Upgrade time - motorola questions

Last response: in Network Providers
June 23, 2005 3:19:20 AM

My 'anniversary' for NE2 is mid-August, so naturally I've been thinking
about whether to get a new phone and which one. I've used only Motorola
phones thus far, and I have accessories that I'd like to continue to use,
such as chargers and a data cable. Those accessories were compatible with a
v120c and v60p/s. MAIN QUESTION: Does anyone know if the currently-offered
Motorola phones use the same connectors?

Beyond that, I'm really not sure which phone to get, so I'd of course
appreciate any constructive opinions on the matter. According to phonescoop
my potential Motorola options include the v710, the v265, a840, and e815
(whenever it gets released). I don't want to spend more than ~$100 out of
pocket, so the a840 and e815 may be out of the running, especially since the
e815 hasn't even been priced yet. Should I look at another brand? The
signal, voice clarity, and battery life are the most important to me. I
thought I'd definitely want tri-mode but honestly I think I've only ever
made ONE analog call (which wasn't even important) so perhaps all-digital is
okay.

I'd really like a RAZR or PEBL but I'm not even considering them for several
obvious reasons...

TIA,
June 24, 2005 2:31:27 AM

"bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in news:LaCdnQJdZK6jtyffRVn-
hQ@rcn.net:

> Does anyone know if the currently-offered
> Motorola phones use the same connectors?

Of course not! How can they sell you $300 in new accessories if the damned
phones used the same batteries/chargers/accessories like all the old Moto
flipphones did for so many years?

Follow the M-o-n-e-y!....We give you the phones and rip you for a $30
cord....

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:05:50 AM

"Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in news:LaCdnQJdZK6jtyffRVn-
> hQ@rcn.net:
>
>> Does anyone know if the currently-offered
>> Motorola phones use the same connectors?
>
> Of course not! How can they sell you $300 in new accessories if the
> damned
> phones used the same batteries/chargers/accessories like all the old Moto
> flipphones did for so many years?
>
> Follow the M-o-n-e-y!....We give you the phones and rip you for a $30
> cord....

Larry, do you actually know this or are you just taking a stab in the air
(albeit a reasonable one!)? I thought you still used a bag phone?

Cheers,
Bex
June 24, 2005 4:20:34 PM

The DataPilot website has a list of Moto phones that use the same data
cable. I believe the 120c cable is shown as compatible with the v265.
Check the site out. Don't know about charging, though.
June 24, 2005 4:35:26 PM

bex wrote:
> My 'anniversary' for NE2 is mid-August, so naturally I've been thinking
> about whether to get a new phone and which one. I've used only Motorola
> phones thus far, and I have accessories that I'd like to continue to use,
> such as chargers and a data cable. Those accessories were compatible with a
> v120c and v60p/s. MAIN QUESTION: Does anyone know if the currently-offered
> Motorola phones use the same connectors?

My buddy said his v60 cables worked with his new v710.

> Beyond that, I'm really not sure which phone to get, so I'd of course
> appreciate any constructive opinions on the matter. According to phonescoop
> my potential Motorola options include the v710, the v265, a840, and e815
> (whenever it gets released). I don't want to spend more than ~$100 out of
> pocket, so the a840 and e815 may be out of the running, especially since the
> e815 hasn't even been priced yet. Should I look at another brand? The
> signal, voice clarity, and battery life are the most important to me. I
> thought I'd definitely want tri-mode but honestly I think I've only ever
> made ONE analog call (which wasn't even important) so perhaps all-digital is
> okay.

I have had no need for analog for at least the past year. Previously I
would sometimes go to an area where the roaming partner was analog only
but they have added 1X digital to their system and no longer feature bag
phones on their web site.

> I'd really like a RAZR or PEBL but I'm not even considering them for several
> obvious reasons...
>
> TIA,

June 25, 2005 1:35:21 AM

"bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in
news:D sCdnWXf-owl5CbfRVn-2g@rcn.net:

> Larry, do you actually know this or are you just taking a stab in the
> air (albeit a reasonable one!)? I thought you still used a bag phone?

