 vs GDDR4 or GDDR5? Tough to compete, but it should still be great for an onboard solution.
May 3, 2011 7:00:39 PM

I didnt understeand is it hd 6550 or 6690 or what paired with i dont know what becomes what?
May 3, 2011 7:19:42 PM

crisan_tiberiuits this "the bulldozer"? or we have to wait for that a bit more? I am waiting for this launch but as i heared Liano is Phenom II + HD6550? or i am wrong

Coming next month or so will be the Bulldozer "standalone" CPU. Llano here consists of a CPU similar to the Phenom II that are currently sold as well as 6xxx series GPU.
The next generation of Llano will have the cores of Bulldozer instead of Phenom II - as for the GPU front I can't remember if anything is known...probably 7xxx series.
May 3, 2011 9:09:07 PM

schmichComing next month or so will be the Bulldozer "standalone" CPU. Llano here consists of a CPU similar to the Phenom II that are currently sold as well as 6xxx series GPU.The next generation of Llano will have the cores of Bulldozer instead of Phenom II - as for the GPU front I can't remember if anything is known...probably 7xxx series.

Actually, it's more like an Athlon II. Llano goes to 4-cores only, as does Athlon II. Does the Llano have an L3 cache? (I dunno - never checked) If not, it is the direct replacement for the Athlon II. Athlon II's were (and still are) good processors for the money.

The product lineup looks like this:

(no previous model) -> Fusion C-series ("Ontario" for tablets and electronics-style PC's)
Sempron with int. video only -> Fusion E-series ("Brazos")
Athlon II with int. video with option for discrete -> Fusion A-series ("Llano")
Phenom II with discrete video only -> FX processors ("Zambezi" on new "Bulldozer" architecture)

Intel has no quad-cores in the
May 3, 2011 9:44:36 PM

I would love to see some benchmarks! :) 
May 3, 2011 9:45:56 PM

Not sure why my comment got cut off....don't care enough to rewrite the rest. Bottom line is Intel doesn't have anything with as much value as AMD. x86 is the end of the line for Intel. AMD is branching out though, and they'll be a better company because of it.
May 3, 2011 11:12:22 PM

James296I'm a Fanboi, hear me roAAARRRR . joking aside it'll be interest for the laptop/notebook market. maybe I'll pass this along to a friend who is looking to upgrade his c**ppy Dell laptop

joytech22Awesome, it sounds exactly like a HTPC's best friend!
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Lots of potential for mid-level laptops and HTPCs. But it also will be good for entry-level desktops. I mean, this would allow a cheap mainstream box to actually run some modern games.
amk09SB integrated graphics run TF2 fine? I didn't realize that, so I'm guessing they can run CS:S well too?
How well it runs something depends on WHICH SB chip you get. A lowend SB with HD2000 is going to be mediocre in the gaming department. HD3000 is much better - but TF2 and CS:S are old games anyway. They'd run on any crappy semi-modern IGP, with moderate settings.
May 4, 2011 7:09:04 AM

Let's hope that vendors and OEMs will trash their traditional bias against AMD and strongly push these chips. Even if they only "match up" to Sandy Bridge, the lower cost should justify it.
May 4, 2011 3:58:36 PM

So basically if you add in a card you can game at a level of performance that has been obsolete for almost 2 years? To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed here. If you want to play current games you need to have something approaching the performance level of a current lower-mid range discrete card, not something that was strong.. what? 3 generations or so ago? Its a step in the right direction, but its still a long ways from being a competitive graphics solution, even for casual gamers.
May 4, 2011 9:44:27 PM

orochi8I'm pretty disappointed here.

They integrated something that is bigger then your hand into something smaller then a Quarter. AMD's Fusion is a HUGE step in the right direction for integrated graphics, not only that, the parallel processing capabilitys should be interesting.

I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere as good as the monster cards you need the strong man from the circus to hold up so it doesn't break your motherboard in half.
!