way to check a "too high" 6800 overclock

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, so forgive me if I'm stating old news. I've "discovered" a way to tell if your OC on a 6800 is too high. It might not show up in benchmarks or gaming, but try running the "Nalu" demo (which you can download off the nvidia website). If your overclock is too high (which side, I'm not sure. Core? Memory?) Her hair will go nuts! Strands of hair will randomly just shoot out and crazy angles. Then again, this only happened when I used the Coolbits "auto overclock" option (not the "determine optimal frequencies thing) so I'll check to see if it's actually an overclocking issue, or a coolbits issue. Anybody feel free to explore this with me.....or not...if...ya want...to.

coolbits 2.0 <A HREF="http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815" target="_new">here</A>
and Nalu <A HREF="http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_nvidia.html" target="_new">here</A>

<font color=blue>You don't happen to have six fingers on your right hand, do you?</font color=blue>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well a Too High overclock is relative concept. A 420 on the core with CoD would be good overclock while 420 on the core with Doom 3 will be too high.

You can OC the card to meet specific needs of specific apps. The only time when it is too high can only apply to a specific application failing. It really dependa on the amount of data that is pushed to the card so an OC setting may be good for one game and deadly to another.

Hope Im making sense here.....

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Perfect sense. I read about good overclocks having to back off with Doom 3. I guess it is all relative. Well, enjoy the Coolbits 2 clicky anyway! Do you know of anyone using a different cooler than the stock for the 6800 nu's?

<font color=blue>You don't happen to have six fingers on your right hand, do you?</font color=blue>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
None to my knowledge but there are a series of VGA Silencers with some ramsinks that will do much better than the stock HSFs on those 6800 models. Hell even an old CPU HSF will do better which I have done many times with Nvidia cards and produce less noise.

I have personally not unplugged the fan from a 6800 model yet. You try it our yourself from a brief test durin the postin of your computer and having the finger on the power button or you can read around to see if anyone has done such a mod. Past Nvidia card Ive played with like the ti4600 and fx5900 which I was able to get away doing that since I was using large fans that I knew the AGP could not produce the sufficient amount of juice to the fan.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Ok thanks. I'll check it all out.