Look at the rack of batteries in any cellphone store.....answers your own
question. Do they fit in the old pouches?...no. Do the 6 batteries you
paid $80 apiece for to get the big capacity fit?...no. Will the new phone
drop in your old $150 quickcharger....no.

There seems to be a new trick, now....CHANGE COMPANIES ENTIRELY....We'll
sell LG this period, Audiovox next, Moto another....

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:35:22 AM

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in
> news:D sCdnWXf-owl5CbfRVn-2g@rcn.net:
>
>> Larry, do you actually know this or are you just taking
>> a stab in the air (albeit a reasonable one!)? I thought
>> you still used a bag phone?
>>

> Look at the rack of batteries in any cellphone
> store.....answers your own question. Do they fit in the
> old pouches?...no. Do the 6 batteries you paid $80
> apiece for to get the big capacity fit?...no. Will the
> new phone drop in your old $150 quickcharger....no.
>
> There seems to be a new trick, now....CHANGE COMPANIES
> ENTIRELY....We'll sell LG this period, Audiovox next,
> Moto another....

You really don't get it do you Larry? They could care
less if you buy new phones or accessories. In fact they
would love to be out of the business of selling (and
having to service) equipment completely. There isn't
any money in it for them and it's basically just a pain.

Listen closely: Their business is selling services. Basic
cell service, txt and pic messaging, data, etx. Services,
not hardware. That's where the money is at. They are
more or less forced to subsidize and sell equipment to
enable customers to buy their services. In fact they lose
money on selling equipment and accessories. It's public
record but I'm sure you don't want to look at it. Go back
to your tired old rants about removing chairs from the
waiting rooms and such. At least that was mildly amusing
and had some basis and warped truth to it.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:59:36 AM

> "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in
> news:D sCdnWXf-owl5CbfRVn-2g@rcn.net:
>
>> Larry, do you actually know this or are you just taking a stab in the
>> air (albeit a reasonable one!)? I thought you still used a bag phone?
>>

> Look at the rack of batteries in any cellphone store.....answers your own
> question. Do they fit in the old pouches?...no. Do the 6 batteries you
> paid $80 apiece for to get the big capacity fit?...no. Will the new phone
> drop in your old $150 quickcharger....no.
>
> There seems to be a new trick, now....CHANGE COMPANIES ENTIRELY....We'll
> sell LG this period, Audiovox next, Moto another....

Larry, I really don't want to make this personal, because I've read a lot of
your posts and I know you're intelligent. But I'm pretty gorram sure you're
pulling all of this out of your ass without actually *knowing* an answer.
Please don't pretend to have a real answer when you're just spouting
opinion - it's not helpful. I totally understand your point about the
accessories as a concept but you aren't providing me with the simple,
applicable information which I am seeking. When I looked at a v710 today in
store, it appeared that the ports may very well be the same as what I'm used
to. THAT is potentially valuable information.

I didn't ask about batteries. Any idiot knows you can't use the same fitted
case for a phone with a different form factor. I don't know what the frig
you're talking about 6 batteries for. Or $150 for a charger. That's
lunacy.

Rebecca
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:44:56 PM

"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:p uKdnTWinv-GqyHfRVn-tQ@adelphia.com...
> bex wrote:
>> My 'anniversary' for NE2 is mid-August, so naturally I've been thinking
>> about whether to get a new phone and which one. I've used only Motorola
>> phones thus far, and I have accessories that I'd like to continue to use,
>> such as chargers and a data cable. Those accessories were compatible
>> with a v120c and v60p/s. MAIN QUESTION: Does anyone know if the
>> currently-offered Motorola phones use the same connectors?
>

> My buddy said his v60 cables worked with his new v710.
>

>> Beyond that, I'm really not sure which phone to get, so I'd of course
>> appreciate any constructive opinions on the matter. According to
>> phonescoop my potential Motorola options include the v710, the v265,
>> a840, and e815 (whenever it gets released). I don't want to spend more
>> than ~$100 out of pocket, so the a840 and e815 may be out of the running,
>> especially since the e815 hasn't even been priced yet. Should I look at
>> another brand? The signal, voice clarity, and battery life are the most
>> important to me. I thought I'd definitely want tri-mode but honestly I
>> think I've only ever made ONE analog call (which wasn't even important)
>> so perhaps all-digital is okay.
>

> I have had no need for analog for at least the past year. Previously I
> would sometimes go to an area where the roaming partner was analog only
> but they have added 1X digital to their system and no longer feature bag
> phones on their web site.

