Problems updating video driver

I have a Gateway G6-450 desktop computer. It was preinstalled with
98FE but updated to Millennium last year. It currently has the NVIDIA RIVA
TNT display driver installed, dated 6/8/00.

I would really like to update the display driver on this computer
because of display problems with some online games. I went to Nvidia's
website, and found a driver for my system (56.64_win9x_english), dated March
2004. I downloaded this file to my desktop, and ran it. Installation went
fine, and then I was asked to reboot. I did so. But after the rebooting, I
checked and the same video driver was still installed! I tried updating the
video driver thru control panel, device manager, display adapters, update
driver. I had Windows looks for a better driver, and I also specified the
location of the downloaded file. I was repeatedly told the best driver was
already installed, and it couldn't find any driver newer than 2000, even
though I just (allegedly) installed a driver from 2004. What am I doing
wrong?

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:13:26 GMT, HistoryFan <Nothing@nothing.com> wrote:
> I have a Gateway G6-450 desktop computer. It was preinstalled with
> 98FE but updated to Millennium last year. It currently has the NVIDIA RIVA
> TNT display driver installed, dated 6/8/00.
>
> I would really like to update the display driver on this computer
> because of display problems with some online games. I went to Nvidia's
> website, and found a driver for my system (56.64_win9x_english), dated March
> 2004. I downloaded this file to my desktop, and ran it. Installation went
> fine, and then I was asked to reboot. I did so. But after the rebooting, I
> checked and the same video driver was still installed! I tried updating the
> video driver thru control panel, device manager, display adapters, update
> driver. I had Windows looks for a better driver, and I also specified the
> location of the downloaded file. I was repeatedly told the best driver was
> already installed, and it couldn't find any driver newer than 2000, even
> though I just (allegedly) installed a driver from 2004. What am I doing
> wrong?

Win9x drivers do not necessarily work best in WinME because of the
different paths and the way ME shuts down differently (not to mention
unresolved WinME virtual memory leaks). We never could resolve the blue
screen of death when shutting down a GW box at work that came with WinME
(not sure if it was due to the Nvidea driver). We fixed that problem by
updating it to WinXP Pro. Although, it is a 900 MHz AMD with 256 MB RAM.

Since WinME was on the market for such a short time (just to make MS more
money before XP was released), it is possible that there is no better
driver for it.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 21:44:10 +0000 (UTC), efflandt@xnet.com (David
Efflandt) wrote:

>Win9x drivers do not necessarily work best in WinME because of the
>different paths and the way ME shuts down differently (not to mention
>unresolved WinME virtual memory leaks). We never could resolve the blue
>screen of death when shutting down a GW box at work that came with WinME
>(not sure if it was due to the Nvidea driver). We fixed that problem by
>updating it to WinXP Pro. Although, it is a 900 MHz AMD with 256 MB RAM.
>
>Since WinME was on the market for such a short time (just to make MS more
>money before XP was released), it is possible that there is no better
>driver for it.

Also, some video drivers do not like installing when there is another
driver currently loaded. For video drivers I always recomment to
change the existing driver to Standard VGA, then reboot. Then once
you have rebooted to a very large and ugly display, then change the
driver to the desired one.

Albert Alcoceba
<><
alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
Remove REMOVE

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

Always uninstall the old one too to avoid conflitcs. So change to to
generic VGA, then uninstall the old Nvidia one, and then run the new driver
program.