temp probes & BIOS

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm so confused with my Gigabyte K8NS Pro w/Ath64 3000+. The BIOS show a temp of around 33C at idle. MBM5 shows 53C. Easy Tune 4 showed 50C. So, I'm thinking about replacing the stock fan with a Swiftech MVX 462V. But first, does any know if getting a separate set of temp probes would be better (& cheaper)? Is there any software that reads the temp directly from BIOS? Or would something like the Silverstone Eudemon SST-FP52: Automatic Adjustment
fan controller be the ticket?
Thanks!

CoolerMaster Praetorian case
gigabyte K8NS Pro mob w/ Award BIOS v F4
Athlon64 3000+
Kingston HyperX PC3200 512MB

I know enuff to be dangerous. :tongue:

Replied to PM about this, as well. But like I said make sure the bios is uptodate as Gigabyte is known to have problems with temp readings.

Also the probes won't be able to get close enough to the CPU to accuratly measure temperatures, and many people crack chips trying to get temperature probes under the heatsink.

Retail heatsinks are pretty good now adays, so make sure the heatsink you pick is truely an upgrade, and not just slightly better than what you have.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In the U.S., legislation was passed a while back to regulate water heaters below 49C. So if you know how warm your hot water should be, if the sink is warmer the higher numbers are right, but if the sink is cooler the lower numbers are right. Assuming that your sink is making good contact with the CPU of course.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I have good news. A friend of mine said it would take 300 hours to get AS5 to really seat. I don't know if it's been 300 hours of run time or not, but after running Prime95 Torture test for and hour and a half, my CPU temp went from 32C to 40C. As I write this, it's back down to 32C. Looks like the AMD HSF works as advertised.

I know enuff to be dangerous. :tongue: