Low FPS all of the sudden...

davion100

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Hello, I am having a weird problem. Most of the games that I play right now run with lower framerate than usual, but the framerate decereases only when I look at very big places or very far away. If I am in a place with a lot of stuff my framerate is still fine, but not when I look very far away. For example the port in AC3 where my ship is, now runs horribly and it didn't before or in TF2 where I go to a place that reveals a big portion of the map, the FPS goes down and there is stuttering. I tried scanning for viruses with MalwareBytes and Avast - nothing. Temps are also good. The first time I noticed this I was playing Dead Space 3. I realized that the framerate was lower than the day before that when it ran very smooth. After that I notice these weird FPS drops on almost every game I play. Do you guys have any idea what in the world is happening ?
(Sorry for my English)
System specs:
Intel Core i5 480M
Ati Radeon HD 5650M
RAM: 4 GB
HDD: 640 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

wrathofdragon

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
did you change anything or update anything recently?
check your anisotropic filtering settings in the catalyst control settings. (right mouse click on desktop/catalyst control center/gaming/image quality/anisotropic filtering)
if you have it set at at a large per pixel samlples (more than 8X) your performance will decrease when looking at distant places.

ps: also check anti-aliasing settings

davion100

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I remember that I updated my drivers with the 13.2 beta so maybe that is the problem. I will install the previous drivers and I will report back... tomorrow. Too tired now :)

DragonClaw

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
May be some app you installed? Try out any Game booster, as it will help in improving FPS. Also, de-fragment your drives.
And, if you changed any setting in ATI Control Panel, change them back to Application Controlled.
:)

davion100

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

There are no more sliders here with the new look and when I click there is only an option for the level...
6bMiGI1.jpg

davion100

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Yup :( Cleaning my registry with CCleaner and defraged my HDD yesterday...

davion100

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
And another thing I noticed in Assassin's Creed 3. In cinematics the game runs perfectly and they are not pre-rendered. So I went to the same spot after the cinematic and it started stutter like crazy... Uum ? :D

wrathofdragon

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
old thread .... but i may as well coment on it.

You most likely have some background progarm running that is interfering with the games. (ctrl+shift+esc)/(processes)/(all users)/(sort by memory) and look within the top 15 for your culprit...

(I know this is old)