Which input has the highest refresh rate capabilities for pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SortaNewToPCGaming

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I was just wondering which input has the highest capabilities for PC.. I just built a brand new gaming PC and I wanted to know which input is best to run games on I asked a few different people and I've gotten different answers from all of them... please help me out. thanks

Solution
Dual Link DVI-D can actually support up to 144hz. The ASUS VG278HE supports this with Dual Link DVI-D.
Displayport can do 120hz at least. At least version 1.2 can.
HDMI is currently capped at 60hz, but HDMI 1.4b, which is a spec that has been out for 2 years, supports 120hz, I've just never seen one in use. HDMI 1.4a can support 60hz, and 60hz in 3D which is similar to 120hz, but it does this by sending 2 images per cycle, one for each eye.
dvi will currently allow 120mhz in progressive or 240mhz in interleaved
hdmi stops at 60mhz (currently but may be upgraded when 4k comes out for the masses).
vga tops out at about 85mhz
but really there is no upper limit other than what the hardware vendors put in place.

SortaNewToPCGaming

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

what about a display port? is that better or worse than dvi?

Dual Link DVI-D can actually support up to 144hz. The ASUS VG278HE supports this with Dual Link DVI-D.
Displayport can do 120hz at least. At least version 1.2 can.
HDMI is currently capped at 60hz, but HDMI 1.4b, which is a spec that has been out for 2 years, supports 120hz, I've just never seen one in use. HDMI 1.4a can support 60hz, and 60hz in 3D which is similar to 120hz, but it does this by sending 2 images per cycle, one for each eye.

Solution

SortaNewToPCGaming

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

thanks so much man I actually have the ASUS VG248QE which is the same monitor you mentioned except its 24inches.. so I guess I will be using the DVI-D then.
thanks again!

Make sure that its dual link DVI-D. If you don't have the option for 144hz, try the other DVI connection, some video cards don't support dual link on all their DVI connections.

Edit: Nice, I was not aware of that monitor. It is indeed 144hz. According to the Newegg info, both dual link dvi-d and displayport can get you 144hz from that monitor, but only the DVI option gives you 3D Vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.