Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Next Gen Console or New Gaming PC

Last response: in Video Games
February 21, 2013 6:58:59 PM

I saved enough money to buy a next gen console or build a new PC. The reason why I want to get a new PC is that its much more powerful and faster than the next gen consoles but I don't know much about the PC like how to change the graphics card, how to add RAM, etc. But if I buy a console I don't have to worry about the system requirements, changing my gpu every few years, etc. So what would you recommend me to do? I want high performance gaming with simplicity

Here are the specs for the PC that I might buy

Intel Core i7-3770K
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2133
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
1 TB HARD DRIVE w/ 180 GB Intel 330 SSD

More about : gen console gaming

February 21, 2013 8:05:09 PM

That will out perform the next gen consoles which you cannot get for around 10 months anyway.
m
l
February 21, 2013 8:23:05 PM

budget would help
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2013 12:15:39 AM

The specs you listed already outperform the PS4 (announced yesterday). The PS4 is using an AMD APU with integrated graphics totallying 2 teraflops of graphics processing. Keep in mind it won't be coming out for another 9 or 10 months. That GTX 670 performs 2.5 Teraflops, has a larger and faster memory buffer, and you can upgrade it in 3 years if you want to. On the CPU side, the PS4's APU can't even hold a candle to a 3770K, especially when overclocked. I would go with a PC, because even if you want that "controller in your hand" feeling, you can just hook up a controller, plug it into your TV, and use Steam Big Picture Mode. Plus you can upgrade it, and with the Steam sales in the summer and winter, you can get uber cheap games. (I got Assassin's Creed 2, Mass effect 1 and 2, and Deus Ex Human Revolution for $5 each during the last sale) On top of all this stuff, the PC modding community extends the life and playability of your games tenfold FOR FREE. Just look at some of the total overhaul mods out there for Skyrim. It's like getting an entire new game without paying anything. And the best part about PC gaming, no 12-year-old potty-mouthed children who've had sex with your mom a million times, because their parent's buy them consoles, not PCs. PC MASTER RACE FTW!!!! (just kidding, but seriously, do it)
m
l
February 22, 2013 7:33:25 AM

Dont forget also that does not mean you have to upgrade every 2 years.People still play battlefield 3 ,far cry 3 and many others on 5-6 years old cpu and gpu like 8800gtx.Once you get to know pc hardware you can see that 5-6 years old pc play games even better then consoles.And you can choose when you want to upgrade.Plus having a mouse and keyboard i would be rather playing in 800x600 res on very low then playing on console controller.
m
l
February 22, 2013 7:50:40 AM

You are all in denial, you cant compare pc hardware against console hardware, console hardware is designed just to play games and so plays much quicker on less powerfull hardware. I had a top of the line PC when the the xbox360 came out and in theory the raw power of my pc was double that of a 360, in reality the 360 ran twice as quick. I expect the same with the new consoles, besides its the games that count do ultra high end pcs actually make the game better?
m
l
February 22, 2013 8:21:13 AM

Dysfunction@HH said:
You are all in denial, you cant compare pc hardware against console hardware, console hardware is designed just to play games and so plays much quicker on less powerfull hardware. I had a top of the line PC when the the xbox360 came out and in theory the raw power of my pc was double that of a 360, in reality the 360 ran twice as quick. I expect the same with the new consoles, besides its the games that count do ultra high end pcs actually make the game better?

You can compare to some point.Just because consoles are more optimized this doesn't mean they are magic boxes that can turn gpu much more it can.Like what are they doing with crysis 3,its optimized because it runs very low in sub hd res and its still tailored and coded to fit consoles.Xbox 360 was in par with high gaming pc when it came out.But new gen will not be.It is just to expensive and power hungry to give it again 200w and risking problems with RROD.If they wanted they could go for 3.5ghz intel quad core which is more powerful then 1.6ghz 8core jaguar which is similiar to intel atom mobile devices.
But still next gen lunch titles will be in par with graphics of crysis 3 on pc.Graphics will be nice for 1 year but after that we could see bigger difference between pc and consoles.Like crysis 1 did 1 year after consoles releases.You just cant compare stuff like mass production consoles vs pc.But still consoles are great cheaper solution.
Well for me and 90% others graphics count,if it not count then everybody would be still developing games with graphics like san andreas with 100x bigger maps.
m
l
February 22, 2013 9:06:46 AM

i find with console to PC, it all depends on hardware cost and performance, when the 360 and PS3 came out, they had some impressive graphics especially for their exclusives when comparing to what was out on PC, and at the time to get a PC to play a game that was as graphically pleasing as the console you were going to pay much more for the PC than the consoles, well at least the 360 anyway :p .

so if the PS4 does come out to be around $400-$500 that is a nice price point for something that can do what it can. compare the tech and live demo's that they showed off to games currently on PC and what graphical power you need to run them on the PC at HD res. you can't tell me that currently at that price point a PC will outperform a comparable game on the PS4 and reach the same FPS at the same resolution (as long as the games are both coded properly for both platforms)

its all in the coding and production of the games to utilize the hardware, where PC hardware not only depends on the coding of the game but also on the drivers optimization for your hardware, where as consoles are all proprietary to the same hardware so there is no need to optimize for many different pieces of hardware.

so, you can compare to some extent but its never going to be a fair comparison.
m
l
February 22, 2013 9:24:36 AM

Sure.Its different like comparing oranges and apples.PC is multitasking machine on which you can do almost everything possible not a- only-gaming-machine.This is why it have to cost more then just a gaming machine like console.

