Need advise on HSF

Cassius105

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2003
Hi

my CPU Fan just died (well its ticking like mad so i aint putting it back in since attempts to repair it have failed)

it was a Vantec Aeroflow and had great performance for the low amount of noise it made but iv since read what has happened is quite normal as it has reliability issues (didnt know about this at time of purchase since it was fairly new) so i will not be replacing it with another

thing is since getting it iv basicaly ignored HSF so i really dont know what to replace it with and in all honesty i cant be arsed to troll through 100s of reviews :p

so i thought id ask here if anyone had an recomendations for a new HSF. preferably one with similar noise/performance level to the vantec aeroflow but wont die after a year :)

my system is

athlon XP 2000+ (palomino core)
Abit KR7A mobo

yeh i know i need to upgrade but im hold out for PCI Express

Thanks for any replies

robduval

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2004
I like my Thermaltake Slim Volcano 10+...it keeps my 2600+ (which is now overclocked to 3200+) cool and is quiet too. I think you can get it for like $15 on newegg.com.

P.S. PCI Express isn't that much better unless you're doing video editing, it's gimmicky, much in the same way that AGP8x was compared to 4x...sure there's more bandwidth but the video card isn't using it, unless of course you would appreciate the full duplex mode for editing.

Cassius105

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2003
Ta :)

and yeh i know it wont be a big performance increase

i just want it for future upgrades

i dont wanna buy a new PC that i will wanna upgrade later that is on a dead standard :)

robduval

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2004
Yup that's an understandable point, and I hope in the future they will use all that bandwidth headroom. My next motherboard will also be PCI express, but I'm gonna wait a while until they take advantage of the new platform better.

So have you decided on a new sink?

Cassius105

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2003
Well i was gonna get the Volcano 10

looks like it would perfectly suit my needs

but iv run into quite a problem in that i cannot find anywere that has it in stock in the UK