Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New iMac Gets Respectable Repairability Score

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
May 6, 2011 4:07:33 AM

*sigh* Apple and their "logic" boards.. It's a MOTHERboard for Petes sake..
The "logic" happens in the CPU..

I thought the RAM was a straight forward removal of the panel on the underside of the screen type job. I guess needing a torx screwdriver puts even this in the too hard basket for some...
Score
May 6, 2011 4:52:35 AM

"Logic boards"- that made me laugh for sure.
Score
Related resources
May 6, 2011 4:59:28 AM

How good is the ips panel? How does it compare to the dell u2311h?
Score
May 6, 2011 5:11:20 AM

Yes, anything that requires a home user buy specialized suction cups to take apart is highly repairable...
Score
May 6, 2011 5:26:23 AM

i have to say im surprised. those specs at that price for a mac device... i would've guessed at least 1500. ive heard logic boards are the next big thing...
Score
May 6, 2011 6:17:01 AM

Ugh i don't want to see the inside of an Imac ever again. Repaired too many of these and they are not fun in any way.
Score
May 6, 2011 7:17:38 AM

johnsmithhatesVLCHow good is the ips panel? How does it compare to the dell u2311h?

Both panels are made by LG. When you buy a monitor, the LCD panel is not manufactured by Dell, Apple, Asus, Viewsonic but by a another firm since it is a costly process that requires large factories.

On this site they review different technologies and have a large database listing every panel in each monitor.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm
Score
May 6, 2011 8:32:02 AM

tipooYes, anything that requires a home user buy specialized suction cups to take apart is highly repairable...

Guess with that regard and high rating, any Win PC have a rating of 10 across the board!
Score
May 6, 2011 9:29:44 AM

stop the hate!!!
Score
May 6, 2011 10:29:22 AM

depending on how good that monitor is, its almost like you are getting a decent computer along with an amassing monitor. if only it wasnt a mac, i would praise this, but because its mac, its shooting itself in the foot, as people only use a mac for dicking around, not doing real work.
Score
May 6, 2011 12:09:51 PM

Having a torx driver isn't a big deal anymore. Now suction cups (and knowing how to correctly use them), well that's another story.

The thing I don't like is that Apple equips this iMac with a wonderful 1080p screen, yet only has a gpu with 512 meg of video ram. Come on now Apple, 1 gig of vram has become the defacto baseline anymore. Oh that's right Jobs doesn't like gaming.
Score
Anonymous
May 6, 2011 1:25:31 PM

I never liked "all in ones" You can't do hardware upgrades, many times they have mobile chipsets in them for less heat. When you want new you have to buy another "all in one" or a monitor if you go back to a conventional desktop setup. If your monitor breaks you lose your computer, if your computer breaks you lose your monitor.
Its just not a good setup unless you really don't like a box sitting around. In that case you might as well get a laptop. Its cheaper!
Score
May 6, 2011 1:35:54 PM

I always thought iMacs used mobile specs for everything. I guess now it's only the GPUs?
Score
May 6, 2011 2:44:41 PM

alidandepending on how good that monitor is, its almost like you are getting a decent computer along with an amassing monitor. if only it wasnt a mac, i would praise this, but because its mac, its shooting itself in the foot, as people only use a mac for dicking around, not doing real work.

Your highly questionable opinion, is worthless.

Also, the suction cups thing is odd.. Not many people would have those already, but as it is.. Since Apple doesn't intend for its users to repair their suff DIY-style, it's not too unusual. I'm guessing the higher score is more lined with how easy it is to repair with all the right tools, instead of how easy it is with, and only with, a standard set of tools. And in that case.. The score makes some sense.
Score
May 6, 2011 2:59:38 PM

Are these magical suction cups? I have a bunch around the house already -- and got them at a dollar store.

From the pic it looks like they are using the suction cups to lift off the display-- is there any reason you couldn't flip it over on a padded surface and just lift away the case??
Score
May 6, 2011 3:07:17 PM

Why would u need to fix it, arent apple fanboys required to buy a new one every year or face the wrath of being "uncool"
Score
May 6, 2011 4:20:46 PM

$1.200 is not bad for Apple, is this surely the right price? :p 
Score
May 6, 2011 4:31:35 PM

alidan...people only use a mac for dicking around, not doing real work.