For a gaming purpose i personally like PC more,after 1-2 year there will be much of differences between consoles and pc-s and i still like keep the option of upgrading parts on my pc when time comes.Also mouse for gaming.On console i just cant play anything,i wish i can,i tried but im so unaccurate.I have a hard time passing a fps shotter on very easy just aiming at things is so hard,no to mention online lol,but on the other hand i can shot almost 5 things at once on mouse.When i play on pc im 'pissed' cause somebody is better but on console im 'pissed' cause i cant aim lol.its like running 100m with broken legs.And most of games that i play are fps shooters..Consoles would be great cheap solution with nice social features but i cant just becuse of stupid controlles :fou: 
m
l
February 22, 2013 9:26:58 AM

da3ndorphin3 said:
Sure.Its different like comparing oranges and apples.PC is multitasking machine on which you can do almost everything possible not a- only-gaming-machine.This is why it have to cost more then just a gaming machine like console.

For a gaming purpose i personally like PC more,after 1-2 year there will be much of differences between consoles and pc-s and i still like keep the option of upgrading parts on my pc when time comes.Also mouse for gaming.On console i just cant play anything,i wish i can,i tried but im so unaccurate.I have a hard time passing a fps shotter on very easy just aiming at things is so hard,no to mention online lol,but on the other hand i can shot almost 5 things at once on mouse.When i play on pc im 'pissed' cause somebody is better but on console im 'pissed' cause i cant aim lol.its like running 100m with broken legs

Totally agree
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:03:16 PM

I'd choose PC. It has more possibilities, and it'll for years. And new console is not as practical as computer.
m
l
February 24, 2013 10:34:35 PM

What are the specs for your old PC? It might be that they are still within current demands and you'd only need to replace the PSU or add more ram or something., then you could get that PS3 and have both gaming platforms.
m
l
February 28, 2013 10:59:08 AM

this is an age old debate, just like Mac or Windows, however everytime it comes up I do give my input..

console is just made for games, so it does well for most of the games upto a limit, beyond it it can not go, as u can not upgrade it. so even if a new game is running slow on your year old console, you notice it but there is hardly anything u can do about it apart from throwing it off and get a new one.

pc is for games and lot more, a poorly combined pc will do no good to a heavy game, but if u know ur stuff, (which is no longer a rocket science), you are good to go for almost every game, and for years as u can keep on upgrading it virtually forever.

Another factor is , every game does not come for all consoles, xpbox or PS, but do end up coming for PC almost.

lastly, console games are always more expensive than PC games.

so ,do your calibration on your 1. your budget, 2. Your knowledge and time u are ready to spend. 3. Future enhancement , as to which one of the three is more important than the other two and make ur choice.
m
l
February 28, 2013 1:43:44 PM

games evolution and grfx will require more powerful gpu not cpu and and ram , i can give u proof .....many current games can run fine with core 2 dou cpu and 2 gb ram but it need high end gpu , same will be in the next gen games , so u dont need high end 17 cpu and 16 gb ram and forget about gpu .
m
l
February 28, 2013 2:13:55 PM

Apart from the facts stated above, there is one that always seems to me is the most powerfull aspect of the PC games: Mods.
Mods, texture packs, graphics overhauls, additional items, quests... well the list is very long.
This makes a game "rise from the grave" very easy, and can create huge worlds...

Consoles cant.

Edit: For instance, i have not bought skyrim yet (i tested it for around 2 hours), since i want the game devs to stop making expansions, buy the full game, install the latest mods (probably in big auto-install packs by then), and enjoy the game at its maximum potential.

The negative part of a PC is that it requires more babysitting, as its a more open environment.
m
l
February 28, 2013 5:01:36 PM

Strategy, RPG, and FPS are far better on the PC. Even if you prefer a controller, pretty much all games now come with both mouse and controller support for games like Batman, Just Cause 2, Dark Souls and so on. Graphically fidelity will always be stronger on the PC and you have the ability to upgrade parts in 3 years or so that will just destroy anything the consoles will be doing.

The more costly PC build will be evened out over time if you are smart and buy games during the big sales. You will grow your gaming library to three or four times the size than you could on a console for the same amount of money.

Having said that. If you have friends that are going to be getting consoles and you like multiplayer, you may consider going that route.
m
l
March 2, 2013 5:14:13 AM

Oh dudes... It is O.K. that this is a PC forum but man give it a break!

Now ask yourself. What you want? Why you want it? How you want it to be?
You want to build a damn PC or you want to buy a damn console?
You will play on a 1080p TV or you prefer higher resolutions and multi monitors?

I would rather buy a PS4 rather than spending my money on a custom gaming PC at this specific time. Why? Because a PS4 will give a hell of performance for about 2 or 3 years (Who knows). By the time PS4 reaches it's performance pike, a current gen graphics card won't do a damn thing and there will be new, better and cheaper GPUs and processors with updated and upgraded architectures. :pt1cable: 
PC-wise this is the worst time to "upgrade" (or build) since nothing gets dramatically better after a couple years a new gen arrives, when the industry set new "standards".

On paper a PC smokes PS4's hardware. But asuming you will have a better time playing on a PC because "PCs specz r highr thn everythng on tha mrkt nd graphicz r bettr" is just plain STUPID. :pfff: 
It all depends of you and your expectations, the games you like and how you like to play them.

People on this forum often say that consoles are obsolete since the moment they are announced, but tell me how many dudes you know that can play decently FarCry3, Crysis 3 or Skyrim with a PC built on 2005 (and never upgraded) with a budget of $299 or $599?