Thank you for some straightforward answers, George.

Rebecca
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:46:15 PM

<nolonemo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The DataPilot website has a list of Moto phones that use the same data
> cable. I believe the 120c cable is shown as compatible with the v265.
> Check the site out. Don't know about charging, though.

Ok, that's potentially helpful. I'm wondering if the verizon mobile office
kit I have for v60p/s will work. Or at least the cables if not the
software. I'm not versed in how the drivers do what they do to communicate
with the phone.

Rebecca
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:47:39 PM

You might be able to find out what phones your kit supports by firing
it up and and poking around in the help...
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:58:52 PM

> Larry W4CSC wrote:
> > "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in
> > news:D sCdnWXf-owl5CbfRVn-2g@rcn.net:
> >
> >> Larry, do you actually know this or are you just taking
> >> a stab in the air (albeit a reasonable one!)? I thought
> >> you still used a bag phone?
> >>

> > Look at the rack of batteries in any cellphone
> > store.....answers your own question. Do they fit in the
> > old pouches?...no. Do the 6 batteries you paid $80
> > apiece for to get the big capacity fit?...no. Will the
> > new phone drop in your old $150 quickcharger....no.
> >
> > There seems to be a new trick, now....CHANGE COMPANIES
> > ENTIRELY....We'll sell LG this period, Audiovox next,
> > Moto another....
>
> You really don't get it do you Larry? They could care
> less if you buy new phones or accessories. In fact they
> would love to be out of the business of selling (and
> having to service) equipment completely. There isn't
> any money in it for them and it's basically just a pain.
>
> Listen closely: Their business is selling services. Basic
> cell service, txt and pic messaging, data, etx. Services,
> not hardware. That's where the money is at. They are
> more or less forced to subsidize and sell equipment to
> enable customers to buy their services. In fact they lose
> money on selling equipment and accessories. It's public
> record but I'm sure you don't want to look at it. Go back
> to your tired old rants about removing chairs from the
> waiting rooms and such. At least that was mildly amusing
> and had some basis and warped truth to it.
>
> -Quick

They "lose money selling equipment?" I guess bar lose money selling brews at
$2.50 apiece too, eh?
IF they lose anything on hardware, they make that up many times over at the
other end but the consumer buys from both ends. No, there's very little done
anymore for the consumer and everything aimed at profits.........big
profits. Checked the gas pump lately?
June 25, 2005 5:58:53 PM

SOME BAD HAT HARRY wrote:

> They "lose money selling equipment?" I guess bar lose money selling brews at
> $2.50 apiece too, eh?
> IF they lose anything on hardware, they make that up many times over at the
> other end but the consumer buys from both ends. No, there's very little done
> anymore for the consumer and everything aimed at profits.........big
> profits. Checked the gas pump lately?

I can't say anthing about oil but cellular communications is certainly
the cheapest it has ever been. It was not that long ago that it cost
$1.00/minute to make a call and not unusual to find youself having to
make a call in a roaming area and find it cost $3.00/minute. It costs a
whopping $0.06/minute with my current plan and there is a very minimal
chance I would ever need to roam.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:00:26 PM

"bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in message

> "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> > "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in
> > news:D sCdnWXf-owl5CbfRVn-2g@rcn.net:
> >
> >> Larry, do you actually know this or are you just taking a stab in the
> >> air (albeit a reasonable one!)? I thought you still used a bag phone?
> >>

