Unexpected noises!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
After using an Asetek Waterchill for a while I really started to get tired of the low pitched drone of the pump. I installed the Zalman Reserator 1 and no more noise, except from my hard drive. So then I found a hard drive that was darned quiet too!

I leave my Reserator 1 on even when the system is shut down. And I've never actually HEARD it. So imagine my surprise when I was doing something and sudenly heard a rattling noise!

I searched the cooling system and couldn't locate the noise, then I found it: My system was on and doing a virus scan, it was the heads of the hard drive moving! My monitor was in sleep mode and I hadn't noticed the front panel lights on the case.

Now THAT'S a quiet system, when you don't even realize it's on unless you check the lights!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, weren't you the guy who said you bought a pizza a couple weeks ago in the other's forum? I didn't call YOU a showoff!

You get paid for your job, I'm a volunteer writer. Who do you think benefits the most? I can't afford to buy pizza!

Yeh, I know you were joking, my response was for the general audience... :tongue:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually everything on my system is overclocked. I have some quiet fans rewired to 7v, they run a few hundred RPM. You can hear the fans and drives when the room is silent, but on this occasion the TV in the next room was enough background noise not to notice them until the heads started rattling (seek noise).

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
are you cooling the video card too

System Spec's:
Asus P4c800-E 3.2e @3.8ghz
1gb corsair xms pro2-2-2-5 aiw 9800 pro
audigy 2zs klipsch ultra's
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What's the use? It's just a Gateway E-Tower case modified for removable backplate and full sized power supply, painted flat black with a Reserator 1 sitting on top.