This is a pretty lame and baseless comment. Do you have any idea how many in the movie industry are using Mac's, not to mention the audio industry? Then there is the graphic arts industry (Photoshop was designed for the Mac initially) that seems to gravitate to Mac, and AutoCAD is now ported to the Mac and most likely many will be moving over to iMac's to do this type of work if not for the small footprint. With it's UNIX kernel you also see more of them creeping into science, medicine, etc. Apple provide a decent SDK for developers (free,) and so OS X has as much room for application growth as does the PC. Now that Apple is gaining more market share, then we will most likely see more applications being implemented. The greatest selling point of OS X, is it's robustness and ease of use. The typical consumer does not want to fight an OS like Window's, and corporations loose money when they must spend time implementing simple tasks on Windows versus OS X. History will be the judge.
Score
May 6, 2011 5:10:33 PM

Yoder, you may have needed a mac to do all those things back in the early 90's but now, we have all those tools for free on the wintel platform... mac's are dead, thats why apple builds phones and music gadgets now....
Score
Anonymous
May 6, 2011 5:14:46 PM

Yoder54: Yeah, Macs were all the rage in the Audio and Video industries back in the late 90s, but somewhere around the end of the G5 era, there was a mass exodus away from Mac. They no longer have the same renown that they used to, mostly because people figured out the platform as a whole sucks, the application is used the same way in either OS, and that OSX has worse performance per price and per hardware spec.
Score
May 6, 2011 5:16:11 PM

"an Intel BD82Z68 Platform Controller Hub"

Is this the same Z68 that we on the PC side have been waiting months for?
Score
May 6, 2011 5:17:49 PM

Yoder54The greatest selling point of OS X, is it's robustness and ease of use. The typical consumer does not want to fight an OS like Window's, and corporations loose money when they must spend time implementing simple tasks on Windows versus OS X. History will be the judge.

Windows is just as user friendly as os X if your use to using it. And if companies spent as much on a windows computer as they do with a mac and got none cheap crap parts they wouldn't have to do much fighting with anything :) 

If history is any judge apple will eventually shoot its self in the foot and fall into near bankruptcy and become a nitch product..... again. Since Apple went away from risc cpu's other then opinions about its OS i find no real compelling reasons they are any better then a regular old windows PC anymore. I mean other then someones opinions about the OS :)  I couldn't stand mac for the decades i was forced to use them and i still cant.
Score
May 6, 2011 5:47:33 PM

audioee"an Intel BD82Z68 Platform Controller Hub" Is this the same Z68 that we on the PC side have been waiting months for?

Yupp its the Z68, (for you who don't know its pretty much a P68 but with added cpu gfx support and ssd caching for hdd's).

I rather wait for the real performance LGA-2011 chipset/cpu's (qpi, quad memory channels and 2x16 pci-e 3.0 for gfx not the 2x8 like p68/z68)
Score
May 6, 2011 5:56:11 PM

One fact is that Apple supposedly died many times over the last decade and is now bigger than Ms, now also #34 in the Fortune list for what ever it means, and selling more macs every year, beside selling more gadgets than ever. Facts and no my opinion.

With this facts still being true I personally don't like iMacs for not being as easy to upgrade as the OS philosophy is easy to interact with. Apple is very capable to produce an upgradable PC/MAC hardware. But it looks like Apple don't want to deal with those kind of users on a commercial product. Mac Pros are workstations, a more reliable PC, for Pro users.

The 27 panel iMac with a 2600K is a decent all in one, the only one I would consider for myself for "high end" use. But as someone pointed if the IPS monitor fails or an important part you lose all the functionality while the machine is on service. I don't like that either.

But the news is about the iMacs getting easier to upgrade or repair by a more adventurous user.
Score
May 6, 2011 5:57:45 PM

Yoder54This is a pretty lame and baseless comment. Do you have any idea how many in the movie industry are using Mac's, not to mention the audio industry? Then there is the graphic arts industry (Photoshop was designed for the Mac initially) that seems to gravitate to Mac, and AutoCAD is now ported to the Mac and most likely many will be moving over to iMac's to do this type of work if not for the small footprint. With it's UNIX kernel you also see more of them creeping into science, medicine, etc. Apple provide a decent SDK for developers (free,) and so OS X has as much room for application growth as does the PC. Now that Apple is gaining more market share, then we will most likely see more applications being implemented. The greatest selling point of OS X, is it's robustness and ease of use. The typical consumer does not want to fight an OS like Window's, and corporations loose money when they must spend time implementing simple tasks on Windows versus OS X. History will be the judge.

What company today would buy the same hardware for more money only to have it emulate the Windows platform in the end? They get a real workstation directly instead that both are cheaper, perform better and have the widest array of software available.