> > Look at the rack of batteries in any cellphone store.....answers your
own
> > question. Do they fit in the old pouches?...no. Do the 6 batteries you
> > paid $80 apiece for to get the big capacity fit?...no. Will the new
phone
> > drop in your old $150 quickcharger....no.
> >
> > There seems to be a new trick, now....CHANGE COMPANIES ENTIRELY....We'll
> > sell LG this period, Audiovox next, Moto another....
> >

> Larry, I really don't want to make this personal, because I've read a lot
of
> your posts and I know you're intelligent. But I'm pretty gorram sure
you're
> pulling all of this out of your ass without actually *knowing* an answer.
> Please don't pretend to have a real answer when you're just spouting
> opinion - it's not helpful. I totally understand your point about the
> accessories as a concept but you aren't providing me with the simple,
> applicable information which I am seeking. When I looked at a v710 today
in
> store, it appeared that the ports may very well be the same as what I'm
used
> to. THAT is potentially valuable information.
>
> I didn't ask about batteries. Any idiot knows you can't use the same
fitted
> case for a phone with a different form factor. I don't know what the frig
> you're talking about 6 batteries for. Or $150 for a charger. That's
> lunacy.
>
> Rebecca

If you looked at the phone and you had a sales rep there drooling for a
sales, why not ask them and we could have avoided this whole mes..?

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:00:27 PM

"SOME BAD HAT HARRY" <badhatharry@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
>> > "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in
>> > news:D sCdnWXf-owl5CbfRVn-2g@rcn.net:

>> > Look at the rack of batteries in any cellphone store.....answers your
> own
>> > question. Do they fit in the old pouches?...no. Do the 6 batteries
>> > you
>> > paid $80 apiece for to get the big capacity fit?...no. Will the new
> phone
>> > drop in your old $150 quickcharger....no.
>> >
>> > There seems to be a new trick, now....CHANGE COMPANIES
>> > ENTIRELY....We'll
>> > sell LG this period, Audiovox next, Moto another....
>> >

>> Larry, I really don't want to make this personal, because I've read a lot
> of
>> your posts and I know you're intelligent. But I'm pretty gorram sure
> you're
>> pulling all of this out of your ass without actually *knowing* an answer.
>> Please don't pretend to have a real answer when you're just spouting
>> opinion - it's not helpful. I totally understand your point about the
>> accessories as a concept but you aren't providing me with the simple,
>> applicable information which I am seeking. When I looked at a v710 today
> in
>> store, it appeared that the ports may very well be the same as what I'm
> used
>> to. THAT is potentially valuable information.
>>
>> I didn't ask about batteries. Any idiot knows you can't use the same
> fitted
>> case for a phone with a different form factor. I don't know what the
>> frig
>> you're talking about 6 batteries for. Or $150 for a charger. That's
>> lunacy.
>>
>> Rebecca
>>
> If you looked at the phone and you had a sales rep there drooling for a
> sales, why not ask them and we could have avoided this whole mes..?

Look, when I posted the question I HAD NOT seen any phones yet.

Drooling. Hah. In the corporate store I visited one person asked if I
needed help and I said "not yet". I was in there for twenty minutes
handling various phones, looking at plan literature, and not one rep came to
me. They weren't busy either. On the other hand, I did visit a store that
I promised myself I'd never purchase from due to a dick that worked there
two years ago.

June 25, 2005 6:00:28 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:31:19 -0400, "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com>
wrote:

>> If you looked at the phone and you had a sales rep there drooling for a
>> sales, why not ask them and we could have avoided this whole mes..?
>>>

>Look, when I posted the question I HAD NOT seen any phones yet.
>
>Drooling. Hah. In the corporate store I visited one person asked if I
>needed help and I said "not yet". I was in there for twenty minutes
>handling various phones, looking at plan literature, and not one rep came to
>me. They weren't busy either. On the other hand, I did visit a store that
>I promised myself I'd never purchase from due to a dick that worked there
>two years ago.

Actually, you are probably much better off reading this (even with its
idiots) and the Howard forums and doing what you did in the store
rather than listening to a salesperson.