I came to this forum to ask assistance about a gaming PC I wanted to build, but at this time I don't think I will gonna build it, at least not for gaming... If you want to keep things simple and you can get past of the problems consoles have go for a PS4, if your priority is playing games at ULTRA settings no matter what then go for a PC.

You know? I rather buy a PS4 and wait a couple years till PC hardware gets even better. So I'll stick with my 1080pTV, my console and my sofa for now. :hello: 
m
l
March 4, 2013 4:10:04 AM

Derick135 said:
I saved enough money to buy a next gen console or build a new PC. The reason why I want to get a new PC is that its much more powerful and faster than the next gen consoles but I don't know much about the PC like how to change the graphics card, how to add RAM, etc. But if I buy a console I don't have to worry about the system requirements, changing my gpu every few years, etc. So what would you recommend me to do? I want high performance gaming with simplicity

Intel Core i7-3770K

To be honest comparing power between the 2 systems is silly. I would base not on whihc performs better, but which one youll use more. Do you do a ton of gaming? if not maybe a pc would be best. if you do maybe upgrade your current pc a little and buy the console.

Im saving for the new xbox if it looks good, and have slowly been upgrading components of my pc as i go. Im a heavy gamer. Most of my gaming is on console and thats why ive made the decision to purchase a new one when it comes out (barring it doesnt look like a worthwhile investment). I do like to game on pc especially league of legends. I dont need a super computer for that, so i can get away with slow upgades in different areas of the pc.

I think you need to evaluate what you enjoy most, and develop a plan around that. Good luck bud =)
m
l
March 4, 2013 5:27:37 AM

ARCADDER said:
Oh dudes... It is O.K. that this is a PC forum but man give it a break!

Now ask yourself. What you want? Why you want it? How you want it to be?
You want to build a damn PC or you want to buy a damn console?
You will play on a 1080p TV or you prefer higher resolutions and multi monitors?

I would rather buy a PS4 rather than spending my money on a custom gaming PC at this specific time. Why? Because a PS4 will give a hell of performance for about 2 or 3 years (Who knows). By the time PS4 reaches it's performance pike, a current gen graphics card won't do a damn thing and there will be new, better and cheaper GPUs and processors with updated and upgraded architectures. :pt1cable: 
PC-wise this is the worst time to "upgrade" (or build) since nothing gets dramatically better after a couple years a new gen arrives, when the industry set new "standards".

On paper a PC smokes PS4's hardware. But asuming you will have a better time playing on a PC because "PCs specz r highr thn everythng on tha mrkt nd graphicz r bettr" is just plain STUPID. :pfff: 
It all depends of you and your expectations, the games you like and how you like to play them.

People on this forum often say that consoles are obsolete since the moment they are announced, but tell me how many dudes you know that can play decently FarCry3, Crysis 3 or Skyrim with a PC built on 2005 (and never upgraded) with a budget of $299 or $599?

I came to this forum to ask assistance about a gaming PC I wanted to build, but at this time I don't think I will gonna build it, at least not for gaming... If you want to keep things simple and you can get past of the problems consoles have go for a PS4, if your priority is playing games at ULTRA settings no matter what then go for a PC.

You know? I rather buy a PS4 and wait a couple years till PC hardware gets even better. So I'll stick with my 1080pTV, my console and my sofa for now. :hello: 

One of the biggest mistakes when comparing PC's to consoles is the idea that you have to play all games maxed out on the PC for comparable graphics to a console. As long as you are willing to reduce settings, PC's stay very capable for a long time.

The biggest difference to me, is a PC has a mouse, which gives far more control, and as well as much better support for different types of games.

The console is much easier to setup, and superior for playing with friends.

PC's have better online options, though that might change in with the next gen consoles.
m
l
March 7, 2013 3:07:29 PM

If the Steam box is good i'd rather get that than a PS4....I get the 'comfy couch console' benefit but still get to play my PC games, buy cheap pc games etc.. I don't have any gaming mates to come over so i'm not losing out on the 'playing with friends' benefit of a console. Plus if the steam box is built so you can upgrade the GPU like a PC then that's a win too.
m
l
March 7, 2013 4:55:08 PM

bystander said:
One of the biggest mistakes when comparing PC's to consoles is the idea that you have to play all games maxed out on the PC for comparable graphics to a console. As long as you are willing to reduce settings, PC's stay very capable for a long time.

The biggest difference to me, is a PC has a mouse, which gives far more control, and as well as much better support for different types of games.

The console is much easier to setup, and superior for playing with friends.

PC's have better online options, though that might change in with the next gen consoles.

One of the biggest mistakes when comparing PC controls to console controls is the idea that you have to be tied with a controller or a keyboard/mouse depending on the system you use to play.

Lots of people say if you prefer controllers over Mouse/keyboard setup, there are compatible controls to use them with a PC but no one ever say that there are also peripherals like the EagleEye that allows you to connect your mouse/keyboard to a PS3/360, map the keys however you want and use them as you would when gaming on your PC.

So again... I think it's like being 7 year old again... Would you buy the cool Hot-Wheels car or would you buy the elegant Matchbox car? :B It's up to you my friend. :hello: 
m
l
March 7, 2013 5:11:41 PM

ARCADDER said:
One of the biggest mistakes when comparing PC controls to console controls is the idea that you have to be tied with a controller or a keyboard/mouse depending on the system you use to play.

Lots of people say if you prefer controllers over Mouse/keyboard setup, there are compatible controls to use them with a PC but no one ever say that there are also peripherals like the EagleEye that allows you to connect your mouse/keyboard to a PS3/360, map the keys however you want and use them as you would when gaming on your PC.

