Learning to ride a motorcycle

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I realize motorcycles aren't cars but I felt this category was somewhat relevant.

I'm thinking about taking the state required motorcycle education program this summer. In my state, you can't legally drive a motorcycle without taking the class first. The class consists of two lectures and two 5 hour riding sessions. I've never driven a motorcycle and haven't had any experience driving a manual transmission vehicle. My dad owns a motorcycle. Will it be hard learning manual transmission on a motorcycle?

galeener

Distinguished
Some people its easy some people its a little harder.
I have been riding dirt bikes since I was around 5 or 6.
How big is your dads bike if you were planning on learning on it.
If its a big bike you may want to get a used 125 cc dirt bike to practice on as its lite and a little more forgiving.
Then after your done with it you could just re sell it.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
OK don't learn to drive a motorcycle and a manual at the same time. Makes it much harder to get started.

Also for your first motorcycle/learning bike don't use anything nice. You are going to lay it over, scratch, dent, and ding it no matter how hard you try. I do not think your dad will want his motorcycle banged up unless it's a old bike.

Our state doesn't requires a class, but if you have $100 to blow, goto the local Harley Davidson shop and sign up for their class. Good training program there and people who have no issue telling you everything in black and white.

Dirt bikes are good starters bikes, if you can't handle a dirt bike you really can't handle a motorcycle. Also dirt bikes are more rugged and laying one over wont damage it as bad.

My instructor told me this when picking a bike.
Take your weight and double it Thats the amount of CC's should be about what your looking for in your first bike.

so 190lbs = 380cc's.

you need a bike you can easily handle the weight of. If it's to heavy that bike will kill you. here's some help.

1. One that is short enough you can easily touch the ground
2. Light enough that you can lean on one foot and support it with little effort.
3. Bugshield/helmet with faceshield (getting hit in the face by a hard shelled beatle sucks to no end and can cause you to react badly running off the road.
4. Go moderate- you need a starter bike not a 170mph racing bike, or that brand new 1100cc harley.
5. Get a leather pants/jacket to wear. Don't be a idiot and wears bluejeans and a tshirt. You may think it looks cool and feels better during the summer, but those items will save your life (and your spine).

6. Learn to drive in a dry parking lot - Loose gravel/dirt/mud/pot holes/rain are very dangerous when your first starting out.

7. Sign the back of your donor card : )

8. Have fun! if you stop having fun then stop riding : ) i'ts not for everyone. Personally I've had my license for 3 yrs after my second year i sold my bike and bought a sports car.

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Not at all. Riding a motorcycle means freedom. You might have problems with the clutch. Don't be intimidated, 'cause every beginner has that problem. keep on practicing.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I think we over analyze things here.

If your state requires some sort of test first, then do as oldman suggests. Start there...

If your state doesnt require the test first, then go get a motorcycle and get going. Man the last thing I want to hear is this preplanned logical progression based upon age and weight as to which motorcycle you SHOULD buy. Buy what you can afford - new or used and dont worry about it. You will grow into something you really want when the time is right.

There is no right bike, just the bike you are riding now....

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
go for it !! if you have a friend with a small bike maybe you mess with before the course .a clutch isn't that hard to learn either .