Many sales people are just tha, salespeoplet. I find that they have
limited knowledge about the products they sell. When I purchased a new
car last month I found that after doing my research, I knew much more
about it than the sales people I dealt with.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:00:33 PM

> SOME BAD HAT HARRY wrote:
>

> > They "lose money selling equipment?" I guess bar lose money selling
brews at
> > $2.50 apiece too, eh?
> > IF they lose anything on hardware, they make that up many times over at
the
> > other end but the consumer buys from both ends. No, there's very little
done
> > anymore for the consumer and everything aimed at profits.........big
> > profits. Checked the gas pump lately?
> >

> I can't say anthing about oil but cellular communications is certainly
> the cheapest it has ever been. It was not that long ago that it cost
> $1.00/minute to make a call and not unusual to find youself having to
> make a call in a roaming area and find it cost $3.00/minute. It costs a
> whopping $0.06/minute with my current plan and there is a very minimal
> chance I would ever need to roam.

I have to admit you're right. Even though prices have not dropped much
lately, they did have a period where they fell drastically. I'm sure this
was to get the mainstream in and not make the service elite anymore. A
perfect example of dropping prices, involving more consumers and making more
money in the end. Perfect for everyone.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:03:03 PM

> "SOME BAD HAT HARRY" <badhatharry@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message

> > own
> > phone

> >> Larry, I really don't want to make this personal, because I've read a
lot
> > of
> >> your posts and I know you're intelligent. But I'm pretty gorram sure
> > you're
> >> pulling all of this out of your ass without actually *knowing* an
answer.
> >> Please don't pretend to have a real answer when you're just spouting
> >> opinion - it's not helpful. I totally understand your point about the
> >> accessories as a concept but you aren't providing me with the simple,
> >> applicable information which I am seeking. When I looked at a v710
today
> > in
> >> store, it appeared that the ports may very well be the same as what I'm
> > used
> >> to. THAT is potentially valuable information.
> >>
> >> I didn't ask about batteries. Any idiot knows you can't use the same
> > fitted
> >> case for a phone with a different form factor. I don't know what the
> >> frig
> >> you're talking about 6 batteries for. Or $150 for a charger. That's
> >> lunacy.
> >>
> >> Rebecca
> >>
> > If you looked at the phone and you had a sales rep there drooling for a
> > sales, why not ask them and we could have avoided this whole mes..?
> >>

> Look, when I posted the question I HAD NOT seen any phones yet.
>
> Drooling. Hah. In the corporate store I visited one person asked if I
> needed help and I said "not yet". I was in there for twenty minutes
> handling various phones, looking at plan literature, and not one rep came
> me. They weren't busy either. On the other hand, I did visit a store
that
> I promised myself I'd never purchase from due to a dick that worked there
> two years ago.

Understood. I don't visit our local store much but each time I go in, there
is almost a guy there opening the door and before I get to the counter,
there's another asking if I need help. Problem is, I usually get the cute
girl with the gum who looks the part but can't tell me the specifics. Then
again, that might not be all bad either. If you get the 710, give us a
rundown of your opinion. I'm about to go there myself.

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:11:19 PM

> "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in message
>>
>> "SOME BAD HAT HARRY" <badhatharry@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in message

> the
> phone?

>> > own
>> > phone

> lot
>> > of
>> > you're
> answer.
> today
>> > in
>> > used

>> > fitted

>> > If you looked at the phone and you had a sales rep there drooling for a
>> > sales, why not ask them and we could have avoided this whole mes..?
>> >>

>> Look, when I posted the question I HAD NOT seen any phones yet.
>>
>> Drooling. Hah. In the corporate store I visited one person asked if I
>> needed help and I said "not yet". I was in there for twenty minutes
>> handling various phones, looking at plan literature, and not one rep came
>> me. They weren't busy either. On the other hand, I did visit a store
> that
>> I promised myself I'd never purchase from due to a dick that worked there
>> two years ago.

> Understood. I don't visit our local store much but each time I go in,
> there
> is almost a guy there opening the door and before I get to the counter,
> there's another asking if I need help. Problem is, I usually get the cute
> girl with the gum who looks the part but can't tell me the specifics. Then
> again, that might not be all bad either. If you get the 710, give us a
> rundown of your opinion. I'm about to go there myself.

