Gateway 700x / OEM Specs Question

clif

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

I had to re-install winxp home (critical error on boot, nothing worked).
I did the dreaded FDISK, Format C: based on GW tech support directions.

I wound up with a different folder structure (no winxp or OEM folders at
all in the root of C:/.
And to top it off, i'm only getting a little more than half the speed i
had before. I have checked
various web pages for testing and they all show double the speed i have
now. I have a SATA
HD and have put in the Intel chipset drivers (which was not on the GW
cd's i might add). This
replaced the MS drivers put in (or declared as missing during the
re-install).

Granted, winxp does work, but nowhere near its previous speed. It took
me a week and five
phone calls to GW just to make them confess that "Yes" the Intel
Application Accelerator
was on my system when i got it (But it wasnt there after the re-install).

A funny: My warrenty expires in about 10 days so they keep asking me to
renew it. I keep
telling them, get my system back to OEM specs and then I will - but fix
my sys first!!

Question: Is there a way to get my system back to its same
configuration as i received it from
GW?

Any input appreciated,
clif

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Rebuilding the system should have resulted in BETTER performance. Maybe you
could give more detail about exactly what is slow? How much memory do you
have on the system? What is running on the system? Are the disks operating
in the highest supported mode? Have you applied all of the updated drivers
from the Gateway site? Are there any problems showing up in Device Manager?
Do you Norton installed? Many people report performance issues with it.

BTW, I wouldn't be concerned about the different folder structure. Did you
save everything before scratching the disk? That's always the first step in
the rebuilding process.

"clif" <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I had to re-install winxp home (critical error on boot, nothing worked).
> I did the dreaded FDISK, Format C: based on GW tech support directions.
>
> I wound up with a different folder structure (no winxp or OEM folders at
> all in the root of C:/.
> And to top it off, i'm only getting a little more than half the speed i
> had before. I have checked
> various web pages for testing and they all show double the speed i have
> now. I have a SATA
> HD and have put in the Intel chipset drivers (which was not on the GW
> cd's i might add). This
> replaced the MS drivers put in (or declared as missing during the
> re-install).
>
> Granted, winxp does work, but nowhere near its previous speed. It took
> me a week and five
> phone calls to GW just to make them confess that "Yes" the Intel
> Application Accelerator
> was on my system when i got it (But it wasnt there after the re-install).
>
> A funny: My warrenty expires in about 10 days so they keep asking me to
> renew it. I keep
> telling them, get my system back to OEM specs and then I will - but fix
> my sys first!!
>
> Question: Is there a way to get my system back to its same
> configuration as i received it from
> GW?
>

> Any input appreciated,
> clif

clif

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

snoopy wrote:
> Rebuilding the system should have resulted in BETTER performance. Maybe you
> could give more detail about exactly what is slow? How much memory do you
> have on the system? What is running on the system? Are the disks operating
> in the highest supported mode? Have you applied all of the updated drivers
> from the Gateway site? Are there any problems showing up in Device Manager?
> Do you Norton installed? Many people report performance issues with it.
>
> BTW, I wouldn't be concerned about the different folder structure. Did you
> save everything before scratching the disk? That's always the first step in
> the rebuilding process.

I have 1024 meg mem installed and 128 meg mem on the graphics card.
Currently running as per msconfig > startup:
PRONoMgr (internet card)
zlclient (Zone Alarm)
NVCPL (i have unchecked this several times but it comes back)
Nothing else is running.

According to SANDRA my ATA Controller for the Harddisk is running in
a transfer mode of 16 (i assume this is bits). SANDRA tells me this is
not optimal
and to check settings (But i dont know how to check settings).
No i havent applied any GW updates (but i just pulled them and have them
on my HD).
The Device Manager shows clean, no exclamation points, question marks, etc.
I don't (won't) use NORTON (it takes over a system).
I have everything except the OS backedup to a external HD.
NOTE: Ghost or Drive Image is my next purchase.

I just received a reply from GW, their standard "re-install windows
after a FDisk, Format C".

How do i change (check) the supported mode for a HD?

My system specs as received from GW:
Wasp Motherboard
3.0GHZ 800MHz FSB P4 NORTHWOOD HYPER THREADING PROCESSOR
Memory: 512MB Memory Module
160GB SATA Hard Drive
18 LCD Flat Panel Display Analog/Digital (18.1 viewable)
128MB NVIDIA GEFORCE4 TI4200 Graphics Card Drivers
DVD-RAM/-R/-RW/CDRW Recorder
SB Audigy (Twister) Sound Card w/IEEE 1394
Boston Acoustics BA7900 5.1 Speakers (5 + Boombox)
Multifunction PS2 Keyboard
Logitec USB Optical Mouse
Panasonic 3.5 Floppy ID Drive

Added by me:
Additional 512 memory Dual Channel, DDR
TDK CD-RW: 52/24/48
Zip Drive
120Gig External Hard Drive (Smartdrive) USB.

