Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Hits Top (Base) GHz with Quad-Core Phenom

Last response: in News comments
May 4, 2011 10:58:41 AM

meh...
Waiting June and their big revelations.
Come on bulldozer. I am lying when I am saying I don't have high expectations for you because I fear disappointment. Be a fan like it is never going to disappoint you, because that's the only way to truly be a fan. And right now I am a fan for getting the CPU to move some. There is a lot of stagnant potential in Intel, and there is pushing AMD to the limits. I like them both pushed to the limits and the pressure to bring more. So, GO AMD!! Bring us dream instructions per cycle and also keep the experience of pushing your CPUs to 3.7 GHz out of the box.
Score
May 4, 2011 11:03:59 AM

This is really sad. AMD should just dismantle itself if it can't compete against Sandy Bridge.
Score
Related resources
May 4, 2011 11:24:43 AM

killerclickThis is really sad. AMD should just dismantle itself if it can't compete against Sandy Bridge.

It's just a minor update like AMD and Intel do all the time. Sure, it can't complete with SB, but AMD's answer to SB is slated for June in the form of Bulldozer (high end CPU for use with discrete GPU's) and Llano (mid end CPU with powerful IGP for everyday use).

It's a bit like saying that a security patch is Window's answer to the next Mac OS X - that's not true, it's the next Windows version that's the answer.
Score
Anonymous
May 4, 2011 11:39:19 AM

Hmmm,.I do hope that AMD would at least be able to top the 1st gen Core iX processors when it comes to IPCs and trample SB's iGP to stay competitive..
Score
May 4, 2011 11:41:25 AM

killerclickThis is really sad. AMD should just dismantle itself if it can't compete against Sandy Bridge.

No matter how much better sandy bridge is, AMD wont be dismantled because of it. Amd remains the solid leader in the low end market and its high end(which is not bad at all) is ALOT cheaper than intels high end. Bulldozer is supposed to be AMDs answer top SB, and if it doesnt do well against SB, its still in a good spot because it will undoubtably be a powerful CPU at an affordable price(probably 1/2 or less of SB price).
Score
a b À AMD
May 4, 2011 11:58:19 AM

Quote:
Tech Report has a quick lowdown on what it calls "An old horse gallops a few steps faster."

Wouldn't that be a "half step faster"? ;) 
Score
May 4, 2011 12:02:11 PM

I can't wait to see what's coming out in June, I'm most excited about Bulldozer.
Score
May 4, 2011 12:18:37 PM

Quote:
No matter how much better sandy bridge is, AMD wont be dismantled because of it. Amd remains the solid leader in the low end market and its high end(which is not bad at all) is ALOT cheaper than intels high end. Bulldozer is supposed to be AMDs answer top SB, and if it doesnt do well against SB, its still in a good spot because it will undoubtably be a powerful CPU at an affordable price(probably 1/2 or less of SB price).

AMD has high end APU's? Lol i laughed at this one. AMD is for budget gamers. Bulldozer is a joke, AMD is 3 years behind Intel, and still lacks any benchmarks to prove they can keep up with anything. AMD stick to putting your money into crap laptops.
Score
May 4, 2011 12:30:50 PM

ironmb, we do not know whether or not Bulldozer is a joke. It may be, but until the reviewers get production samples, we really do not know. And lest I be accused of being an AMD fanboi, my last 6 systems were Intel Core2 systems.

Is the 980 a "minor update" or is it a 975 tested and placed in a faster bin?
Score
May 4, 2011 12:33:18 PM

bustaprNo matter how much better sandy bridge is, AMD wont be dismantled because of it. Amd remains the solid leader in the low end market and its high end(which is not bad at all) is ALOT cheaper than intels high end.

i5-2500K completely dominates this latest (and every other) AMD CPU but still costs less and uses less power. And when Bulldozer comes out, it'll still be slower than Sandy Bridge, not to mention Ivy Bridge which is expected by the end of the year. AMD is dead, surviving only on the charity of fanboys.
Score
May 4, 2011 12:44:42 PM

killerclicki5-2500K completely dominates this latest (and every other) AMD CPU but still costs less

It does NOT cost less. It's even more than the AMD 6 cores which on games like Bad Company 2 that can use up to 6 cores does better than 2500k. Also with the AMD chips you don't have to buy a new motherboard.

I also like how you Intel fanboys trash AMD when they're the only ones keeping prices down. You can see what happens when AMD is not in the market at the highend Intel CPUs where they have no competition - prices just skyrocket.

