AMD CPU Choices

Blasphemy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
This is my first post, so first of all, I just want to say Hello to everyone. Okay, now for the reason I fell like posting. I am in the process of building a computer for myself, and I have come to a crossroads at the point when I need to buy a CPU. I have narrowed it down to 4 choices...AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer, 3400+ Clawhammer, 3200+ Newcastle, 3400+ Newcastle.

Let me point out I plan to overclock whatever CPU I get a good amount. Does the 1MB L2 Cache in the Clawhammer boost preformance? I know it was knocked down to 512K L2 with Newcastle, but with a 200mhz core boost. Price isn't really an issue here, I just want to know what the major differences between Clawhammer and Newcastle are (besides L2) and which OCs better. Thanks. I appreciate any input to assist in my final decision.

Incase anyone is curious, I will list what componants I have so far for my system:

What I have so far:
-Lian Li PC61 case
-Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
-Antec 480w Neopower PSU
-MSI K8N Neo Platinum
-Swiftech MCX6400-V w/ 80mm Panaflo H1A

What I plan to get:
-Western Digital 74GB Raptor HDD
-ATI Radeon X800 Pro (built by ATI)
-1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the Clawhammer overclocks about the same as the Newcastle, some people say better. If it clocks the same, the extra cache WILL offer a small improvement over the Newcastle.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS