sqlmangr.exe attempts to access 255.255.255.255 (ZoneAlarm..

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
June 23, 2004 12:47:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.sqlserver.security (More info?)

I've got SQL Server 2000 installed on my PC but with the services configured
as manual so the server doesn't automatically start up on power up.

But I do have sqlmangr.exe (SQL Service Manager) in startup. Zone Alarm Pro
traps an access to 255.255.255.255 (which it's classing as the Internet).
Anyone know what the server manager is attempting to do here? What is
255.255.255.255 used for as it's a special IP address.

Thanks, Rob.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 23, 2004 8:35:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.sqlserver.security (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:47:56 +0100, "Rob Nicholson"
<rob.nicholson@unforgettabledelete.com> wrote:

>I've got SQL Server 2000 installed on my PC but with the services configured
>as manual so the server doesn't automatically start up on power up.
>
>But I do have sqlmangr.exe (SQL Service Manager) in startup. Zone Alarm Pro
>traps an access to 255.255.255.255 (which it's classing as the Internet).
>Anyone know what the server manager is attempting to do here? What is
>255.255.255.255 used for as it's a special IP address.

That is a broadcast address in the local network. The SQL Service
Manager is probably trying to announce itself in your local network in
hopes of finding something. I have no clue what that something might
be.
!