Sign in with
Your question

266mhz bus or 333mhz for athlon overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
August 25, 2004 10:41:06 AM

hey
I am intending to retire my xp2000 cpu and getting somthing decent to replace it. However I dont want to shell out for new mobo,ram etc so im investigating what would be the best "older" cpu to get that I can OC up to a worthwhile speed.

So heres my question: As I currently have a gigabyte GA-7VAX1394 and only one stick of pc2700 ram would I be better off to get an older athlon that ran a 266mhz fsb or a newer 333mhz fsb? I ask because I dont really want to have to paint silver paint or draw sh*t on my new cpu to unlock the multi (I would if I had to though) and as the 266mhz cpus have a higher multi to start it would give me more room to up the fsb to my ram's theoretical limit of 333mhz.

does that make sense?

my other plan is to find a mobile athlon somewhere but nowhere in OZ seems to sell em.... :( 

thanks in advance.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2004 10:56:24 PM

I'd get an XP Mobile 2500+ or 2600+, Mobile XP's are unlocked, and the 2500+ and 2600+ are superior overclockers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 26, 2004 12:11:41 AM

well as it turns out I DID find a place just a few mins away from my house that has mobile 2500's on preorder (suposed to arrive yesterday).

So one mobile 2500 for thanx (and a new power supply, cpu cooler...>cough<... fans.....ram.....etc....)
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 12:36:06 AM

Congrats. Now just so you know, your system will probably start up and say "unknown CPU", and you'll have to set the bus speed and multiplier manually. It will provide the same performance as a desktop Barton with the same settings.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 29, 2004 6:28:15 AM

ahhh I did not know that... So the "auto" setting on the multi dip switches wont auto set the mobile to the right setting?

thanks for that tidbit, im sure I would have started punching things if it had done that when I got it.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 29, 2004 6:59:40 AM

Usually the "auto" setting via dip switches enables the option to set these in BIOS rather than by dip switch, which is an easier alternative to dip switches.

September 16, 2004 2:19:14 AM

Should overclock great, I can get mine to 2.6ghz, my PSU bottlenecks me, I'd probably be able to get higher.

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>
!