Only reason i see that mac os managed to get installed in one computer of twenty worldwide is because they made the ipod that save their poorly running business, i guess history have a way of repeating itself - Only time will tell!
Score
May 6, 2011 6:50:01 PM

Quote:
What company today would buy the same hardware for more money only to have it emulate the Windows platform in the end? They get a real workstation directly instead that both are cheaper, perform better and have the widest array of software available.

Only reason i see that mac os managed to get installed in one computer of twenty worldwide is because they made the ipod that save their poorly running business, i guess history have a way of repeating itself - Only time will tell!

iMacs are designed for consumers and not for business relying on heavy professional use. They can run Windows too, IF the user wants or needs or preferds both systems on one machine. But iMacs are not Pro grade hardware in almost any sense. But you can do some professional job on an iMac as on many modern PCs.

Another false argument is that Pro workstations are cheaper. You are confused. A workstation is a Xeon class machine like Mac Pros, BoXX, high end Dells or HPs, and those many times dual socket Macs or PCs are way pricier even if you build one yourself and values your time as "0$". Being Dell, HP or BoXX are on another league never intended to run only desktop software on games.

iMacs appear in some productions for companies only if they can handle certain editing, design or desktop task. But using an iMac for high en editing as an only option is on the extreme of their capability and more a user choice.

So you my friend don't try to teach others lessons when you don't know what you are talking about.

The "story repeating itself" here is some people forcing the world to fit themselves.
Score
May 6, 2011 7:01:19 PM

rantocWhat company today would buy the same hardware for more money only to have it emulate the Windows platform in the end? They get a real workstation directly instead that both are cheaper, perform better and have the widest array of software available.Only reason i see that mac os managed to get installed in one computer of twenty worldwide is because they made the ipod that save their poorly running business, i guess history have a way of repeating itself - Only time will tell!

You are also forgetting the UNIX kernel. Ever since the release of OS X. many have switched to Mac because it is actual unix with real support. That is, major programs such as Adobe suits, Microsoft Office, and editing tools run on it without sacrificing the UNIX. As a developer, I require a UNIX system, especially for C, and emulating UNIX on a windows computer is a no go and using Linux is nice but I do not get all the name brand applications. So what if there is an open-source version of each application, they do not always open the files the same way.
Score
May 6, 2011 7:23:05 PM

"As a developer, I require a UNIX system, especially for C, and emulating UNIX on a windows computer is a no go and using Linux is nice"

What about Cygwin? You can have your unix-like interface while still running any windows application and do them side-by-side...

Score
May 6, 2011 9:05:24 PM

I'm an apple tech. I work on these all the time. You don't need the suction cups. You can just stick your fingernail under it and lift. It comes right off. Repairs/upgrades are pretty easy. I do hard drives in about 20min.
Score
May 6, 2011 10:24:23 PM

presto311I'm an apple tech. I work on these all the time. You don't need the suction cups. You can just stick your fingernail under it and lift. It comes right off. Repairs/upgrades are pretty easy. I do hard drives in about 20min.

Lol, 20 minutes to upgrade the HDD?
Score
May 6, 2011 10:41:30 PM

Core i5-2800S ???? wtf is that? crazy that I've never heard of it before.

do they mean the Intel® Core™ i5-2400S Processor
(6M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
Score
May 6, 2011 10:51:11 PM

Yoder54This is a pretty lame and baseless comment. Do you have any idea how many in the movie industry are using Mac's, not to mention the audio industry? Then there is the graphic arts industry (Photoshop was designed for the Mac initially) that seems to gravitate to Mac, and AutoCAD is now ported to the Mac and most likely many will be moving over to iMac's to do this type of work if not for the small footprint. With it's UNIX kernel you also see more of them creeping into science, medicine, etc. Apple provide a decent SDK for developers (free,) and so OS X has as much room for application growth as does the PC. Now that Apple is gaining more market share, then we will most likely see more applications being implemented. The greatest selling point of OS X, is it's robustness and ease of use. The typical consumer does not want to fight an OS like Window's, and corporations loose money when they must spend time implementing simple tasks on Windows versus OS X. History will be the judge.

I use a mac for work and I am a security engineer. Go to Defcon and you will see Mac's all over the place. His comment is completely worthless but that is ok. There are a thousands of others just like him on this site.
Score
May 7, 2011 1:07:06 AM

rosen380"As a developer, I require a UNIX system, especially for C, and emulating UNIX on a windows computer is a no go and using Linux is nice"What about Cygwin? You can have your unix-like interface while still running any windows application and do them side-by-side...

