Zone Alarm 5 and system hanging up?????

Anyone else experiencing problems with ZA 5. My win98 sys has hang 3 or
4 times
lately and had to hard rboot. Not sure if its due to ZA 5

phoenix

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:55:45 -0700, cva wrote:

> Anyone else experiencing problems with ZA 5. My win98 sys has hang 3 or
> 4 times
> lately and had to hard rboot. Not sure if its due to ZA 5

I don't have any problems with my version of ZAP 5 on WIN98, it is only a
test system and not my main PC so it doesn't get a lot of use. There's an
update available for ZA 5 here http://snipurl.com/78iz try that and see if
it helps.

Regards

Bill

Craig

"cva" <bn@art.com> wrote in message news:cb9kju029t5@enews4.newsguy.com...
> Anyone else experiencing problems with ZA 5. My win98 sys has hang 3 or
> 4 times
> lately and had to hard rboot. Not sure if its due to ZA 5

ZAF works fine here on Win98, but apparently there are problems with ZAP due
to conflicts with anti-virus programs; lots of discussion on ZA forums.
Also, there is a new build available for ZA 5.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:43:22 GMT, "Craig" <craig6731@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"cva" <bn@art.com> wrote in message news:cb9kju029t5@enews4.newsguy.com...
>> Anyone else experiencing problems with ZA 5. My win98 sys has hang 3 or
>> 4 times
>> lately and had to hard rboot. Not sure if its due to ZA 5
>
>ZAF works fine here on Win98, but apparently there are problems with ZAP due
>to conflicts with anti-virus programs; lots of discussion on ZA forums.
>Also, there is a new build available for ZA 5.

Indeed. The new (second re-)build of v5 deals with some of the issues
relating to conflicts with AV - particularly Norton. Release notes
also say it deals with "stability issues". Make of that what you
will.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html#5.0.590.043

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Simon Pleasants wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:43:22 GMT, "Craig" <craig6731@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "cva" <bn@art.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone else experiencing problems with ZA 5. My win98 sys has hang
>>> 3 or 4 times
>>> lately and had to hard rboot. Not sure if its due to ZA 5
>>
>> ZAF works fine here on Win98, but apparently there are problems with
>> ZAP due to conflicts with anti-virus programs; lots of discussion on
>> ZA forums. Also, there is a new build available for ZA 5.
>
> Indeed. The new (second re-)build of v5 deals with some of the issues
> relating to conflicts with AV - particularly Norton. Release notes
> also say it deals with "stability issues". Make of that what you
> will.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html#5.0.590.043

I had system freezes with the first ZAP build. Just installed ZAP
5.0.590.043, and the same thing is still happening. This is on WinXP,
and I run Kaspersky, not Norton. Nice.

"cva" <bn@art.com> wrote in message
> Anyone else experiencing problems with ZA 5. My win98 sys has hang 3
or
> 4 times
> lately and had to hard rboot. Not sure if its due to ZA 5

Hi cva, I see you're running Win98. So am I. Several
months ago, the updates and upgrades started causing freezing,
hanging, errors, you name it. Every time the OS crashed, huge files
were created in the Internet Logs folder in Windows. I went to the
ZoneLabs Forums, and found out that ZAP doesn't support 98FE. Not
compatible. Aha! I decided to uninstall the current version and
download the last version that worked with no problems. At that time,
you could still download older versions. I don't believe you can at
this time. I've been running ZAP4.0.146.029 ever since, no more
problems.

I guess I'll keep running this one as long as it lasts,(or 98 lasts.)
I really like ZAP Firewall. Too bad they think 98 is too old.

charlie R

charlie R wrote:

>"cva" <bn@art.com> wrote in message
>

>>Anyone else experiencing problems with ZA 5. My win98 sys has hang 3
>>

>or
>

>>4 times
>>lately and had to hard rboot. Not sure if its due to ZA 5
>>

>Hi cva, I see you're running Win98. So am I. Several
>months ago, the updates and upgrades started causing freezing,
>hanging, errors, you name it. Every time the OS crashed, huge files
>were created in the Internet Logs folder in Windows. I went to the
>ZoneLabs Forums, and found out that ZAP doesn't support 98FE. Not
>compatible. Aha! I decided to uninstall the current version and
>download the last version that worked with no problems. At that time,
>you could still download older versions. I don't believe you can at
>this time. I've been running ZAP4.0.146.029 ever since, no more
>problems.
>
>I guess I'll keep running this one as long as it lasts,(or 98 lasts.)
>I really like ZAP Firewall. Too bad they think 98 is too old.
>
>charlie R

thanks for the info. I still have 4.5 but I went ahead and downloaded
the very latest version that
came out the other day. Actually I've only had crashes while closing
certain programs after
updating Spybot and adaware. Everything seems stable. Sure hope I'm
receiving good protection
despite 98FE not being supported. Ive got to update to XP. Have one
computer and I don't want
to go out and buy it. Almost worth it to buy another computer. I need a
second computer anyway.
It took me forever to go from 3.11 to 95 years ago.
see ya

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:34:06 GMT, "·" <sdglockman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Simon Pleasants wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:43:22 GMT, "Craig" <craig6731@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "cva" <bn@art.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> ZAF works fine here on Win98, but apparently there are problems with
>>> ZAP due to conflicts with anti-virus programs; lots of discussion on
>>> ZA forums. Also, there is a new build available for ZA 5.
>>
>> Indeed. The new (second re-)build of v5 deals with some of the issues
>> relating to conflicts with AV - particularly Norton. Release notes
>> also say it deals with "stability issues". Make of that what you
>> will.
>>

>http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html#5.0.590.043
>
>I had system freezes with the first ZAP build. Just installed ZAP
>5.0.590.043, and the same thing is still happening. This is on WinXP,
>and I run Kaspersky, not Norton. Nice.

Kaspersky is not listed as having any known issues with ZA. Perhaps
the ZA forums might be able to offer further information.

Not that it's much consolation to you, but I took ZA at their word and
upgraded to the above version last night (having earlier in the week
rolled back to v4.5 to restore NAV to a functional state). It would
appear that it has resolved the issues I was experiencing.