Thanks for the replies, and hoping for more,
clif

You can download and install the Intel Application Accelerator from the Intel
web site... Ben Myers

On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:06:48 -0500, clif <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote:

>I had to re-install winxp home (critical error on boot, nothing worked).
>I did the dreaded FDISK, Format C: based on GW tech support directions.
>
>I wound up with a different folder structure (no winxp or OEM folders at
>all in the root of C:/.
>And to top it off, i'm only getting a little more than half the speed i
>had before. I have checked
>various web pages for testing and they all show double the speed i have
>now. I have a SATA
>HD and have put in the Intel chipset drivers (which was not on the GW
>cd's i might add). This
>replaced the MS drivers put in (or declared as missing during the
>re-install).
>
>Granted, winxp does work, but nowhere near its previous speed. It took
>me a week and five
>phone calls to GW just to make them confess that "Yes" the Intel
>Application Accelerator
>was on my system when i got it (But it wasnt there after the re-install).
>
>A funny: My warrenty expires in about 10 days so they keep asking me to
>renew it. I keep
>telling them, get my system back to OEM specs and then I will - but fix
>my sys first!!
>
>Question: Is there a way to get my system back to its same
>configuration as i received it from
>GW?
>

>Any input appreciated,
>clif

Ben

I also have a 700X (2 yrs old). Just what is the Intel Application
Accelerator...and where might I find it on the hard drive?

I'd like to back it up in case I need to do an OS reinstall one day.

Thanks!
Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> You can download and install the Intel Application Accelerator from the Intel
> web site... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:06:48 -0500, clif <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >I had to re-install winxp home (critical error on boot, nothing worked).
> >I did the dreaded FDISK, Format C: based on GW tech support directions.
> >
> >I wound up with a different folder structure (no winxp or OEM folders at
> >all in the root of C:/.
> >And to top it off, i'm only getting a little more than half the speed i
> >had before. I have checked
> >various web pages for testing and they all show double the speed i have
> >now. I have a SATA
> >HD and have put in the Intel chipset drivers (which was not on the GW
> >cd's i might add). This
> >replaced the MS drivers put in (or declared as missing during the
> >re-install).
> >
> >Granted, winxp does work, but nowhere near its previous speed. It took
> >me a week and five
> >phone calls to GW just to make them confess that "Yes" the Intel
> >Application Accelerator
> >was on my system when i got it (But it wasnt there after the re-install).
> >
> >A funny: My warrenty expires in about 10 days so they keep asking me to
> >renew it. I keep
> >telling them, get my system back to OEM specs and then I will - but fix
> >my sys first!!
> >
> >Question: Is there a way to get my system back to its same
> >configuration as i received it from
> >GW?
> >

> >Any input appreciated,
> >clif

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

A lot of information (and the download) here.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/

"Scott Persons" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> Ben
>
> I also have a 700X (2 yrs old). Just what is the Intel Application
> Accelerator...and where might I find it on the hard drive?
>
> I'd like to back it up in case I need to do an OS reinstall one day.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
>
> Ben Myers wrote:
>
> > You can download and install the Intel Application Accelerator from the
Intel
> > web site... Ben Myers
> >
> > On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:06:48 -0500, clif <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > >I had to re-install winxp home (critical error on boot, nothing
worked).
> > >I did the dreaded FDISK, Format C: based on GW tech support directions.
> > >
> > >I wound up with a different folder structure (no winxp or OEM folders
at
> > >all in the root of C:/.
> > >And to top it off, i'm only getting a little more than half the speed i
> > >had before. I have checked
> > >various web pages for testing and they all show double the speed i have
> > >now. I have a SATA
> > >HD and have put in the Intel chipset drivers (which was not on the GW
> > >cd's i might add). This
> > >replaced the MS drivers put in (or declared as missing during the
> > >re-install).
> > >
> > >Granted, winxp does work, but nowhere near its previous speed. It took
> > >me a week and five
> > >phone calls to GW just to make them confess that "Yes" the Intel
> > >Application Accelerator
> > >was on my system when i got it (But it wasnt there after the
re-install).

