For Mr Neth-- Norton Help

Mr Neth-- Having exhausted the limited intellect of Norton Customer
Assistance people I am wondering if you might have any suggestions.

I have a GW Perf 600 running W98SE. I have been running NSW for two years

with no problem.

In the last two days, when the computer boots up and does the startup
boot scan (which I have had enabled forever!) I get the following:

"Error 35: GPF in NAVDX.ovl at...", followed by a set of memory location
numbers. The computer does not crash and continues to boot normally.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and done a cold boot, as well as every

other thing I could think of. I have installed nothing that I can recall-
- certainly no devices. I virusscanned online and was declared clean.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:36:28 GMT, David E. Cote
<david_e_cote@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Mr Neth-- Having exhausted the limited intellect of Norton Customer
>Assistance people I am wondering if you might have any suggestions.
>
>I have a GW Perf 600 running W98SE. I have been running NSW for two years
>
>with no problem.
>
>In the last two days, when the computer boots up and does the startup
>boot scan (which I have had enabled forever!) I get the following:
>
>"Error 35: GPF in NAVDX.ovl at...", followed by a set of memory location
>numbers. The computer does not crash and continues to boot normally.
>
>I have uninstalled and reinstalled and done a cold boot, as well as every
>
>other thing I could think of. I have installed nothing that I can recall-
>- certainly no devices. I virusscanned online and was declared clean.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks!

Im not Mr Neth

A couple of days ago Norton released an update on my version at least
of NSW - 2002. 'Symantec redirector' was updated - may be this has
broken something if you installed - or have it to auto install.

Google scan found this from symatec discussion boards

start ***************************************************
Thank you for using the Symantec Online Discussion Groups.

Is it saying that you cannot find it, or is it giving an error 35 and
saying that it cannot load it? If it is the second, please see the
following documents for assistance in resolving this issue:

NAVBOOT Error 35, General Protection Fault in NAVBOOT.OVL, System
Locks Up
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/199731912635

Error: "Error 35, General Protection Fault in NAVDX.OVL..." After
Installing Norton AntiVirus 5.0
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1998082716410706

The second document may be titled for a different file, but the steps
within will also help with this problem. If the error actually says
that it is missing, you will likely need to uninstall and reinstall
Norton AntiVirus to restore it.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
end *************************************************

Apart from that - what happened when you uninstalled? did problem go
away? I assume it did, so I would guess you need to REALLY uninstall
and reinstall - I have found Norton to be very bad at uninstalling
itself. So

Uninstall as normal - if given options - tell it uninstall everything
reboot
seach for all files/folders containing 'Norton' or 'symantec' and
delete them
go to registry and do the same (but take care - this is registry - so
normal precuations).
reboot
Resinstall - dont let it update
reboot - problem fixed?
let it update
reboot - problem still fixed?

Anyway - if it does not help - it should at least get you a lot
closer.

HTH and Good luck

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

excuse me but this is a newsGROUP. please post your message to the GROUP
and not an individual. if you wish to communicate to an individual then do
it with email.

In article tony,tony@nowhere.com says...

> excuse me but this is a newsGROUP. please post your message to the GROUP
> and not an individual. if you wish to communicate to an individual then do
> it with email.

Apparently you have not been reading this newsGROUP for long. The short
answer to your comment is that I did that BEFORE posting my request for
Mr Neth's help here. Not that it's any of your business.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

> In article tony,tony@nowhere.com says...
>
> > excuse me but this is a newsGROUP. please post your message to the
GROUP
> > and not an individual. if you wish to communicate to an individual then
do
> > it with email.
>
> Apparently you have not been reading this newsGROUP for long. The short
> answer to your comment is that I did that BEFORE posting my request for
> Mr Neth's help here. Not that it's any of your business.

well then why did you re-post? mr. neth reads the newsgroup and i am sure
he would have answered if he could help. otherwise it comes across as
insulting to others that might know the answer or want to try and be
helpful. personally addressing people implies you will only accept their
opinion or information. if that is the case, then send email directly and
don't bother the newsGROUP.

if you are saying you already sent email to mr. neth then why are you
posting here?

TRENDING THREADS