Write DVD using Roxio

I have a 700XL running XP Home. I made an image of my C Drive using Drive
Image. I split it into smaller files of 4.589 GBs so that it would fit onto
DVDs.

When I tried to use Roxio I got a message that "The current file system
can't write files larger than 4 GB. A UDF file system (without bridge) that
supports 4GB files will be used to record the disc"

I did Drive Image again specifying 3.7 GB files, but I'm curious as to what
the UDF File System is. Would I have had a problem reading the DVD back?

Anyone know?

Thanks, Allen
--
C and A Bredt

You wouldn't by chance have FAT32 as your filesystem on the hard drive,
would you?

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a 700XL running XP Home. I made an image of my C Drive using Drive
> Image. I split it into smaller files of 4.589 GBs so that it would fit
onto
> DVDs.
>
> When I tried to use Roxio I got a message that "The current file system
> can't write files larger than 4 GB. A UDF file system (without bridge)
that
> supports 4GB files will be used to record the disc"
>
> I did Drive Image again specifying 3.7 GB files, but I'm curious as to
what
> the UDF File System is. Would I have had a problem reading the DVD back?
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Thanks, Allen
> --
> C and A Bredt

No - It's NTFS.

--
C and A Bredt
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> You wouldn't by chance have FAT32 as your filesystem on the hard drive,
> would you?
>

> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I have a 700XL running XP Home. I made an image of my C Drive using
Drive
> > Image. I split it into smaller files of 4.589 GBs so that it would fit
> onto
> > DVDs.
> >
> > When I tried to use Roxio I got a message that "The current file system
> > can't write files larger than 4 GB. A UDF file system (without bridge)
> that
> > supports 4GB files will be used to record the disc"
> >
> > I did Drive Image again specifying 3.7 GB files, but I'm curious as to
> what
> > the UDF File System is. Would I have had a problem reading the DVD back?
> >
> > Anyone know?
> >
> > Thanks, Allen
> > --
> > C and A Bredt

Do you also have the latest service patches for Roxio installed? If not,
try after installing those.

> No - It's NTFS.
>
> --
> C and A Bredt
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > You wouldn't by chance have FAT32 as your filesystem on the hard drive,
> > would you?
> >

> > "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a 700XL running XP Home. I made an image of my C Drive using
> Drive
> > > Image. I split it into smaller files of 4.589 GBs so that it would fit
> > onto
> > > DVDs.
> > >
> > > When I tried to use Roxio I got a message that "The current file
system
> > > can't write files larger than 4 GB. A UDF file system (without bridge)
> > that
> > > supports 4GB files will be used to record the disc"
> > >
> > > I did Drive Image again specifying 3.7 GB files, but I'm curious as to
> > what
> > > the UDF File System is. Would I have had a problem reading the DVD
back?

> > > Anyone know?
> > >
> > > Thanks, Allen
> > > --
> > > C and A Bredt

On Sat, 15 May 2004 02:09:49 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
<abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:

>I have a 700XL running XP Home. I made an image of my C Drive using Drive
>Image. I split it into smaller files of 4.589 GBs so that it would fit onto
>DVDs.
>
>When I tried to use Roxio I got a message that "The current file system
>can't write files larger than 4 GB. A UDF file system (without bridge) that
>supports 4GB files will be used to record the disc"
>
>I did Drive Image again specifying 3.7 GB files, but I'm curious as to what
>the UDF File System is. Would I have had a problem reading the DVD back?
>
>Anyone know?

UDF file system is a system that allows you to write an delete (if a
DVD-RW or DVD+RW) individual files from the DVD. It's what allows the
the DVD to emulate a Hard Drive.

In my experience UDF is unreliable and causes compatibility problems
if you upgrade your O/S at a later date. In a case like this where
you are backing up the entire drive I would use ISO-9660 / Joliet type
files system. The drawback it's that you have to assemble the
contents of the DVD first in say Nero, and then burn to DVD all in one
hit. And on rewritable media you can delete the entire contents but
you can't delete single files. The plus is that it's far more stable
and compatible and reliable than UFS is.

Albert Alcoceba
<><
alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
Remove REMOVE

"Albert Alcoceba" <alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 02:09:49 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
> <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a 700XL running XP Home. I made an image of my C Drive using Drive
> >Image. I split it into smaller files of 4.589 GBs so that it would fit
onto
> >DVDs.
> >
> >When I tried to use Roxio I got a message that "The current file system
> >can't write files larger than 4 GB. A UDF file system (without bridge)
that
> >supports 4GB files will be used to record the disc"
> >
> >I did Drive Image again specifying 3.7 GB files, but I'm curious as to
what
> >the UDF File System is. Would I have had a problem reading the DVD back?
> >
> >Anyone know?
>
> UDF file system is a system that allows you to write an delete (if a
> DVD-RW or DVD+RW) individual files from the DVD. It's what allows the
> the DVD to emulate a Hard Drive.
>
> In my experience UDF is unreliable and causes compatibility problems
> if you upgrade your O/S at a later date. In a case like this where
> you are backing up the entire drive I would use ISO-9660 / Joliet type
> files system. The drawback it's that you have to assemble the
> contents of the DVD first in say Nero, and then burn to DVD all in one
> hit. And on rewritable media you can delete the entire contents but
> you can't delete single files. The plus is that it's far more stable
> and compatible and reliable than UFS is.
>

> Albert Alcoceba
> <><
> alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
> http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
> Remove REMOVE

Thanks for the info. I ran Drive Image again, had it create smaller files,
and used Roxio to burn the CDs.

Allen

TRENDING THREADS