Next Gen Console or New Gaming PC

Derick135

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I saved enough money to buy a next gen console or build a new PC. The reason why I want to get a new PC is that its much more powerful and faster than the next gen consoles but I don't know much about the PC like how to change the graphics card, how to add RAM, etc. But if I buy a console I don't have to worry about the system requirements, changing my gpu every few years, etc. So what would you recommend me to do? I want high performance gaming with simplicity

Here are the specs for the PC that I might buy

Intel Core i7-3770K
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2133
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
1 TB HARD DRIVE w/ 180 GB Intel 330 SSD

Solution
I have mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again. I do see the console as the best game to have with company/friends over, and they may be great for a low budget gamer, but mid-ranged gamers and up would have a better experience on a PC (not a laptop) when alone or online, though the online part may change soon.

ChilledGrease

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
The specs you listed already outperform the PS4 (announced yesterday). The PS4 is using an AMD APU with integrated graphics totallying 2 teraflops of graphics processing. Keep in mind it won't be coming out for another 9 or 10 months. That GTX 670 performs 2.5 Teraflops, has a larger and faster memory buffer, and you can upgrade it in 3 years if you want to. On the CPU side, the PS4's APU can't even hold a candle to a 3770K, especially when overclocked. I would go with a PC, because even if you want that "controller in your hand" feeling, you can just hook up a controller, plug it into your TV, and use Steam Big Picture Mode. Plus you can upgrade it, and with the Steam sales in the summer and winter, you can get uber cheap games. (I got Assassin's Creed 2, Mass effect 1 and 2, and Deus Ex Human Revolution for $5 each during the last sale) On top of all this stuff, the PC modding community extends the life and playability of your games tenfold FOR FREE. Just look at some of the total overhaul mods out there for Skyrim. It's like getting an entire new game without paying anything. And the best part about PC gaming, no 12-year-old potty-mouthed children who've had sex with your mom a million times, because their parent's buy them consoles, not PCs. PC MASTER RACE FTW!!!! (just kidding, but seriously, do it)

da3ndorphin3

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Dont forget also that does not mean you have to upgrade every 2 years.People still play battlefield 3 ,far cry 3 and many others on 5-6 years old cpu and gpu like 8800gtx.Once you get to know pc hardware you can see that 5-6 years old pc play games even better then consoles.And you can choose when you want to upgrade.Plus having a mouse and keyboard i would be rather playing in 800x600 res on very low then playing on console controller.

Dysfunction@HH

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
You are all in denial, you cant compare pc hardware against console hardware, console hardware is designed just to play games and so plays much quicker on less powerfull hardware. I had a top of the line PC when the the xbox360 came out and in theory the raw power of my pc was double that of a 360, in reality the 360 ran twice as quick. I expect the same with the new consoles, besides its the games that count do ultra high end pcs actually make the game better?

da3ndorphin3

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

You can compare to some point.Just because consoles are more optimized this doesn't mean they are magic boxes that can turn gpu much more it can.Like what are they doing with crysis 3,its optimized because it runs very low in sub hd res and its still tailored and coded to fit consoles.Xbox 360 was in par with high gaming pc when it came out.But new gen will not be.It is just to expensive and power hungry to give it again 200w and risking problems with RROD.If they wanted they could go for 3.5ghz intel quad core which is more powerful then 1.6ghz 8core jaguar which is similiar to intel atom mobile devices.
But still next gen lunch titles will be in par with graphics of crysis 3 on pc.Graphics will be nice for 1 year but after that we could see bigger difference between pc and consoles.Like crysis 1 did 1 year after consoles releases.You just cant compare stuff like mass production consoles vs pc.But still consoles are great cheaper solution.
Well for me and 90% others graphics count,if it not count then everybody would be still developing games with graphics like san andreas with 100x bigger maps.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i find with console to PC, it all depends on hardware cost and performance, when the 360 and PS3 came out, they had some impressive graphics especially for their exclusives when comparing to what was out on PC, and at the time to get a PC to play a game that was as graphically pleasing as the console you were going to pay much more for the PC than the consoles, well at least the 360 anyway :p.

so if the PS4 does come out to be around $400-$500 that is a nice price point for something that can do what it can. compare the tech and live demo's that they showed off to games currently on PC and what graphical power you need to run them on the PC at HD res. you can't tell me that currently at that price point a PC will outperform a comparable game on the PS4 and reach the same FPS at the same resolution (as long as the games are both coded properly for both platforms)

its all in the coding and production of the games to utilize the hardware, where PC hardware not only depends on the coding of the game but also on the drivers optimization for your hardware, where as consoles are all proprietary to the same hardware so there is no need to optimize for many different pieces of hardware.

so, you can compare to some extent but its never going to be a fair comparison.

da3ndorphin3

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Sure.Its different like comparing oranges and apples.PC is multitasking machine on which you can do almost everything possible not a- only-gaming-machine.This is why it have to cost more then just a gaming machine like console.