> > >A funny: My warrenty expires in about 10 days so they keep asking me
> > >renew it. I keep
> > >telling them, get my system back to OEM specs and then I will - but
fix
> > >my sys first!!
> > >
> > >Question: Is there a way to get my system back to its same
> > >configuration as i received it from
> > >GW?
> > >

> > >Any input appreciated,
> > >clif

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

> snoopy wrote:
> > Rebuilding the system should have resulted in BETTER performance. Maybe
you
> > could give more detail about exactly what is slow? How much memory do
you
> > have on the system? What is running on the system? Are the disks
operating
> > in the highest supported mode? Have you applied all of the updated
drivers
> > from the Gateway site? Are there any problems showing up in Device
Manager?
> > Do you Norton installed? Many people report performance issues with it.
> >
> > BTW, I wouldn't be concerned about the different folder structure. Did
you
> > save everything before scratching the disk? That's always the first
step in
> > the rebuilding process.
>
> I have 1024 meg mem installed and 128 meg mem on the graphics card.
> Currently running as per msconfig > startup:
> PRONoMgr (internet card)
> zlclient (Zone Alarm)
> NVCPL (i have unchecked this several times but it comes back)
> Nothing else is running.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_n.htm says
NVCPL is the
Nvidia Control Panel Display Properties Extensions applet.

> According to SANDRA my ATA Controller for the Harddisk is running in
> a transfer mode of 16 (i assume this is bits). SANDRA tells me this is
> not optimal
> and to check settings (But i dont know how to check settings).

A BIOS setting possibly?

> No i havent applied any GW updates (but i just pulled them and have them
> on my HD).
> The Device Manager shows clean, no exclamation points, question marks,
etc.
> I don't (won't) use NORTON (it takes over a system).
> I have everything except the OS backedup to a external HD.
> NOTE: Ghost or Drive Image is my next purchase.
>
> I just received a reply from GW, their standard "re-install windows
> after a FDisk, Format C".
>
> How do i change (check) the supported mode for a HD?

Is it displayed in the BIOS?
Also, the HD manufacturers have utilities that help diagnose problems
with their drives. Check their web site.

> My system specs as received from GW:
> Wasp Motherboard
> 3.0GHZ 800MHz FSB P4 NORTHWOOD HYPER THREADING PROCESSOR
> Memory: 512MB Memory Module
> 160GB SATA Hard Drive
> 18 LCD Flat Panel Display Analog/Digital (18.1 viewable)
> 128MB NVIDIA GEFORCE4 TI4200 Graphics Card Drivers
> DVD-RAM/-R/-RW/CDRW Recorder
> SB Audigy (Twister) Sound Card w/IEEE 1394
> Boston Acoustics BA7900 5.1 Speakers (5 + Boombox)
> Multifunction PS2 Keyboard
> Logitec USB Optical Mouse
> Panasonic 3.5 Floppy ID Drive
>
> Added by me:
> Additional 512 memory Dual Channel, DDR
> TDK CD-RW: 52/24/48
> Zip Drive
> 120Gig External Hard Drive (Smartdrive) USB.
>
> Thanks for the replies, and hoping for more,
> clif

One hell of a system!

Scott,

The Intel Application Accelerator consists of the software needed for Windows to
run well with its newer chipsets.

Where it is on the hard drive of a 700x is a good question. Gateway may or may
not have included it in the restore media supplied with the system. But you can
always download it from the Intel web site... Ben Myers

On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:51:03 -0500, Scott Persons <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>Ben
>
>I also have a 700X (2 yrs old). Just what is the Intel Application
>Accelerator...and where might I find it on the hard drive?
>
>I'd like to back it up in case I need to do an OS reinstall one day.
>
>Thanks!
>Scott
>
>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> You can download and install the Intel Application Accelerator from the Intel
>> web site... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:06:48 -0500, clif <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I had to re-install winxp home (critical error on boot, nothing worked).
>> >I did the dreaded FDISK, Format C: based on GW tech support directions.
>> >
>> >I wound up with a different folder structure (no winxp or OEM folders at
>> >all in the root of C:/.
>> >And to top it off, i'm only getting a little more than half the speed i
>> >had before. I have checked
>> >various web pages for testing and they all show double the speed i have
>> >now. I have a SATA
>> >HD and have put in the Intel chipset drivers (which was not on the GW
>> >cd's i might add). This
>> >replaced the MS drivers put in (or declared as missing during the
>> >re-install).
>> >
>> >Granted, winxp does work, but nowhere near its previous speed. It took
>> >me a week and five
>> >phone calls to GW just to make them confess that "Yes" the Intel
>> >Application Accelerator
>> >was on my system when i got it (But it wasnt there after the re-install).
>> >
>> >A funny: My warrenty expires in about 10 days so they keep asking me to
>> >renew it. I keep
>> >telling them, get my system back to OEM specs and then I will - but fix
>> >my sys first!!
>> >
>> >Question: Is there a way to get my system back to its same
>> >configuration as i received it from
>> >GW?
>> >

