• Flat Screen
  • NEC
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2001 6:11:08 PM

... under $1000. i would prefer a flat screen, but it is not necessary. right now i am thinking of NEC's fp1370, Viewsonic's P225f, and Hitatchi's CM815+. I was leaning towards NEC until i read the thread about the guy you had the 17in model at it sucked. suggestions welcome but please back them up with solid reasons.

thanks
De

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away

More about : 22in monitor

July 12, 2001 6:42:45 PM

Based on <A HREF="http://pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,47625,pg,2,00...." target="_new">PC World's Top 21" Montiors</A>, the Viewsonic came in second, beaten only by the Samsung SyncMaster 1200NF.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2001 7:32:39 PM

Do you suppose that the Samsung won because it was cheaper but comparable quality or simply because it edged it out in quality and features? Any one with personal experience with any of these monitors? What about reputation. i know sony is "supposed" to be the best but who can afford $1500 for the f520 ;) . viewsonic used to have a good rep do they still? i tend to be leaning toward the Samsung now since it seems to be good and cheaper than my other previous options, but just because they won PC World's comp. doesn't mean that they are actually good quality monitors. i don't mind paying $100-$200 extra for quality.

thanks again

Related resources
July 12, 2001 9:58:30 PM

Yes, I believe that the Samsung edged the Viewsonic because of its price (considering they are equally good in both text and graphic quality). But lets see what you get with a more expensive ViewSonic: You get a very unnoticably larger screen by .1 inch. Is it worth the extra money? Well it depends on what you use your monitor for. I personally do not think it is (especially since the Samsung has a USB hub). However, I do not think you can go wrong with either monitor.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>
July 12, 2001 10:13:52 PM

If your looking for the best and don't worry about spending a little more, the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u doesn't look like a bad choice. It also has the largest viewalbe screen of the other monitors. If money isn't a problem with you, I would probably consider this monitor since it also has a USB hub.

July 12, 2001 10:17:13 PM

BTW--Viewsonics are still very good monitors. In fact, I was going to buy the 19" GS790 if I wasn't on a budget. So I went for the cheaper Samsung Syncmaster 950p (and I don't regret buying it, it is great!)

As for sony, their Trinitron tubes are very good, but I wouldn't pay that much for it, especially since there are comparable monitors for cheaper.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2001 10:34:31 PM

thanks for all the responses, i will probably go with the samsung now. i would go for the mitsubishi for 859 as opposed to 719 (or so) for the samsung as listed on pricewatch, but alas i am in california and the only places listed to sell the mitsubishi are in california adding 8% sales tax and so another $70 (and haven't checked resellerratings.com to see if the dealers are even reputable).

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 13, 2001 1:25:39 AM

Was it me you were talking about with the bad NEC? If so, it was the NEC FP955, a 19" monitor. I'm still looking for a different monitor too.

I believe PCWorld rates monitors almost solely on price alone. They rated the EIZO last place! I've talked to other people on other forums, and they say EIZO are the best of the best. Hmm...
July 13, 2001 7:41:21 AM

No they don't, but it is a big part of the scoring (25%). You can read how they test on the bottom of the link I gave earlier.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 13, 2001 5:49:10 PM

yep it was your post sorry i couldn't remember your handle. different monitor but same line i think. no reason to believe that the larger one would be any better. i've heard eizo are good too, but the ones with 23mm dot pitch are like $1700 (for 21in would love one but...) otherwise it's 25mm for almost $800. i've never really seen the difference but i've been told that dot pitch can make a big difference. so unless i hear otherwise i guess i would still go with the cheaper and seemingly comparable monitor with a better dot pitch.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 18, 2001 3:51:14 AM

If you want the Sony F500R is 1099. If you're willing to stretch 165 bucks. That includes shipping too.

Orangepiel7
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 18, 2001 4:18:22 PM

nuts looks good, but just ordered the mitsubishi 2060u. i was going to go with the samsung, but 1) it was out of stock 2) although in the reviews they claimed it had a dot pitch of .24 on samsungs site the specs said .26 (don't know if they used different standards or what not but still seemed fishy) 3) i was still getting charged tax on the samsung even though the reseller was in texas.

thanx for the suggestion though.

!