Crysis 1 more demanding than Crysis 2!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I used to get 40fps on Crysis (Very High, 4x MSAA) so when i started to play Crysis 2 i wondered how my card is running it so smooth... I benchmarked it using FRAPS and im getting avg. 62fps! That's Great! Crysis 2 Settings are ALL on Ultra and, the High-Res pacfs, DOF packs, DX11 packs are installed and enabled. Motion Blur is set to high.

That got me thinking, a 2007 game more demanding than a 2011 game with High-Res packs!? I think there is some bottlenecks going on with Crysis, but only Crysis, not Crysis 2... Or is this normal?

Solution
Yes, Crysis 2 was significantly better optimized than Crysis and Warhead. The gap narrows a fair bit when you max out the DX11 patch for Crysis 2 but generally Crysis tends to get lower fps, despite lacking technical aspects of DX11 (obviously).

It's just evidence of the age of Crysis and how the game was essentially "brute-forced" with the tools available at that time to create the scenery that it has. Obviously, Crysis 2 having DX11 capability means that it has features that the original game doesn't, and that becomes incredibly apparent with Maldo's 4.0 mod.

Of course, for as poorly as you can make Crysis perform I wish there was something you could do about the horrible object pop-in that occurs constantly with foliage in the...

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Yes, Crysis 2 was significantly better optimized than Crysis and Warhead. The gap narrows a fair bit when you max out the DX11 patch for Crysis 2 but generally Crysis tends to get lower fps, despite lacking technical aspects of DX11 (obviously).

It's just evidence of the age of Crysis and how the game was essentially "brute-forced" with the tools available at that time to create the scenery that it has. Obviously, Crysis 2 having DX11 capability means that it has features that the original game doesn't, and that becomes incredibly apparent with Maldo's 4.0 mod.

Of course, for as poorly as you can make Crysis perform I wish there was something you could do about the horrible object pop-in that occurs constantly with foliage in the campaign. :cry:

Solution

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

The major modding scene in the original Crysis was making custom levels where you could really take advantage of the engine and the sdk. I'm pretty sure the amount of modding you can do to the actual single player campaign is fairly underwhelming.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

As casualcolors said, Cryengine3 had a lot of optimizing done to it, and it it certainly runs more smoothly than its predecessor. It's a much better engine, plain and simple.

However, Crysis2 is a bit misleading in that regard, because it doesn't have a lot of foliage like the first game. You can open up the CryEngine3 SDK and fill it up with grass and pretty trees like the first game, and you can watch the FPS fall once again like a rock.

That's why no game (aside from the original Crysis) has included that much foliage. Veggies kill. ;)

I've done a fair bit of messing around with the original levels in Crysis to get rid of pop-in, but it really kills the framerate....again. You can load up any Crysis level in the SDK and do ANYTHING you want to it. You can select objects and turn off or decrease LoDs (no pop-in....or less pop-in), and increase draw distances. Change enemy NPC behavior, scripts, locations.....anything. With the proper knowledge you can totally rebuild the game to be anything you want......nothing is locked down and it's the same tool Crytek used to build the game in the first place.

As far as mods....I put together a post explaining how I personally mod Crysis. I'll post it here and provide both a link and host all the files needed on my SkyDrive.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

Software Development Kit. It comes free with your Crysis install.

If you have the STEAM version of Crysis, the installer is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crysis\SandBox2

Very fun to play with, and also pretty intuitive for such an advanced piece of software. There are quite a few tutorials for it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.