Sign in with
Your question

Fallout New Vegas FPS and screen issues w/ ATI 6850

Last response: in Video Games
February 21, 2013 9:56:49 AM

I'm having some real problems playing Fallout: New Vegas on my computer right now. I bought the game a year ago and played it with absolutely no problems for about 20 hours on Ultra settings, everything maxed out, and getting no less than 55 fps and most of the time, 60 fps. I then put the game down and haven't touched it until now. I started playing again, except I put the settings on Medium, and now average about 30 fps, with it dropping down to 15 fps every so often. The screen would also mess up (Example: cut the screen in half, put the left side on the right, right side on the left) and I would have to restart my computer to fix it (it affected the desktop, too). I've tried fake fullscreen, fallout 4gb, and even reinstalling the video drivers. I managed to fix the screen messing up by playing in 1280x720 resolution instead of 1920x1080, but the frame rate problems are still there, and I would like to use the full resolution of my monitor. I have literally spent 2 weeks going through the internet trying to find someone who is having the same problems as me, and have found nothing. This is the only game that this happens in. I can play Battlefield 3 on High settings and get 40-50fps consistently, so I don't know what is going on.

Hardware specs: (Specs were the same as when I first started playing it)
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
ATI XFX 6850
16gb G SKILL Ripjaws RAM
Seagate Barracuda 1TB hard drive (F:NV is installed on this)
Hitachi 2TB hard drive (video drive)
Cooler Master 600w PSU
February 23, 2013 3:26:24 AM

With the amount of bugs New Vegas has, I can't be the only one with this problem.
m
l
July 18, 2013 4:13:48 PM

ToastedBaby said:
With the amount of bugs New Vegas has, I can't be the only one with this problem.
Hey. I'm having the same issue with my XFX 6850. I played the game around a year ago, also, with a solid 60fps on ultra @ 1080p. I just installed the game again today and in the opening part of the game (with the doc) I'm getting 20-30 fps! Tried it on low and it's the same, lol... I noticed also, that the game auto sets me on low for some reason. There is obviously some kind of driver or compatibility issue going on. I tried reinstalling the latest driver and also the beta ones... no difference. I also have Skyrim installed and I'm getting 50-60 fps on ultra, so it's not a hardware issue. My only guess is that AMD did something in a driver update since we last played that is screwing it up. I'm switching to NVIDIA when I upgrade. Seems like I have to reinstall AMD drivers every couple of weeks because of instability, frame rate issues, blue screens...
m
l
!