Some specific questions about GPU O/Cing

JackWhite

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
Hello,

I just got a MSI GeForce 6800GT. Although I've read MSI is not a particularly good brand for overclocking, as people seem to be getting great results with the 6800GT, reaching or even surpassing Ultra speeds, I decided to have a go.

I chose Doom3 as a benchmark and started to turn the core speed up by 10Mhz leaps. But when I reached 370Mhz I stopped and thought I should read some more.

This particular 6800GT brand, besides the standard nVIDIA control panel which comes with the ForceWare drivers, creates two additional menus in the Windows Display Properties control panel, named MSI Information and MSI Clock. The latter lets you easily modify the core (2D and 3D separately) and memory speeds.

I downloaded the ForceWare 66.31 beta, and I had read it was better to completely remove the previous version. So I did, and with it went the nVIDIA control panel. Will it give me trouble if I remove everything again, install the first drivers and then overlap the 66.31 beta? I'd like to keep the nVIDIA control panel.

Which takes me to the next question. If I successfully did that, I'd have two ways of selecting my clock speeds, the MSI control panel and the nVIDIA control panel. Which one would override the other? And what would happen if I decided to use RivaTuner or another similar app?

The last, and probably the silliest one: I've found people are able to monitor their GPU temperatures. How the HELL do they do that?! I mean, I can monitor the motherboard, processor and even HD temperatures, but the GPU? Does it depend on the brand?

Thank you so very much

Here is what I would recommend, Uninstall all your video card drivers, then just install the latest full release of Nvidia's Drivers. Then use RivaTuner to do your overclocking. (Also RivaTuner will allow you to monitor your GPU temps).

This should simpilfy things a fair amount. This is also how most people overclock their cards.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>