Cygwin is great, but it's more of a tool for people who fiddle with Unix. If I sit more in a bash terminal and emacs than I do in the actual OS, it makes me question why I am working around Windows and not just using a real Unix operating system. Frankly, I rather be in Mint Linux or CentOs than Windows, but then I give up Microsoft applications... yes you can wine... but you are shooting yourself in the foot. If you are a home hobbyists, have fun wine-ing and cygwin-ing but not if your day to day activities require it.
Score
May 7, 2011 1:09:03 AM

ap3xI use a mac for work and I am a security engineer. Go to Defcon and you will see Mac's all over the place. His comment is completely worthless but that is ok. There are a thousands of others just like him on this site.

I love you. I'm tired of people who think they are awesome because they think they know computers. Bring out Metasploit and all its wonderful tools and show them that they don't know stuff :) 
Score
May 7, 2011 2:05:25 AM

Quote:

Yah, I do it all the time. Once the glass is off, there's just 8 screws to take off the LCD, then the hard drive is right there.
Score
Anonymous
May 7, 2011 5:52:55 AM

I kept tomshardvare in my RSS reader just in case I need a laugh when there is an article about Apple or their products and this one is no different. :-) Apple can do no good for most of the people on this site other than bankruptcy and just hold your breath until that happens :-)
Just a question: how many % of all users are doing DIY repairs/upgrades on their PC? If someone can do it they will be able to do it on the iMac too so I see no difference. And no, I don't have an iMac but it's nice to have a choice other than MS.
Score
May 7, 2011 9:34:06 AM

Yoder54With it's UNIX kernel you also see more of them creeping into science, medicine, etc.

We had 11 years but doesn't look like its happening anytime soon, eh?

Apple machines, as usual; only for people that do no serious work.
Score
May 7, 2011 11:56:18 AM

eddieroolzApple machines, as usual; only for people that do no serious work.

Is that why I see more MacBooks at the informatics faculty than at the economics and management faculty at my university? (I guess studying business administration for too long turns you into a bean counting cheapskate :)  )
I think the only Macs I've seen in the hands of teaching staff outside of the informatics faculty are my marketing prof (who's partially an engineer by training) and a lecturer for cognitive psychology and cognitive ergonomics. (most likely because he understands all the usability engineering that went into Apple products)

Apple might advertise their computers as machines for idiots, but that's just because idiots can be easily influenced by advertising. The people who do real work with Macs buy them anyway.

(Not saying economics and management isn't serious work...)
Score
May 9, 2011 12:39:51 AM

It is still expensive, but maybe upgrading it is easier than previous models.
Score
Anonymous
May 9, 2011 12:40:10 AM

killerclick:

haha was just about to say the same... im a trainee and it doesnt take me that long.
and yeh you dont need these "magical suction cups", just use ur fingers.
Score
May 9, 2011 1:09:10 AM

But still good score.
Score
May 9, 2011 1:25:19 AM

I have repaired many imacs before and have hated every single one of them

First, I have to turn on the box fan with high quality filter taped to the back on, then I have to get the system ready by getting a vacuum cleaner W hose and sucking out as much dust as possible. I then have too clean the entire thing with 90% alcohol. then I have to wait for an hour to make sure that the air is properly clean, then I can begin to take it apart, all so visible dust doesn't make it in between the stupid faceplate and the LCD

Score
May 9, 2011 1:59:21 AM

molo9000Is that why I see more MacBooks at the informatics faculty than at the economics and management faculty at my university? (I guess studying business administration for too long turns you into a bean counting cheapskate )I think the only Macs I've seen in the hands of teaching staff outside of the informatics faculty are my marketing prof (who's partially an engineer by training) and a lecturer for cognitive psychology and cognitive ergonomics. (most likely because he understands all the usability engineering that went into Apple products)Apple might advertise their computers as machines for idiots, but that's just because idiots can be easily influenced by advertising. The people who do real work with Macs buy them anyway.(Not saying economics and management isn't serious work...)

while pc's and macs can do the same thing, macs are more popular at some businesses, because they are harder to mess up (software wise)
I have worked IT in companies where you have people with really high level degrees in graphic design, web developers and many other fields, and they still manage to get their computers infected.

Just because someone has a masters degree or a phd, doesn't mean they know how to keep their systems clean.

While this is currently changing, but currently it is harder to mess up a mac. (less software issues = more productivity)
Score
May 11, 2011 5:17:20 AM

At first, I thought maybe Apple was getting access to unreleased CPU's as well, with a "Core i5-2800S" ...

Jane.. its a Core i5-2400S ..
Score
May 31, 2011 8:55:22 PM

i5-2800S??
Score
!