>> >Any input appreciated,
>> >clif

I talk to a gateway tech today about IAA, and he said they did not support
that, if I wanted any information to contact the software tech support for any
question you may have or assistance you may need. Lot of Help hum, but he did
tell me that pay for support is available for a $1.09-$1.69 per minute. I have
the 510xl with the same basic config. you have upgrade my hd from 120 to 160
sata when I got the system, had to install and reformat and my system seems to
not be as fast as before, thinking about trying this program but not sure if it
will screw something up and cause me to have to reformat and install everything
again.

clif

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Ccrlyles wrote:
> I talk to a gateway tech today about IAA, and he said they did not support
> that, if I wanted any information to contact the software tech support for any
> question you may have or assistance you may need. Lot of Help hum, but he did
> tell me that pay for support is available for a $1.09-$1.69 per minute. I have
> the 510xl with the same basic config. you have upgrade my hd from 120 to 160
> sata when I got the system, had to install and reformat and my system seems to
> not be as fast as before, thinking about trying this program but not sure if it
> will screw something up and cause me to have to reformat and install everything
> again.

IAA will only work with older chipsets (you can check at the Intel.com
site).
The "new" IAA will support a RAID configuration but you need two HD's.
I re-installed winxp (again) and it seems better not great as before but
better. I used only the system cd's from gateway. My HD is still using
16 bit (byte?) mode... so who knows????

clif

Scott

Ben,

Yes, I checked out Intel's website and the IAA info is all there,
plus the download.

Thanks for the info.

Scott

On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:51:03 -0500, Scott Persons <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

> >Ben
> >
> >I also have a 700X (2 yrs old). Just what is the Intel Application
> >Accelerator...and where might I find it on the hard drive?
> >
> >I'd like to back it up in case I need to do an OS reinstall one day.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >Scott
> >
> >Ben Myers wrote:
> >
> >> You can download and install the Intel Application Accelerator from the Intel
> >> web site... Ben Myers

This is your typical name-brand vendor party line. In essence, they will not
support ANYTHING that you install, only what is installed by them. Makes no
difference whether the software is low level stuff like IAA and other drivers or
an app like PhotoShop or Acrobat Reader. Flat out, they won't support it.
Gateway is not alone in this regard. Dell is the same. HP is the same. So is
eMachines. Oops! I forgot. Gateway IS eMachines.

Frankly, I am the same for any of my clients who buy one of my custom-built new
systems or refurbished older systems. I cannot take responsibility for just any
software installed by my clients. They may install it incorrectly, they may
install incompatible software, or the software may be buggy.

I install IAA routinely on any computer I service as long as it has a compatible
Intel chipset, even non-Intel motherboards. Never had a problem yet. The
install is a no-brainer... Ben Myers

On 20 May 2004 20:58:29 GMT, ccrlyles@aol.com (Ccrlyles) wrote:

>I talk to a gateway tech today about IAA, and he said they did not support
>that, if I wanted any information to contact the software tech support for any
>question you may have or assistance you may need. Lot of Help hum, but he did
>tell me that pay for support is available for a $1.09-$1.69 per minute. I have
>the 510xl with the same basic config. you have upgrade my hd from 120 to 160
>sata when I got the system, had to install and reformat and my system seems to
>not be as fast as before, thinking about trying this program but not sure if it
>will screw something up and cause me to have to reformat and install everything
>again.

clif

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Apparently the IAA is only for a RAID config now with newer chipsets,
mine is the 875Pset so i'm
not supported by IAA. Its still available for older chipsets tho.
From the Intel site-
The Intel® Application Accelerator as well as the Intel Application
Accelerator RAID Edition do not support the ICH5 I/O Controller Hub. The
Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition only supports the RAID
controller in ICH5R and will not work with an ICH5 I/O Controller Hub.

If you have an ICH5 I/O Controller Hub, please use the Microsoft* native
storage driver built into Windows*. The Microsoft native storage driver
supports both Serial ATA and Parallel ATA hard drives.

It is important to know that there are two different ICH5 I/O Controller
Hubs: ICH5R and ICH5. The letter 'R' in ICH5R identifies that the I/O
Controller Hub has Intel® RAID Technology. ICH5 (without the letter 'R')
identifies that the I/O Controller Hub does not have Intel RAID
Technology. Intel® 865 and 875 chipset-based platforms may use the ICH5R
or ICH5 I/O Controller Hub and which one you have is dependent upon your
specific motherboard.