Hard Drive Cooling?

Lolthien

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2004
Anyone here have any ideas on a good way to cool of hard drives? I went to take them out to place them in my new case and nearly blistered my fingers taking them out... I hooked up a probe to it and it shows temps over 120 to 130 degrees!

Well, is that normal? And if not, is there a good cooling system that works well with hard drives?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Hard drives are made to run fairly hot but that is a little to hot. What case do you have? Are there any places to mount fans infront of the hard drives?
If there arn't any factory made places to put a fan infront of the hard drives then just try to rig a fan somewhere that blows on them. Moving air is usually enough to cool them down to decent temps.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Lolthien

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks... I got the NZXT Guardian case off Newegg. I think there is room for fans in the front. I'll check it out.

Also, I just realized that the backing on the hutch on top of my desk was keeping any air from circulating in the back.. hot air in and out in other words... I took that backing off and all my temps went down.. but I am going to rig up some fans as well.

Thanks for the help!