Okay. I'm almost definitely going to get the e815 as long as the arrival
time isn't toooo late and the pricing is what's been posted on HOFO. The
710 I looked at in the store seemed like a decent possibility except I was
duly UNimpressed by the keypad, which was falling apart in 3 of the 4 store
models I've seen (two stores). I'm not abusive to my phones, but I'd be an
unhappy camper if that happened to me. One rep yesterday told me, when
asked, that yes, a lot of people had returned their v710s for that reason.
Could have been from the primary batch, though, since I understand the phone
went through some hardware and software refinement since it was introduced.

Rebecca
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:38:24 AM

Something to think about for sure. Good luck with the new one.

> "SOME BAD HAT HARRY" <badhatharry@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "SOME BAD HAT HARRY" <badhatharry@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > the
> > phone?

> > lot
> > answer.
> > today

That's

> >> Look, when I posted the question I HAD NOT seen any phones yet.
> >>
> >> Drooling. Hah. In the corporate store I visited one person asked if I
> >> needed help and I said "not yet". I was in there for twenty minutes
> >> handling various phones, looking at plan literature, and not one rep
came
> >> me. They weren't busy either. On the other hand, I did visit a store
> > that
> >> I promised myself I'd never purchase from due to a dick that worked
there
> >> two years ago.

> > Understood. I don't visit our local store much but each time I go in,
> > there
> > is almost a guy there opening the door and before I get to the counter,
> > there's another asking if I need help. Problem is, I usually get the
cute
> > girl with the gum who looks the part but can't tell me the specifics.
Then
> > again, that might not be all bad either. If you get the 710, give us a
> > rundown of your opinion. I'm about to go there myself.
> >

> Okay. I'm almost definitely going to get the e815 as long as the arrival
> time isn't toooo late and the pricing is what's been posted on HOFO. The
> 710 I looked at in the store seemed like a decent possibility except I was
> duly UNimpressed by the keypad, which was falling apart in 3 of the 4
store
> models I've seen (two stores). I'm not abusive to my phones, but I'd be
an
> unhappy camper if that happened to me. One rep yesterday told me, when
> asked, that yes, a lot of people had returned their v710s for that reason.
> Could have been from the primary batch, though, since I understand the
phone
> went through some hardware and software refinement since it was
introduced.

> Rebecca

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:29:19 PM

The data cable will work fine. If the MobileOffice software itself
doesn't work out-of-box, a driver update online will fix that. (All the
mot phone's using the CE-Bus connector use very similar software - ie.
v60, v710, t720, and even most GSM phones from other providers will
communicate with a computer using the same data cable and softwre.)

With that said, all accessories that plug into the CE-bus connector on
the bottom (chargers, FM radio headsets, etc) should work fine on any
CE-bus based handset. Worst comes to worst, a device won't work, but
nothing should be fried because Mot designed that port knowing it would
be put on many phones and devices shouldn't accidentally fry themselves
if connected to a phone with incompatible software.

Non-specialized headsets all hook to the 2.5mm jack on top, and every
older mot headset should work on newer mot phones. The v710 and newer
ones also have an enhanced 2.5mm jack that lets you plug specialized
stereo headphone headsets in (with a fourth connector on the 2.5mm tip)
for listening to mp3s off the TransFlash slot.

As Larry said, the batteries are different in almost every model phone.

The v265 and lower models aren't worth the money IMO. Tiny washed out
passive matrix color screens. It's like having to look at words in a
bucket of muddy water. Now that mot has worked out the kinks in their
new handset OS however from the t720 fiasco, all of their handsets work
MUCH better at reception, so any of the lot would probably work fine.)

Unless you travel to Europe very often, you are probably not going to
need the a840. It's only benefit is that it can do GSM 900/1800
(europe/asia/etc.) and it does so by removing Bluetooth.

The Bluetooth enabled handsets are very nice to use, especially in
conjunction with a good headset and their Motospeak voice dialing. I've
taken my entire cell phone setup in my car (without need for 500 docks
and wires) down to just the headset on my ear. I can make calls to
anyone in my phonebook with the push of a button, and anybody not in my
phonebook - still can go "digit dial" and say the phone number to the
phone and it will call that way too. Very convenient.