So again... I think it's like being 7 year old again... Would you buy the cool Hot-Wheels car or would you buy the elegant Matchbox car? :B It's up to you my friend. :hello: 

I've never seen EagleEye to know if it is even remotely as good a real mouse, as the games you use it with are not designed to use it. PC's also can use controllers and all. However, looking at reviews, it appears to not give the same experience, in at least a lot of games.

Even if you think their controls are equal, the console, at least today, is far less attractive to game with. You don't have to use modern PC hardware for much better visuals and smooth game play. In many PC games, even the lowest settings are better looking that consoles and you get games designed for the controls.
m
l
March 7, 2013 6:21:10 PM

Quote:
Looking at the EagleEye product and reviews, it definitely isn't as good as using it on a PC, but it is definitely going in the right direction. I personally could never use it, I require 60+ FPS to game with a mouse and the reviews were talking about less response than on a PC, which would cause vomiting for myself and some others.

But even if you think they were equal, consoles in their current state are years and years behind visually. A PC game at its lowest setting is usually better than the console. You don't have to upgrade, but that option is open for those who want wildly better visuals or smooth game play.

Did you saw Classic Game Room's review? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdcdetXToaE

Never said they were equal, but there is a balance. Of course PC looks awesome when a good amount of money was invested on it. In PC gaming and console gaming there is something I like to call "the Omnipresent ***".

It might be odd to play games with mouse/keyboard on PS3 because games weren't designed to use that setup... but the same problem appears when you use a controller on a PC, so here it makes it's presence, The Omnipresent ***. The Omnipresent *** also makes an act when people argue that "PC's are as comfortable as consoles", when people say #consoles have better exclusives" and all that similar subjective crap.

Where The Omnipresent *** doesn't like to party is when people talk about budget. :non: 
A brand new PS3 can go as cheap as $299. Playing on my PS3 can cause sores on my thumbs.
A piece of *** PC (like mine) can go as cheap as $299. Playing on my piece of *** PC cause vomiting to myself and others who dare to take a look at the screen.

If you take this in consideration, for $299 you get a PS3 with controller, cables, a game and a year of PS+ Subscription everything ready to plug on your 1080p TV and start gaming, smooth gameplay and descent visuals.
OR for $299 you can get a piece of *** laptop that will give you the pleasure to vomit at the 10-25 FPS in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on the lowest settings. :ange: 

Well it's not that bad, thanks to this $299 piece of *** PC I was forced to discover & play excellent PC titles from the 90's like "Beneath a Steel Sky" and some more recent ones like "Dreamfall: The loungest journey" (Which I totally recommend). Also my piece of *** PC lead me to save some cash to build an actual PC (which I will build once the new gen GPUs arrive) to use fluidly Adobe software and to play lots of PC games like they are meant to be played.

It is stupid to compare cheap old PC's with consoles as it is stupid to compare consoles with high end PC's as it is stupid to compare consoles with PC's. And here is the evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLkcZSp6kq0

m
l
March 7, 2013 6:36:44 PM

You sound like you have a similar issue that I do. One that EagleEye would make present on a console as well.

Low FPS causes you simulator sickness. I get this as well, though most people don't have this issue. The solution to this is either not to use a mouse, which I would never give up, or to reduce latency as much as possible, which means 60+ FPS, and even ideally 80+ FPS on a 120hz monitor.

You cannot play on a laptop, because laptops are not fast enough. Playing on a desktop PC is what you'd have to do. A desktop PC with a reasonable CPU would get much better results than your laptop.

The problem with vomiting is not present when watching or using a controller, but when using a mouse, you gain a connection to the action, that feels far more real. When the movements of the mouse has a delay before it is displayed, it causes a similar reaction that motion or sea sickness causes. That means PC/mouse driven gaming will require better hardware than average, and you'll want to stick with desktops/tower PC's.

EDIT: That video was Crysis, which the PC version came out a couple years before the Xbox version did, and the Xbox version used a new game engine not used on the original PC version. It was used in Crysis 2 on the PC. My point though, was "most" (I did say most) PC games on low look as good as consoles or better.
m
l

Best solution

March 7, 2013 6:47:47 PM

I have mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again. I do see the console as the best game to have with company/friends over, and they may be great for a low budget gamer, but mid-ranged gamers and up would have a better experience on a PC (not a laptop) when alone or online, though the online part may change soon.
March 7, 2013 7:24:48 PM

It seems everyday is a good day to learn something new, although I can assure I could make my mom and especially my sister vomit if I force them to watch 30 mins of gameplay on my piece of *** PC. Your problem seems to be something special and far more delicate as I am perfectly comfortable when gaming on my 1080p 60Hz TV @30+ FPS most PS3 games deliver. Looks like you have a good point to go away from consoles.

