Lg6100 and verizon software or bitpim??

Last response: in Network Providers
June 22, 2005 10:50:12 PM

Ipicked up a verizon mobile office kit for my new lg6100 phone.
What I wanted to do is to transfer my phone book from my old
lg4400 to my new 6100. I used bitpim on my old phone. Just to
be on the safe side I thought I would ask about it here before I
installed the verizon software on my pc. I did plug in the phone
and my pc detected it and asked to install software for the new
device. I closed the window and opened bit pim, which couold
not detect the phone. Any advice on this? Should I install the
verizon software? Find some way of using just the cable with
bitpim? Return the office kit and get a future dial cable?
Thanks.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:03:10 PM

You should be able to get this done at a Verizon store. Bitpim is
unstable, unreliable, and buggy. My dad tried to use Bitpim on his LG
VX4400 with a mac and Bitpim, and it crashed halfway through the
transfer. After that, his phone book is messed up, and the phone OS
seems to be corrupted; the contact list shows up as empty, but if you
call a number that used to be in the phone book, it still comes up with
the name associated with that number from the phone book. So the data
isnt gone, it just seems to be inaccessable. I wouldn't risk it. Use
Verizon stuff; you should be able to get the contacts transferred at a
Verizon store.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 11:12:21 PM

I used bitpim with both LG VX$$)) and 4500 with no problem whatsoever, i did it
from a WinXP, laptop and desktop, and from a Windows server 2003. The trick is
having the right drivers, and the newest version of bitpim as well.

"DJ Craig" <spit@djtricities.com> wrote:
>You should be able to get this done at a Verizon store. Bitpim is
>unstable, unreliable, and buggy. My dad tried to use Bitpim on his LG
>VX4400 with a mac and Bitpim, and it crashed halfway through the
>transfer. After that, his phone book is messed up, and the phone OS
>seems to be corrupted; the contact list shows up as empty, but if you
>call a number that used to be in the phone book, it still comes up with
>the name associated with that number from the phone book. So the data
>isnt gone, it just seems to be inaccessable. I wouldn't risk it. Use
>Verizon stuff; you should be able to get the contacts transferred at a
>Verizon store.

June 24, 2005 4:16:50 AM

Yeah, you need to install the USB driver for the phone first, before the
program will recognize it. I've been using various versions of BitPim for
months now and haven't had a single problem, knock on wood.

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous

"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in

> Yeah, you need to install the USB driver for the phone
> first, before the program will recognize it. I've been
> using various versions of BitPim for months now and haven't
> had a single problem, knock on wood.

So what happened was I plugged in my old phone, the 4400, copied
the phone book and then plugged in the 6100 and transfered the
files with no problem. Then I plugged in my wifes phone and
attempted to transfer the phonebook to her 6100. No good.
Bitpim would not recognize the phone. I tried everything.
Settings on teh phone, the computer, the software, rebooting,
reinstalling, repeating, re-everything. Nothing worked.
Plugged in my phone, no problem. So I figured what teh heck I
installed verizons phonebook manager, followed the instructions
and was able to transfer the phonebook from my 6100 to her 6100
without problems. The only wierd thing was after everytime I
wrote or read something to the phones, the phone would reboot.
Thanks to all who replied and provided much needed assistance.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:16:37 PM

I use a product called "Data Pilot" on my LG6100 for phonebook and photo
transfers. Had a few startup problems but working good now. Many photos
transferred.
Jerry
"DJ Craig" <spit@djtricities.com> wrote in message
> You should be able to get this done at a Verizon store. Bitpim is
> unstable, unreliable, and buggy. My dad tried to use Bitpim on his LG
> VX4400 with a mac and Bitpim, and it crashed halfway through the
> transfer. After that, his phone book is messed up, and the phone OS
> seems to be corrupted; the contact list shows up as empty, but if you
> call a number that used to be in the phone book, it still comes up with
> the name associated with that number from the phone book. So the data
> isnt gone, it just seems to be inaccessable. I wouldn't risk it. Use
> Verizon stuff; you should be able to get the contacts transferred at a
> Verizon store.

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 9:07:55 PM

"Gerald Riggs" <cny73676@centurytel.net> wrote in message
>I use a product called "Data Pilot" on my LG6100 for phonebook and photo
>transfers. Had a few startup problems but working good now. Many photos
>transferred.
> Jerry
> "DJ Craig" <spit@djtricities.com> wrote in message

I too used to use Data Pilot, but no more. Switched from a VX4400 to a
VX6100. Had all the data from VX4400 saved but DP wouldn't recognize the
VX6100......said the program was too old & needed to upgrade to recognize
the 6100......for the cost of a new program. Screw that! Downloaded the
latest BitPim & transferred flawlessly. BTW BitPim was free, DataPilot
wasn't.

>> You should be able to get this done at a Verizon store. Bitpim is
>> unstable, unreliable, and buggy. My dad tried to use Bitpim on his LG
>> VX4400 with a mac and Bitpim, and it crashed halfway through the
>> transfer. After that, his phone book is messed up, and the phone OS
>> seems to be corrupted; the contact list shows up as empty, but if you
>> call a number that used to be in the phone book, it still comes up with
>> the name associated with that number from the phone book. So the data
>> isnt gone, it just seems to be inaccessable. I wouldn't risk it. Use
>> Verizon stuff; you should be able to get the contacts transferred at a
>> Verizon store.

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:01:01 AM

I don't know if this is off topic but in addition to Bitpim there are
leaked copies of Qualcomm's configuration software that will work with
the VX6100. It seems to be superior to BitPim. You can get a free
download of it here:

http://phone.sphereshards.com/

Also SmithMicro is the company that makes the software for the Mobile
Office Kit that Verizon sells. They make their own kits that I have
successfully tried on my own VX6100 (at least it works with their
downloadable software and Verizon's straight through cable - I haven't
got their cable yet). The link is here:

http://www.smithmicro.com/default.tpl?sku=QLMMAKEE&grou...

In fact they just bought Allume Systems Inc. which is tha maker of the
famous Mac archive maker Stuffit, so they are heavily invested in Mac
systems.

Finally, just as a note (again off topic) it seems that all Verizon
plans now allow you to use VX6100s as Modems at the Quick to Net
(QNC/Q2N) speed of 14.4 KB, provided you have a USB or serial cable
driver, and a dialer properly configured. This includes the
Prepaid/Pay As You Go Plans.

The painless way to go (painful to the wallet though) is with the
Mobile Office Kit if you have Windows or QuickLink® Mobile if you have
Mac. There appear to be many posts on different boards on how to do it
on the cheap with Ebay or Radio Shack cables with free USB drivers and
Modem scripts.
!