I use a v710 myself (using accessories from a v551, v60p, v60i, and
Nextel all interchangably with no problem) and I take quite good care of
my handsets and have yet to have any problems with the keypad.

Skuzz

bex wrote:
> "George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:p uKdnTWinv-GqyHfRVn-tQ@adelphia.com...
>
>>bex wrote:
>>
>>>My 'anniversary' for NE2 is mid-August, so naturally I've been thinking
>>>about whether to get a new phone and which one. I've used only Motorola
>>>phones thus far, and I have accessories that I'd like to continue to use,
>>>such as chargers and a data cable. Those accessories were compatible
>>>with a v120c and v60p/s. MAIN QUESTION: Does anyone know if the
>>>currently-offered Motorola phones use the same connectors?
>>

>>My buddy said his v60 cables worked with his new v710.
>>

>>>Beyond that, I'm really not sure which phone to get, so I'd of course
>>>appreciate any constructive opinions on the matter. According to
>>>phonescoop my potential Motorola options include the v710, the v265,
>>>a840, and e815 (whenever it gets released). I don't want to spend more
>>>than ~$100 out of pocket, so the a840 and e815 may be out of the running,
>>>especially since the e815 hasn't even been priced yet. Should I look at
>>>another brand? The signal, voice clarity, and battery life are the most
>>>important to me. I thought I'd definitely want tri-mode but honestly I
>>>think I've only ever made ONE analog call (which wasn't even important)
>>>so perhaps all-digital is okay.
>>

>>I have had no need for analog for at least the past year. Previously I
>>would sometimes go to an area where the roaming partner was analog only
>>but they have added 1X digital to their system and no longer feature bag
>>phones on their web site.
>>

> Thank you for some straightforward answers, George.
>
> Rebecca

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:30:36 AM

"Skuzz" <skuzz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> The data cable will work fine. If the MobileOffice software itself doesn't
> work out-of-box, a driver update online will fix that. (All the mot
> phone's using the CE-Bus connector use very similar software - ie. v60,
> v710, t720, and even most GSM phones from other providers will communicate
> with a computer using the same data cable and softwre.)
>
> With that said, all accessories that plug into the CE-bus connector on the
> bottom (chargers, FM radio headsets, etc) should work fine on any CE-bus
> based handset. Worst comes to worst, a device won't work, but nothing
> should be fried because Mot designed that port knowing it would be put on
> many phones and devices shouldn't accidentally fry themselves if connected
> to a phone with incompatible software.
>
> Non-specialized headsets all hook to the 2.5mm jack on top, and every
> older mot headset should work on newer mot phones. The v710 and newer ones
> also have an enhanced 2.5mm jack that lets you plug specialized stereo
> headphone headsets in (with a fourth connector on the 2.5mm tip) for
> listening to mp3s off the TransFlash slot.
>
> As Larry said, the batteries are different in almost every model phone.
>
> The v265 and lower models aren't worth the money IMO. Tiny washed out
> passive matrix color screens. It's like having to look at words in a
> bucket of muddy water. Now that mot has worked out the kinks in their new
> handset OS however from the t720 fiasco, all of their handsets work MUCH
> better at reception, so any of the lot would probably work fine.)
>
> Unless you travel to Europe very often, you are probably not going to need
> the a840. It's only benefit is that it can do GSM 900/1800
> (europe/asia/etc.) and it does so by removing Bluetooth.
>
> The Bluetooth enabled handsets are very nice to use, especially in
> conjunction with a good headset and their Motospeak voice dialing. I've
> taken my entire cell phone setup in my car (without need for 500 docks and
> wires) down to just the headset on my ear. I can make calls to anyone in
> my phonebook with the push of a button, and anybody not in my phonebook -
> still can go "digit dial" and say the phone number to the phone and it
> will call that way too. Very convenient.
>
> I use a v710 myself (using accessories from a v551, v60p, v60i, and Nextel
> all interchangably with no problem) and I take quite good care of my
> handsets and have yet to have any problems with the keypad.
>
> Skuzz

Skuzz,
Thanks for posting this. What you wrote is both encouraging and very
informative. I hope I can still use DUN with e815 (or is it capital E815)
although I've seen that some say it's inactivated/crippled. It's a real
shame Verizon doesn't give us a choice about what features the phones
retain - from my own naive view it seems to me they should offer it with the
features that motorola put in there, perhaps at extra cost, if they're so
worried about every little pix and vcast and stuff I'm not even going to
use.