I totally agree with you, when you don't have the money or the will to build an ACTUAL gaming PC, better stay away and keep things simple. If you want to take your visual experience to another level, then invest cash into building a PC. Although for many people like me, visuals just don't make the experience of gaming. It's the combination of many other things, directly or not related to the actual moment you play
m
l
March 7, 2013 7:48:17 PM

That is the thing, I can play at 30 FPS on a console, just not with a mouse. The mouse is key.
m
l
March 8, 2013 10:43:07 PM

What are your friends getting? If all your friends are on PC then stay on PC. If your friends are all getting one console over the over, get what they decide on. Gaming with friends is more important than the platform.
m
l
April 4, 2013 1:50:36 PM

Dysfunction@HH said:

Actually you can. High end modern graphics cards are designed for nothing else than gaming as well. Next gen consoles will be built around PC graphics cards (basically). As all the chips come from AMD and are the same cores as the Radeon cards.
Get the PC, you get sooooooo much more value for your money.
m
l
April 13, 2013 5:05:58 PM

Derick135 said:

Intel Core i7-3770K

If you are going to get a PC dont get NVIDIAs GeForce series they are extremely overpriced, just get an AMD Radeon HD 7990. Its better than the GeForce and cheaper as well.
I have got both a gaming PC and a Gaming console. If you are going to be gaming and dont know much about PCs just get a PS4 or Xbox 720. You will also need to buy a cooler/fan, motherboard and power supply for your PC
m
l
April 13, 2013 6:06:01 PM

Viliami Tuanaki said:
Derick135 said:

Intel Core i7-3770K

If you are going to get a PC dont get NVIDIAs GeForce series they are extremely overpriced, just get an AMD Radeon HD 7990. Its better than the GeForce and cheaper as well.
I have got both a gaming PC and a Gaming console. If you are going to be gaming and dont know much about PCs just get a PS4 or Xbox 720. You will also need to buy a cooler/fan, motherboard and power supply for your PC

Given the 7990 is a dual GPU card, you are going to suffer the problems of crossfire. Crossfire may give higher FPS, but most reviewers will tell you that SLI delivers smoother performance. Now that FCAT tool is being used, we now see why: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Ratin...
I'd stay clear of crossfire until it is working better.
m
l
April 16, 2013 4:53:00 PM

Derick135 said:

Intel Core i7-3770K

Anyone who thinks the next gens are coming out for $400 are crazy. Try closer to $600 like last time unless you like waiting longer for barebones consoles.

Next thing, that everyone does not seem to realize, is that the next gen consoles will be running x86 just like our PC's. Since this is the case, drivers and hardware will run on a more comparable level. So it is not unrealistic to think of comparing PC specs with next gen console specs. All of that 'optimizing' will transfer over to the PC titles, because they are running in the exact same manner. Now if your hardware is wildly different, then sure you could see some issues- but I expect them to be a lot less now that processing is done near the same.

On to PC prices- You don't need a fully custom built PC to play games on a decent level. Point in case- when Age of Conan was coming out I had a buddy who wanted to play, but didn't have a PC to run it. So, we bought a $299 Emachines desktop, a stick of RAM for $20, and tossed a GeForce card in it for $100. And this was in a time where hardware was a little more expensive. A big misconception is that your processor needs to be top of the line to run games- not at all. My Athlon II x4 hardly hit 30% in modern games. You need a good graphics card, and 4-8 gigs of ram (depending on the game). SSD's only help with loading times so they really aren't needed either. This is not hard to come by...

Really, the biggest decision in all of this- is what you want to play. It is NOT true that most games come out for PC that were on console. I'm a racing fan guy. I have a PC. I need a PS3 and 360 to play my two favorite racing games GT5 and Forza. It will be a long time before I can emulate them on the PC.

Social aspects- Xbox or PS don't really have much over the PC here. Especially as we move forward. There are less and less split screen games being made for consoles. They are making you each own a copy of the game, have online access, and each have your own console to link up. Consoles are roping people in with this stuff for sales.

Lastly- Next gen consoles running x86 for the first time are going to be rather clunky. Developers aren't used to it- no matter what people think. A lot of devs have separate teams for both console and PC, due to the code language they are written in. So now we have full teams of devs that specialize in ARM processing languages testing their hand in x86 stuff. I think it's going to be brutal for a bit- take it from the wise wait and see what happens!!!
m
l
April 16, 2013 5:19:10 PM

The latest PC hardware will out perform consoles...The first few months it will be up to par then PC will get better again...I recomend getting a new PC if you prefer PC more then console gaming.
m
l
April 16, 2013 9:24:26 PM

I'd recommend the PC since you can begin enjoying it immediately. The PS4 won't be out for 6-8 months and there's bound to be a very limited selection of games and of course bugs. Save up for the PS4 after you buy the PC. No reason you can't have both, I know I will.
m
l
June 10, 2013 5:42:28 AM

its all about preference really i love consoles because i dont have to upgrade the components. then on the other hand im switching to pc because i can do alot more on my pc than a ps4 and xbox one. there alot more games for pc and free one as well
m
l
July 23, 2013 3:39:52 AM

Also you can not play PC exclusives or strategy games on the consoles but you can play console exclusives on PC using emulators and you will get better quality and more performance.
m
l
September 15, 2013 11:36:26 AM

ChilledGrease said:
The specs you listed already outperform the PS4 (announced yesterday). The PS4 is using an AMD APU with integrated graphics totallying 2 teraflops of graphics processing. Keep in mind it won't be coming out for another 9 or 10 months. That GTX 670 performs 2.5 Teraflops, has a larger and faster memory buffer, and you can upgrade it in 3 years if you want to. On the CPU side, the PS4's APU can't even hold a candle to a 3770K, especially when overclocked. I would go with a PC, because even if you want that "controller in your hand" feeling, you can just hook up a controller, plug it into your TV, and use Steam Big Picture Mode. Plus you can upgrade it, and with the Steam sales in the summer and winter, you can get uber cheap games. (I got Assassin's Creed 2, Mass effect 1 and 2, and Deus Ex Human Revolution for $5 each during the last sale) On top of all this stuff, the PC modding community extends the life and playability of your games tenfold FOR FREE. Just look at some of the total overhaul mods out there for Skyrim. It's like getting an entire new game without paying anything. And the best part about PC gaming, no 12-year-old potty-mouthed children who've had sex with your mom a million times, because their parent's buy them consoles, not PCs. PC MASTER RACE FTW!!!! (just kidding, but seriously, do it)

Of course people aren't considering that a new console 500 a new PC 1500 and higher. Oh and the PC has alot of overhead on components because it isn't designed to just "game"

Anyone with a brain can realize that even without considering that consoles have a much wider variety of games (on pcs you basically have rts, fps, and mmo - that's pretty much it) they are much closer in speed and prowess than people want to admit.

