Sign in with
Your question

Just did a clean instal of windows 7 so what now?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 6, 2010 3:42:49 PM

I recently got Windows 7 Professional upgrade 32-bit from my school. I have Windows Vista Home Premium and I knew that I had to do a clean install when upgrading. When I installed Windows 7 I selected the option to not keep any of my files. And now I am at a dead end. I don't know what else I need to do besides reinstall my anti virus program and some of my other programs. I really want to how to create some sort of recovery disks. This PC I installed Windows 7 is an HP computer. In the windows.old files I can just delete them all right? Overall this has been a little confusing since Microsoft doesn't really help anybody that does a clean install. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : clean instal windows

a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2010 3:59:01 PM

Hello tacobravo;
If you're happy with your current clean installation of Win7 Pro 32bit you can delete the widows.old to free up disk space.
However there isn't really any need to do it right away.

To make yourself a Win7 Rescue Disk: Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Backup and Restore and then choose Create a System Repair Disk.

There is also the option to create a spare System Image of your current installation.
Related resources
November 7, 2010 1:46:33 AM

WR2 said:
Hello tacobravo;
If you're happy with your current clean installation of Win7 Pro 32bit you can delete the widows.old to free up disk space.
However there isn't really any need to do it right away.

To make yourself a Win7 Rescue Disk: Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Backup and Restore and then choose Create a System Repair Disk.

There is also the option to create a spare System Image of your current installation.

Thanks dude. I was just making sure I didn't miss anything. Well I read that I would have to make something like the things you where mentioning and I figured that I would probably end of doing it. No biggie. I was just used to OEM manufactures having their own version of a recovery manager to make "recovery" disks and figured that windows 7 itself would have some sort of similar. Thanks for your links and help dude.
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2010 2:44:41 AM

I wouldn't make any disks until you have things the way you want them. Do you have your media players installed? (GOM, VLC, Media monkey, etc) Have you installed your security programs? (Aviria, AVG, Adware, etc) Zip program? Image viewer? There's a lot of things that should be put on your system, and I'd do that BEFORE you make your disk so that if you have to reload windows you don't have to install them again.
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2010 11:22:35 PM

4745454b said:
I wouldn't make any disks until you have things the way you want them. Do you have your media players installed? (GOM, VLC, Media monkey, etc) Have you installed your security programs? (Aviria, AVG, Adware, etc) Zip program? Image viewer? There's a lot of things that should be put on your system, and I'd do that BEFORE you make your disk so that if you have to reload windows you don't have to install them again.

^+1
good advice..
November 8, 2010 5:30:23 PM

4745454b said:

I do have a good majority of programs that I want installed already with the exception of my antivirus. I am having some problems trying to install the one I want and I think its just because of the program. I'll figure that out soon enough. Before I make any disks I need to get rid of steam since I have my steamapps folder already backed up on my external hard drive since its like 50 GB worth of games and I don't want to waste disks because of that. Thanks for the advice
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2010 10:12:27 PM

Steam is awesome. I always have my steam folder NOT on my OS drive. If/when you need to reinstall, just make a short cut to the Steam.exe. It doesn't need to install anything, it just runs/works. I found this out by accident and have been happy ever since. My OS sits on one drive/partition and the steam folder on another. Never have to worry about reinstalling games now. (like many PC gamers I pretty much only play games through steam.)
!