The uses less power is much less of a deal than having to buy a new mobo each new CPU upgrade.
Score
Anonymous
May 4, 2011 12:46:54 PM

Don't you guys understand that AMD is NECESSARY for Intel to keep prices low? Even if they, (AMD), are not directly competitive... Intel CPUs would be a lot more expensive, and would not progress as fast. So, you better praise AMD even if you plan on buying Intel chips.
Score
May 4, 2011 12:54:40 PM

Quote:
AMD today released a new Phenom II that could be one of the last new introductions for the company before it enters its future in Fusion

lol, reviews came out monday, a bit late on the news.

killerclicki5-2500K completely dominates this latest (and every other) AMD CPU but still costs less and uses less power. And when Bulldozer comes out, it'll still be slower than Sandy Bridge, not to mention Ivy Bridge which is expected by the end of the year. AMD is dead, surviving only on the charity of fanboys.

If i wasn't for AMD, the cheapest thing you could buy would be the i5-2500k for $1000. Think intel really cares about their customers ... lol
Score
May 4, 2011 12:54:59 PM

Considering AMD now have the strongest IGPs, and coined the term APU, then yes, for their purpose, they are high end.

In performance terms, AMD is behind Intel, at least until Llano and Zambezi arrive, however in terms of low-power computing, AMD is ahead of Intel with its very first new product in that area (and let's remind ourselves of how people thought all AMD processors were hungrier and lower performing, and to an extent, that's spot on, but not exclusively the case anymore). As I've said to someone recently, the most purchased products are towards the lower end, which Brazos and Llano should cater for nicely. You forget that not everybody is an enthusiast and not everybody visits tech websites.
Score
May 4, 2011 12:57:43 PM

Sorry, my post was directed towards ironmb but I left it idle too long. :p 
Score
May 4, 2011 12:59:09 PM

SilmarunyaIt's just a minor update like AMD and Intel do all the time. Sure, it can't complete with SB, but AMD's answer to SB is slated for June in the form of Bulldozer ....

I believe SB was Intel's answer to Fusion. Intel just brought SB to the market faster than AMD was able to deliver the high end Fusion processors.

The one thing that I can agree upon with everyone is the anticipation of getting the Fusion product to market. I am excited, and hope I will be impressed with the benchmarks that Tom's will provide when it is released. I'm due for a refresh...
Score
May 4, 2011 1:10:11 PM

schmichIt does NOT cost less.

Yeah, my bad. I was comparing it to 1100T for some reason. You're right, it is cheaper.

schmichIt's even more than the AMD 6 cores which on games like Bad Company 2 that can use up to 6 cores does better than 2500k.

I don't know about Bad Company 2 but 2500K decimates 1100T by at least 30% in every game benchmark I've seen.

Score
a b À AMD
May 4, 2011 1:10:49 PM

1st overclock results. 4.7GHZ on air.
Score
May 4, 2011 1:35:59 PM

I am holding off for the Bulldozer cores, I cannot wait to see how well they perform over Phenom. I guess we shall see. xD I'm so excited.
Score
May 4, 2011 1:39:48 PM

Markus there is no doubt Scott W is a top shelf reviewer and ranks with Anand and our Chris Angelini here ... I always enjoy his articles, especially those on cache architecture. He is thorough with his benchies and has a keen eye for spotting anything unusual.

For those who bought a lower level Phenom CPU a while back with a decent mobo, this is about the quickest speed bump your going to get without a major mobo transplant ... or trying to tickle the life out of the older cpu with an overclock, other than stepping into an X6 (again if the mobo supports it, and in many benchies there is little difference between the X4 and X6 for gaming).

Cheers.

Score
May 4, 2011 1:50:10 PM

One more time just for old times sake!
Score
May 4, 2011 2:08:58 PM

Preliminary demonstrations of the new mobile bulldozer looks somewhat promising compared to mobile versions of sandy bridge. Beyond that, there are no empirical data supporting the superiority AMD claims over Intel. Considering a full 6 month delay on the launch compared to SB, AMD will have a very difficult time swaying the market in its favor unless it can produce some amazing results, especially with Ivy Bridge just around the corner.
Score
May 4, 2011 2:33:51 PM

Fanboy's, it's always a slap and hair pulling fest. Get lives nerd boys.
Score
May 4, 2011 2:43:15 PM

