overclock P4 400MHZ to 533MHZ with pin tweaking

shenghsu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
Hi, I have the 845 chipset which supposedly can support 400mhz and 533mhz FSB P4. I have a P4 1.8GHZ 400MHZ that I want to run at 533MHZ. My motherboard does not have any FSB/multiplier tweaking. Can somebody tell me how to do it through the P4 pinouts?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can. In fact, I wrote an article on it several years ago. Almost got a job with your favorite site out of it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, the change is, you break off pin BSEL0. You can modify other pins to make the voltage different too. I was going to mod a board to disconnect all those pins and use switches for manually setting them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Mitch007

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
What's the best P4/400 for this (1.8A 2.0A ?) or will most work?

MIS645Ultra/P42.4@2.8Gig/2*Corsair 256MBit CL2-2-2-7XMSLLPT PC3200 DDR RAM/450W Enermax PSU/1*40Gig 7200rpm Wes-Dig/1*20Gig 7200 Hitachi Disk/GeF4 Ti4200 XFX Turbo 670/250 Ram/Core MHz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The easiest CPU would be the best CPU for doing it. The easiest to overclock would be the 1.6A, it will almost always reach the next bus speed without increasing core voltage. The 1.8A will usually run 100% stable at the next bus speed without raising the core voltage, but some need it raised. The 2.0A will often reach the next bus speed, but usually requires an increased core voltage.