Murzo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
I have the athlon 3200+ and I am using a Swiftech MCX462-V VFin AMD Socket 462 cooler with an 80mm vantec tornado fan, i never overclocked before but sort of have an idea of how to, i have the asus A7N8X-deleuxe rev2.0 mobo and it allows my multiplier to go up 2 15 x 200mhz(400fsb), i have read somewhere that the 3200+ max speed is 3ghz i no i wont achieve this with air cooling has any1 got an idea of what speed i might get with this cooling, also can u explain the what the vcore actually is and does i would guess its the voltage core and is how much power is supplied to cpu? is this right?

Also would it be worth investing in water cooling to overlock the 3200+ as i have read somewhere in this forum that it is hard to keep the system stable and requires alot of maintenance

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
How old your CPU is will tell whether or not you'll be able to change the multiplier. If your multiplier is locked (as I understand it, any chip up to about a year old is lcked), then all you can do to OC is up the FSB.

I think I've heard people get 2.6ghz or more on air. Every chip is different however, as some OC better than others.

Is your 3200+ a 166fsb or 200fsb? The 166fsb one is a 2.4g CPU I think, and the 200fsb runs at 2.2.

Yes, the vcore is the voltage applied to the CPU. OCing is a balance between more voltage to keep the chip stable at higher speeds, and enough cooling to keep that voltage from overheating the CPU.

Remember, if you have a multiplier locked cpu, then you will have to up your FSB to OC it and that means you will also be overclocking your PCI, AGP and memory busses (the XP series doesn't have a PCI/AGP lock that I know of), which will limit your OC potential unless you have the 166fsb chip (which you could then potentially - assuming the CPU will run that fast - run it at 200 with the /6 divider to keep your PCI/AGP in spec.

Anyways, best thing to do is read the overclocking guide at the top of this forum and have a go...

Mike.

PS: I don't have a 3200, I have a barton 2600 that I OC'd to faster than 3200 speeds on the stock HSF - 11.5x166 CPU that's running at 11.5x200. Could probably go higher if I got a better hsf and a mobo that had better vcore adjustments...

Fishmahn, pretty much covered your main questions. Your mulitplier is going to be locked, so you will have to up your FSB.

I have a 2800+ XP Barton Core, that runs 2.6 ghz, on air cooling (2800+ runs 2.08 ghz stock).

As for the water cooling, probably not really worth it, depends on how serious you get with overclocking.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I woulda said 2.4-2.5ghz aircooled... depends on the core & cooler though...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
All Athlon XP chips have max speed of 3ghz. Just a matter of how cool you can keep it and/or how much juice you are will to dish to.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>