To be clear. I have no console, and I just finished a haswell build. Still, I will buy the next gen consoles and do the majority of my gaming there.

I'm as disappointed as anyone else about the state of PC gaming, but I'm certainly not fanboying it out or in denial.

Heck, we used to Atleast have a larger resolution disparity, now TVs even have higher resolutions than monitors. Why are the monitors still costing more? A next gen console is around 500 bucks, a single new gpu is 700 and that won't even play many current games with eye candy all the way up at the resolutions we covet.

Consoles have more and more exclusives, and less and less devs are even porting our way.

New consoles are becoming more and more pc like with media interfaces, chat, and messaging.

It's a one sided arguement and there is only one way to fix it. Some big names need to have some faith and innovate.

Unfortunately it's all about the money, and it just aint there for them. Been cited many times.

Pcs aren't going anywhere just based on the Internet and corporate necessity alone, but if you think they're the superior gaming powerhouses of old, your just flaunting denial for all to see.

Signed a disappointed mmo addict.
m
l
September 15, 2013 9:04:32 PM

klepp0906 said:
Of course people aren't considering that a new console 500 a new PC 1500 and higher. Oh and the PC has alot of overhead on components because it isn't designed to just "game"

Anyone with a brain can realize that even without considering that consoles have a much wider variety of games (on pcs you basically have rts, fps, and mmo - that's pretty much it) they are much closer in speed and prowess than people want to admit.

To be clear. I have no console, and I just finished a haswell build. Still, I will buy the next gen consoles and do the majority of my gaming there.

I'm as disappointed as anyone else about the state of PC gaming, but I'm certainly not fanboying it out or in denial.

Heck, we used to Atleast have a larger resolution disparity, now TVs even have higher resolutions than monitors. Why are the monitors still costing more? A next gen console is around 500 bucks, a single new gpu is 700 and that won't even play many current games with eye candy all the way up at the resolutions we covet.

Consoles have more and more exclusives, and less and less devs are even porting our way.

New consoles are becoming more and more pc like with media interfaces, chat, and messaging.

It's a one sided arguement and there is only one way to fix it. Some big names need to have some faith and innovate.

Unfortunately it's all about the money, and it just aint there for them. Been cited many times.

Pcs aren't going anywhere just based on the Internet and corporate necessity alone, but if you think they're the superior gaming powerhouses of old, your just flaunting denial for all to see.

Signed a disappointed mmo addict.

You can't be serious about most your rant, can you?

You say the PC has more overhead, because it is not just for gaming? Doesn't that automatically mean the PC can do more as well. Most people will have a PC regardless if they game or not. That is a pro PC point, not against it.

PC's have most the types of games Consoles have, and more, though they are still not the favorite platform, so they do suffer a bit, but it is not a matter of not having as many genres.

And just because a $700 GPU exists, doesn't mean it takes a $700 GPU to beat out a console. You only need a $200 or less GPU for that.

Now consoles do have their advantages, but much of your rant does not pick at the right ones.
m
l
November 5, 2013 11:49:40 AM

hello even though i've not been a pc gamer for long but next gen console are very outdated compared to PC because on console graphics are usually on ultra low and my pc would destroy ps4
specs
CASe: NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case High Performance Cooling with Integrated Fan Controller
CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.70 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L3 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

FAN: Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling w/ 240MM Radiator (AMD) ***XXX Overclockable*** (Asetek CPU Water Cooling (AMD))

: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+68] (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory [+216] (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)
MONITOR: NONE

MOTHERBOARD: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z AMD 990FX Chipset, CrossFire / SLI supported, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III /s, RAID, 4 PCIe x 16 & 2 PCIe x 1

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts Power Supplies (Cyberpower 850watt High Performance Gaming Power Supply [-16])

VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB 16X PCIe Video Card
VIDEO2: AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB 16X PCIe Video Card
m
l
November 6, 2013 11:12:04 AM

Dysfunction@HH said:

ughhhh.... I'm certainly not in denial. I do most of my gaming on PC, but have an xbox for multiplayer with my console friends. Game quality improvements on the PC are night and day.

Yes. High end, even mid range gaming systems are VISIBLY better.

I'd also like to point out the ignorance of console gaming in general... Most games don't run at 1080p on ps/xbox, but at 720p. My PC monitor is 1440p, a better resolution than the consoles are even aiming for in the future.
m
l
November 11, 2013 12:43:19 PM

ARCADDER said:

It seems everyday is a good day to learn something new, although I can assure I could make my mom and especially my sister vomit if I force them to watch 30 mins of gameplay on my piece of *** PC. Your problem seems to be something special and far more delicate as I am perfectly comfortable when gaming on my 1080p 60Hz TV @30+ FPS most PS3 games deliver. Looks like you have a good point to go away from consoles.