I agree about the v265 and I'm not even considering it. Just E815 and V710;
V710 only if there's a major problem with the E815 and/or I can't get it
until, say, September, not that I expect any real problems.

I'm not sure why I keep reading that people dislike the...what did you call
it...oh, there, CE-Bus connector. Doesn't bother me any. And I prefer the
charging port the way it is because it's nice and secure. I've only had two
minor issues: I bought an aftermarket car charger a couple of years ago and
it didn't work because the pins didn't stay connected somehow. The other
was that after stepping on the end of the motorola travel charger 100 times
it finally broke (but I fixed it easily with electrical tape - just the
plastic piece that allows release).

I'll be curious to see what capabilities the transflash card has in terms of
read/write.

Rebecca
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:30:37 AM

Bex,

If I'm not mistaken, the 815 will be EVDO.
I'd wait.

> [...]
>
> I agree about the v265 and I'm not even considering it. Just E815 and
> V710; V710 only if there's a major problem with the E815 and/or I can't
> get it until, say, September, not that I expect any real problems.
>
> I'm not sure why I keep reading that people dislike the...what did you
> call it...oh, there, CE-Bus connector. Doesn't bother me any. And I
> prefer the charging port the way it is because it's nice and secure. I've
> only had two minor issues: I bought an aftermarket car charger a couple of
> years ago and it didn't work because the pins didn't stay connected
> somehow. The other was that after stepping on the end of the motorola
> travel charger 100 times it finally broke (but I fixed it easily with
> electrical tape - just the plastic piece that allows release).
>
> I'll be curious to see what capabilities the transflash card has in terms

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:14:15 PM

Yeah Provided Verizon doesn't do something über-retarded and finds new
ways to cripple the handset the e815 is prob the way to
go....buuuut...even if it's a new handset based on old design there are
often bugs in the first release. The v710 had a rotated camera that was
like 1/2 a degree off-center, the v60c had glitches galore and a text
message bombing bug, the v60i had the text bombing bug still and a few
less glitches, the t720...well...'nuff said.

So if you want to hold out for the e815 i'd budget an extra month or two
after it comes out before purchasing just to make sure there's not some
first-release fatal flaw.

Regarding the handset feature locking/crippling, that angers me. They
should let customers have choices, not do the darth-vader approach to
wireless. Of course I'm sure they claim this is to guarantee data
revenue from their walled-garden data choices which is kinda funny. I
was reading an article in WirelessWeek where Cingular's CEO committed to
continuing a hands-off approach to wireless data products, allowing
unrelated third parties to sell their products through Cingular's
network, and they're actually going ahead and setting up a go-between
commerce/standards system to help out the unrelated third parties market
their products to Cingular customers. Cingular still has the highest
ARPU (annual revenue per user) of the two big playas in data. (VZ/Cing)
Not that we as consumers care that they're successfully making more
money off their data customers, but as long as they are making a good
profit on data, chances are they won't be as inclined to do Verizon's
lock-users-out-of-every-phone-feature methodology. (Which is really
nice, the Cingular handset I had was full unlocked bluetooth, full
unlocked Java, full unlocked text, web browser, MMS, every setting on
the handset could be user-defined if need be...unfortunately every
person I know uses Verizon, so I had to be "in"...) Verizon should take
lessons from them but I think their mindset is hardcore American
proprietary-everything to the death, just like the Qualcomm technology
their network's based on. Anyway that was a bit off-topic as far as
individual mot handsets go...hmm...

Skuzz

!