@Reynod: Your use of the word 'benchies' is extremely annoying. There's no need to give 'benchmarks' a pet name.
@zkevwlu and a few other unimformed viewers: Ivy Bridge is NOT just around the corner. Intel is releasing Ivy Bridge next year along with the first DDR4 RAM, and quad-channel motherboards. It will be decimating what's left of any AMD supporters.
...But if my computer fails before then, and Bulldozer is good, I'm buying an AMD system. So don't flame me for having a seemingly side-sided view.
Score
May 4, 2011 2:46:12 PM

this could also be away to rid themselves of excess supply of now to be old platform of chips. do not be surprised of a few more last minute releases are announced for athlons as well. so this is definitely not a last resort or a sad effort but rather just financial business. and think about this, not everyone is just going to jump @ Bulldozer right away, so why not...?!
Score
May 4, 2011 2:56:42 PM

Why do people compare SB to Phenom II? Why would anyone think AMD is trying to compete with SB with Phenom II?

Ignorant fanboys?
Score
May 4, 2011 2:58:26 PM

ironmbAMD has high end APU's? Lol i laughed at this one. AMD is for budget gamers. Bulldozer is a joke, AMD is 3 years behind Intel, and still lacks any benchmarks to prove they can keep up with anything. AMD stick to putting your money into crap laptops.

Man your trolling. The technology is clearly defined. Do your research first before belittling such a large company like AMD.
If they wanted to, they could easily create a chip that competes with Intel. And BTW they are.
Score
May 4, 2011 3:31:26 PM

Enough with these tweaks. Bring the Bulldozer AMD. Let's see some new architecture and CPU power.
Score
May 4, 2011 3:35:19 PM

amd's chips are still awesome, people that say otherwise are just fanboi's swinging of the current leaders nutz like bugs.
Score
May 4, 2011 3:48:02 PM

Looking forward to bulldozer, but it's nice to see another Phenom II. Once bulldozer hits markets though, I think the game will change significantly!
Score
May 4, 2011 3:50:56 PM

Yep just like Honda should shut its doors cause it cant compete on speed vs Ferrari...

Moron, you should be happy AMD exist, without them Intel would be still pushing Pentium 2s out at $500 a pop
Score
Anonymous
May 4, 2011 4:00:12 PM

I think AMD needs to start following Intel's tick-tock schedule. They should have moved Phenom to 32nm 6-9 months ago. This would have gotten them familiar with 32nm with a stable architecture and provided power reduction and headroom. Not to mention cost saving for AMD. Might have been able to head off some of the people that jumped to Sandy Bridge.
Score
May 4, 2011 4:01:44 PM

AMD is actually quite a bit smaller than Intel and as such has a much smaller R&D budget.

So the very fact that AMD is even making Intel sweat a bit with the release of Bulldozer is a major accomplishment.

If AMD had never come along with Athlon to push Intel then we'd be lucky if they had even made it to the Core 2 Duo days. Intel would have had no reason to push ahead and develop any of the i5 or i7 series at all.

That's why I'm an AMD fan, cause Intel has a habit of sitting fat and lazy when they aren't pushed.
Score
May 4, 2011 4:22:59 PM

I love how a bunch of teenagers talk so much crap about stuff they know nothing about.. Are any of you old enough to remember when AMD dominated Intel with the K6-2, K6-3, Athlon XP (Tbird and Barton), Athlon 64, and Athlon 64X2? I made lots of money off of AMD through Stock during these high times. Just remember all companies have ups and downs, and AMD is just having a down time.

If AMD folded up shop do you think Intel would keep making such large strides in the CPU market? I think not because competition breeds advancement and R&D!

Oh and what do you think the largest portion of CPU sales are? That's right the low to mid range!

I rest my case.
Score
May 4, 2011 4:26:17 PM

TickTockClockI think AMD needs to start following Intel's tick-tock schedule. They should have moved Phenom to 32nm 6-9 months ago. This would have gotten them familiar with 32nm with a stable architecture and provided power reduction and headroom. Not to mention cost saving for AMD. Might have been able to head off some of the people that jumped to Sandy Bridge.

Keep in mind upgrading to a finer manufacturing process both costs money and down-time. If AMD was as aggressive with upgrades I think they'd run into problems of chip shortages, which is why it's sometimes better to just let Intel have it's cake and enjoy it. The real difficulty with SB right now is AMDs Bulldozer is late to the game.
Score
May 4, 2011 4:28:43 PM

quicksilver98I love how a bunch of teenagers talk so much crap about stuff they know nothing about.. Are any of you old enough to remember when AMD dominated Intel with the K6-2, K6-3, Athlon XP (Tbird and Barton), Athlon 64, and Athlon 64X2? I made lots of money off of AMD through Stock during these high times. Just remember all companies have ups and downs, and AMD is just having a down time. If AMD folded up shop do you think Intel would keep making such large strides in the CPU market? I think not because competition breeds advancement and R&D!Oh and what do you think the largest portion of CPU sales are? That's right the low to mid range!I rest my case.