I totally agree with you, when you don't have the money or the will to build an ACTUAL gaming PC, better stay away and keep things simple. If you want to take your visual experience to another level, then invest cash into building a PC. Although for many people like me, visuals just don't make the experience of gaming. It's the combination of many other things, directly or not related to the actual moment you play

But to just assume that PC gamers play PC simply because of Graphics is bullshit. Yes some PC gamers buy high end rigs soley for graphics, and that is their choice. However, I have personally played all 3 CoD MW games both on Xbox 360 and my (as you would say Piece of *** laptop/pc) Laptop and being completely objective, the graphics were far worse on my laptop (1280x720 res, no AA or AF Mid level Texture settings on all 3) and fps was not as stable as the console version (rarely staying at 35 fps for long) and yet, there was something about the control system that (although took a bit to get used to) made me enjoy the game much more than the console counterpart. I only played the campaigns, so mouse speed etc didnt matter that much to me, but it was still a much more enjoyable experience.

Also, when I was a console gamer on the 360, I was a graphics snob. Yet due to my experience on PC I actually care less about the graphics of a game. I am more open to games that are not essentially about showing off (i.e some BF and CoD set pieces and graphics etc) and more about the core game play.

If I was you, I would do away with that assumption that all PC gamers use PC for graphic superiority, yes in a debate on Console v PC this can come up as a pro for PC, but that dosen't suggest that it is the core issue for PC gamers, in fact you will find that PC gamers tend to use the points of better controls (mouse + keyboard), the ability to implement mods (which many developers support) and the ability to customise their gaming experience to suit their needs and the fact that a PC's lifespan is much longer than that of a console and also that you can upgrade a PC without having to pay for more expensive games and subscriptions, to mention a few points. Yes if you are a casual gamer who 1) wants a quicker, less fussy experience or 2) (not to sound rude) you don't have much in the way of computer knowledge then a console is a better option. Although a new console is cheaper upfront, you will have a far cheaper experience over time with a PC as you don't have expensive subscriptions and the games are cheaper (not to mention the infamous steam summer sale).

Just be sure with your level of computer literacy, what you want from your gaming experience and also the type of games you want to play (i.e. RTS games arguably play better on pc whereas some argue other games play better on console). Don't listen to people who give an ultimatum on PC vs Console, look at the points both sides make and decide for yourself which is more able to suit your gaming wants/needs. If you want any more advice, email me (any of you) at nubetubeking500@hotmail.com (cringe if you will, I made it when I was 12/13 in the heydays of Cod 4).
m
l
November 14, 2013 6:28:00 PM

IssacBeCrazy said:
ARCADDER said:

But to just assume that PC gamers play PC simply because of Graphics is bullshit. Yes some PC gamers buy high end rigs soley for graphics, and that is their choice. However, I have personally played all 3 CoD MW games both on Xbox 360 and my (as you would say Piece of *** laptop/pc) Laptop and being completely objective, the graphics were far worse on my laptop (1280x720 res, no AA or AF Mid level Texture settings on all 3) and fps was not as stable as the console version (rarely staying at 35 fps for long) and yet, there was something about the control system that (although took a bit to get used to) made me enjoy the game much more than the console counterpart. I only played the campaigns, so mouse speed etc didnt matter that much to me, but it was still a much more enjoyable experience.

Also, when I was a console gamer on the 360, I was a graphics snob. Yet due to my experience on PC I actually care less about the graphics of a game. I am more open to games that are not essentially about showing off (i.e some BF and CoD set pieces and graphics etc) and more about the core game play.

If I was you, I would do away with that assumption that all PC gamers use PC for graphic superiority, yes in a debate on Console v PC this can come up as a pro for PC, but that dosen't suggest that it is the core issue for PC gamers, in fact you will find that PC gamers tend to use the points of better controls (mouse + keyboard), the ability to implement mods (which many developers support) and the ability to customise their gaming experience to suit their needs and the fact that a PC's lifespan is much longer than that of a console and also that you can upgrade a PC without having to pay for more expensive games and subscriptions, to mention a few points. Yes if you are a casual gamer who 1) wants a quicker, less fussy experience or 2) (not to sound rude) you don't have much in the way of computer knowledge then a console is a better option. Although a new console is cheaper upfront, you will have a far cheaper experience over time with a PC as you don't have expensive subscriptions and the games are cheaper (not to mention the infamous steam summer sale).

Just be sure with your level of computer literacy, what you want from your gaming experience and also the type of games you want to play (i.e. RTS games arguably play better on pc whereas some argue other games play better on console). Don't listen to people who give an ultimatum on PC vs Console, look at the points both sides make and decide for yourself which is more able to suit your gaming wants/needs. If you want any more advice, email me (any of you) at nubetubeking500@hotmail.com (cringe if you will, I made it when I was 12/13 in the heydays of Cod 4).

