Sign in with
Your question

Elder Scrolls Games on a Dell Dimension 3000

Last response: in Video Games
February 15, 2013 11:02:24 PM

Hey all, I've never used a forum before, so please bear with me. I know I'm going to ramble on a lot.

I played well over 300 hours of Skyrim, and I wanted to play more games of the series. I looked on Steam and found that they sell Morrowind and Oblivion for $20 each.

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that was dying, so I tried to breathe life into it. I cleaned 15 GB (half the hard drive) of junk out of it, I gave it the max RAM, 2GB, and added in a GeForce 6200 Graphics Card with 512 MB of dedicated RAM (it uses PCI, nothing fancy at all.) I have 1TB External Hard Drive connected throught USB 2.0.

Anyway, I ran a test on Can You Run it- http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri -and for Morrowind it only has information for the minimum requirements. I exceeded all of those, so I expect it would run nice. I don't know how these games compare to Minecraft, but I can run that lag free on default graphic settings. As for Oblivion, everything meets the requirements except for the processor.

It's an Intel Celeron single-core processor that runs at 2.4 GHz. I know, it's an office PC processor. The game requirements say that you need at least a "Pentium 4 or Athlon XP or better" processor. I've read that if a PC doesn't meet the requirements for a game, it won't even start. I have a Microsoft Lifecam Studio that won't even start because I don't have a dual core processor!

So, will these games run? Should I bother playing them after Skyrim? I read that Morrowind is incredibly difficult after Skyrim, because Skyrim has fast traveling and quest markers which Morrowind doesn't. I couldn't find any comparisons between the Oblivion and Skyrim, but I've heard that it is closer to Skyrim. I've tried each play style in RPGs and the Mage is always my favorite. Would a Mage be fun in Morrowind or Oblivion?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks so much!
February 15, 2013 11:23:36 PM

Oblivion and Morrowind should both run on that PC. I've run them on worse. (Had a dual-core though.)

Morrowind is definitely more challenging than Skyrim and Oblivion. There is less guidance and everything is more complicated, plus you can't fast travel or use quest markers.

I would get both if you can. They are excellent. As far as Skyrim vs Oblivion goes, they are very similar. They play very similarly apart from the much better graphics of Skyrim.
Related resources
February 16, 2013 12:00:15 AM

Ahh, that's good.
February 16, 2013 2:52:34 PM

Okay, I installed Oblivion onto an external drive where Steam was located, but paused and lagged every five secconds... I installed it onto my internal drive and it still lags. I am using the lowest possible graphics settings. I couldn't get a copy of Oldblivion online. Any ideas?
February 16, 2013 3:43:56 PM

Hmm. That's odd. You should be able to run it. What resolution are you using?
February 16, 2013 4:08:20 PM

I'm running it at 1920 by 1080. Once I got it past the opening cutscene, which must have been in high quality because that was the only part that lagged, everything else was smooth.
February 16, 2013 5:05:56 PM

So it is fine now?
February 16, 2013 5:39:22 PM

Yes. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Is there any way I can give you a good rating?
February 16, 2013 6:02:42 PM

There should be a best answer thing in the lower right corner of my posts.

If that doesn't work, don't worry about it.
!