The K6 line was crap compared to Pentium II and III. The Athlon was a true blue champ. But, those days are distant memories.
Score
May 4, 2011 4:47:07 PM

I am proud to be a budget gamer.
Score
May 4, 2011 4:50:22 PM

I will say that the athlon x2 7850 black edition (basically the 1st gen of phenom chips - dual core) is equal as in clock for clock with the Intel C2D...
it's just that AMD didn't stock them higher than (2.8GHz) but since it's a BEdition with the unlocked multi, I just cranked it up..
Score
May 4, 2011 4:57:33 PM

My 955 Black can do that...
Score
May 4, 2011 5:03:15 PM

Just a better yielding part that probably clocks a little higher. AMD hasn't even introduced a new stepping since C3 -_-. Guess it will have to do for another month till AMD launches bulldozer. Really though the only point of this CPU is for people who already have an AM2+ or AM3 board with an older CPU and are looking for an upgrade
Score
a b À AMD
May 4, 2011 5:54:49 PM

The 980 can likely be clocked higher than any other AMD CPU. AMD may not be showing a great deal of profitability right now, but they are developing some compelling technology.
A couple of years ago, everyone thought AMD was insane and suicidal for acquiring Ati. Who thinks this was a bad idea now?
AMD is not dead, in fact they are developing some innovative products and people are getting excited about what they are bringing out next.

BTW, if you start your post by flaming half the people here then say "don't flame me", it makes you look like a whiny baby.
Score
May 4, 2011 5:55:49 PM

Let us not forget, that Intel has to license their x64 technology from AMD.

Irony isn't it. AMD has to license x86 from Intel, and Intel has to license their x64 tech from AMD :p 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
Score
May 4, 2011 6:13:32 PM

I just thought I'd highlight to those people who think Core 2 was vastly superior to Phenom II...

All 3.2GHz stock (Thuban turbos to 3.6GHz so please bear in mind):
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/desktop-cpu-charts...[4437]=on&prod[4411]=on&prod[4442]=on

2.8Ghz (Thuban up to 3.3GHz, 9550S at 2.83GHz, E7500 at 2.93GHz)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/desktop-cpu-charts...[4438]=on&prod[4415]=on&prod[4444]=on&prod[4429]=on

Really, I can't see why people say Core 2 was better when these benchmarks show a rather close picture overall. Kenstfield wins some, Deneb others. Sometimes having six cores makes no real difference, sometimes it does. Having a very large L2 cache is a big help for Core 2 (especially considering it's inclusive cache) but I certainly wouldn't fork out for the QX9770 (12MB L2) when the difference is as minimal as it is over Deneb (and especially when Thuban handily beats it in the majority of content creation scenarios). This is one of the reasons that Phenom II worked well against Core 2 - it offered similar performance in most workloads for a lower price, and especially so if you take the Core 2 Extreme into account.

One more you: QX9770 vs. 980 and 970:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2...[4411]=on&prod[4950]=on&prod[4952]=on

I think Phenom II works better with more cores than it does with more speed, however it's not the dog that a lot of people think it is.
Score
Anonymous
May 4, 2011 6:29:13 PM

sigh i remember the days of AMD fanboys always talking trash on intel during the p3/p4 era.... Now its the other way around lol. Even though I've always been with the Intel bandwagon, I do hope AMD can catch up. While AMD was dominated in the 04s that pushed Intel to make better products ie the e6600
Score
May 4, 2011 6:43:46 PM

I like AMD (borderline fanboy) and have a Phenom II 970, but you would be an idiot to buy this chip considering for an extra $100 you can have a wicked SB.
Score
May 4, 2011 6:45:32 PM

Nothing higher than a Phenom II 955 is worth the price difference
Score
May 4, 2011 7:13:16 PM

The only positive side to this launch is that it should force the 955 lower in price, that's the one that anyone with half a brain & a half decent amd mobo looking to upgrade is gonna buy anyway. for peeps looking for a full overhaul, it's gotta be 2500k, alot more bang for the same money. roll on zambezi... even if it ain't as good as sandy bridge, it should hopefully provide some competition & lower prices.
Score
May 4, 2011 7:34:11 PM

AMD will be royally screwed once Ivy Bridge comes out.
Score
!