I totally agree with u. :) 
m
l
November 16, 2013 4:34:18 AM

g2gdotcom said:
IssacBeCrazy said:
ARCADDER said:

I totally agree with u. :) 

:D  yayyyy
m
l
May 1, 2014 3:16:12 AM

Comparing a pc to a console seems like comparing an oven to a microwave.
Ok the microwave is smaller, cheaper and will cook food much easier and faster.
But with a little more $ up front, a little more patience and a little more brainpower the oven will make the microwave look silly.
m
l
May 21, 2014 2:46:50 AM

I am sorry, but comparing a PC to PS4 and Xbox One in terms of performance is not fare. First, I agree that consoles are made to game. But guess what, PCs are made to CREATE games; you have no idea how much GPU and Processing power is required to render graphics for games. A GTX 780 is 2.5 times more powerful than the PS4's GPU. This, however, does not mean that PCs can outperform consoles in gaming, and the reason is not that consoles are superior, but because developers optimize games to use as much console power as possible.. it does not make sense for them to tailor a game to a $5000 PC, the consoles will not take it and they will be out of jobs.
So when you choose a platform, choose the setting that will make you comfortable gaming because in reality you will have very similar performance on PC, PS4, and XBOX ONE.
If you want to know which is more powerful, GPU and Proccessing wise, then my answer is that a PS4 is a slightly bellow Mid range PC.
m
l
May 21, 2014 3:01:26 AM

Derek06 said:
Comparing a pc to a console seems like comparing an oven to a microwave.
Ok the microwave is smaller, cheaper and will cook food much easier and faster.
But with a little more $ up front, a little more patience and a little more brainpower the oven will make the microwave look silly.

That's the best metaphor I've ever heard! :D 
m
l
June 24, 2014 2:46:00 PM

Derick135 said:

Intel Core i7-3770K

I`am PC player for around 13 years. And points to take notice of over a console time slot.

PC hardware will always be more powerful but more expensive.
Do Devs utilize our PC hardware properly .

Xbox 360 and PS3 year 1-2 , PC Ports were on par or better ,year 3-5 Hit an miss with poor ports from devs for PC and hardware needed was overkill to run a lot of games at 60fps .( Not good value )
year 5-6 i think the last big guns such as COD Ghost, BF4 To name 2 of the mega money games that should with all the money they make launch a game that's optimized correctly!! shows the lack of respect for PC users that spend big on there hardware.

So what to do ? If your happy with hit and miss, bit of a gamble on buying AAA PC games get a new PC build, If all goes well it a be a better experience.
Safe and steady PS4 play for 3 years and save at the same time see what the PC gaming's like a few years down the line ? then do a build as there's not going to be a lot of difference in the all platforms AAA games for a least 3 years.
That`s my view anyway.
m
l
August 8, 2014 11:05:22 PM

I was just searching the answers for similar question. I do editing of photos and videos as hobby and bit pro level as i do sell them. I also do gaming. i had a mediocre laptop for all my work/gaming but recently it died because of damage of motherboard due to overheating because of stretching it more for gaming. . so now I was planning to get a new pc for multimedia and gaming. I am from a small town in India and there is no facility for get a custom pc, just few readymade options to buy a new pc. I called HP services to provide me a gaming/multimedia custom pc but none could help me yet.
So i was planning to get a average laptop/desktop (preferably desktop) for multimedia work and a separate console for just games only. I was almost certain for this but now came to know that latest consoles (ps4/xb1) don't support games made for their previous generation ????
Now it seems to be deal breaker for me for buying a console.. what stupidity is it. That means i buy a ps4/xb1 today, collect (actually buy no? ) new games for 2-3 years and when ps5/xb1 part2 or something comes, that will not support my ps4/xb1 games... now see are there enough games for ps4? i really did not like this new change that ps4 owners (and also xb1 owners) cant play ps3 games...
Any ps3/ps4 owner please tell me whether with the launch of new ps4, do the companies gradually stop making new games for old gen consoles like ps3,ps2 ?? And if i decide to go for console, is it right time to go for ps4/xb1 or should wait more.. ? I know i wont be able to play Gran Turismo like games sooner if i buy ps4 now and i am really hesitating to go backward to buy any old gen console and i believe sooner or later they will be left neglected !!! Please suggest soon, as my hands are itching ;) 
m
l
August 9, 2014 7:21:14 AM

Survivor_X said:
I was just searching the answers for similar question. I do editing of photos and videos as hobby and bit pro level as i do sell them. I also do gaming. i had a mediocre laptop for all my work/gaming but recently it died because of damage of motherboard due to overheating because of stretching it more for gaming. . so now I was planning to get a new pc for multimedia and gaming. I am from a small town in India and there is no facility for get a custom pc, just few readymade options to buy a new pc. I called HP services to provide me a gaming/multimedia custom pc but none could help me yet.
So i was planning to get a average laptop/desktop (preferably desktop) for multimedia work and a separate console for just games only. I was almost certain for this but now came to know that latest consoles (ps4/xb1) don't support games made for their previous generation ????
Now it seems to be deal breaker for me for buying a console.. what stupidity is it. That means i buy a ps4/xb1 today, collect (actually buy no? ) new games for 2-3 years and when ps5/xb1 part2 or something comes, that will not support my ps4/xb1 games... now see are there enough games for ps4? i really did not like this new change that ps4 owners (and also xb1 owners) cant play ps3 games...
Any ps3/ps4 owner please tell me whether with the launch of new ps4, do the companies gradually stop making new games for old gen consoles like ps3,ps2 ?? And if i decide to go for console, is it right time to go for ps4/xb1 or should wait more.. ? I know i wont be able to play Gran Turismo like games sooner if i buy ps4 now and i am really hesitating to go backward to buy any old gen console and i believe sooner or later they will be left neglected !!! Please suggest soon, as my hands are itching ;) 

You'd get much better response with a new thread. To even get to your question, which is vastly different than the original poster's, requires a bunch of reading.

Anyways, as to your last thoughts. Xbone and PS4 are on completely different hardware than in the past. Especially in the case of the PS4. There is no easy way to allow them to play older games written for a completely different hardware platform. The good news is they are no on similar hardware as PC's, which is more likely to be the case in future versions.

And just because PS4 and XBone are out now, does not mean dev's have stopped developing new games for their predecessors.
m
l
!