zalman flower temps - athlon xp 2200

shamble

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004
hello,

i've got an athlonxp 2200 cpu cooled by a zalman flower with artic silver paste (3 i think). when idle i get temps of around 53 degrees with the fan on full speed and 2 slow moving case fans.

when on full load however it shoots up despite having a powerful case fan blowing air over it. when playing the new football manager demo its not lasting more than a minute before asus probe shuts the pc down because its hit 80.

i've asked on newsgroups and they have suggested that the heatsink may be on wrong, the zalman instructions do not state which way the hsf has to face... anyone got an idea how i can improve this situation? or should i get a new cooler.. i've being looking at the cooler master jet.. will i get better performance with this?

thanks in advance

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
How much thermal paste are you using? Putting too much on could possibly cause something like that though I don't think it would cause the temps to raise that much.
When you pull the heatsink off does the arctic silver have a nice even rectangular smear left? If not that means it is not sitting properly. That heatsink is pretty big, make sure nothing is blocking it from sitting properly.
You might as well try flipping it the other direction if it can be flipped.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tom's said the flower sux, like 2 years ago.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
The flower isnt the circle one right?
its the fanned out one? yes?

Cuz the circle shaped one is an awesome cooler, it can cool down very hot prescotts with ease.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The flower is the fan shaped one, designed to be passive, but including a fan and bracket just in case passive doesn't do it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
ah yes, that one. good for old thingies that didnt need much at all, lacked in ability to push out the hot air though, the fan above system is not a standardized thing on anyones board.

the new guy pimp's though

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The main problem with that cooler is the fan that mounts above it. Too slow. I have an unlocked XP-2500+ running 10.5 X 200mhz on a NF7-S as my back-up PC. Never idles more than 48C and never sees 60C even after hours of Doom3. Get a 92mm Thermaltake fan and plug it straight into the CPU-FAN header. Make sure it is blowing down on the heatsink. The stock fan spins at 2200rpm and the Thermaltake spins at 2700rpm. You won't hear the difference. Don't use any speed control on this fan either. Not necessary as it is not noisy.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

skinnyjoint

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
hey can someoen post some pics of both different fans cirlce and fanned but sounds like there the same thing or somthing but ne pics?