For a gaming purpose i personally like PC more,after 1-2 year there will be much of differences between consoles and pc-s and i still like keep the option of upgrading parts on my pc when time comes.Also mouse for gaming.On console i just cant play anything,i wish i can,i tried but im so unaccurate.I have a hard time passing a fps shotter on very easy just aiming at things is so hard,no to mention online lol,but on the other hand i can shot almost 5 things at once on mouse.When i play on pc im 'pissed' cause somebody is better but on console im 'pissed' cause i cant aim lol.its like running 100m with broken legs.And most of games that i play are fps shooters..Consoles would be great cheap solution with nice social features but i cant just becuse of stupid controlles :fou:

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

Totally agree

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
What are the specs for your old PC? It might be that they are still within current demands and you'd only need to replace the PSU or add more ram or something., then you could get that PS3 and have both gaming platforms.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
this is an age old debate, just like Mac or Windows, however everytime it comes up I do give my input..

console is just made for games, so it does well for most of the games upto a limit, beyond it it can not go, as u can not upgrade it. so even if a new game is running slow on your year old console, you notice it but there is hardly anything u can do about it apart from throwing it off and get a new one.

pc is for games and lot more, a poorly combined pc will do no good to a heavy game, but if u know ur stuff, (which is no longer a rocket science), you are good to go for almost every game, and for years as u can keep on upgrading it virtually forever.

Another factor is , every game does not come for all consoles, xpbox or PS, but do end up coming for PC almost.

lastly, console games are always more expensive than PC games.

so ,do your calibration on your 1. your budget, 2. Your knowledge and time u are ready to spend. 3. Future enhancement , as to which one of the three is more important than the other two and make ur choice.

Estacado

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
games evolution and grfx will require more powerful gpu not cpu and and ram , i can give u proof .....many current games can run fine with core 2 dou cpu and 2 gb ram but it need high end gpu , same will be in the next gen games , so u dont need high end 17 cpu and 16 gb ram and forget about gpu .

Apart from the facts stated above, there is one that always seems to me is the most powerfull aspect of the PC games: Mods.
Mods, texture packs, graphics overhauls, additional items, quests... well the list is very long.
This makes a game "rise from the grave" very easy, and can create huge worlds...

Consoles cant.

Edit: For instance, i have not bought skyrim yet (i tested it for around 2 hours), since i want the game devs to stop making expansions, buy the full game, install the latest mods (probably in big auto-install packs by then), and enjoy the game at its maximum potential.

The negative part of a PC is that it requires more babysitting, as its a more open environment.

Ratbeely

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Strategy, RPG, and FPS are far better on the PC. Even if you prefer a controller, pretty much all games now come with both mouse and controller support for games like Batman, Just Cause 2, Dark Souls and so on. Graphically fidelity will always be stronger on the PC and you have the ability to upgrade parts in 3 years or so that will just destroy anything the consoles will be doing.

The more costly PC build will be evened out over time if you are smart and buy games during the big sales. You will grow your gaming library to three or four times the size than you could on a console for the same amount of money.

Having said that. If you have friends that are going to be getting consoles and you like multiplayer, you may consider going that route.

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
Oh dudes... It is O.K. that this is a PC forum but man give it a break!

Now ask yourself. What you want? Why you want it? How you want it to be?
You want to build a damn PC or you want to buy a damn console?
You will play on a 1080p TV or you prefer higher resolutions and multi monitors?

I would rather buy a PS4 rather than spending my money on a custom gaming PC at this specific time. Why? Because a PS4 will give a hell of performance for about 2 or 3 years (Who knows). By the time PS4 reaches it's performance pike, a current gen graphics card won't do a damn thing and there will be new, better and cheaper GPUs and processors with updated and upgraded architectures. :pt1cable:
PC-wise this is the worst time to "upgrade" (or build) since nothing gets dramatically better after a couple years a new gen arrives, when the industry set new "standards".

On paper a PC smokes PS4's hardware. But asuming you will have a better time playing on a PC because "PCs specz r highr thn everythng on tha mrkt nd graphicz r bettr" is just plain STUPID. :pfff:
It all depends of you and your expectations, the games you like and how you like to play them.

People on this forum often say that consoles are obsolete since the moment they are announced, but tell me how many dudes you know that can play decently FarCry3, Crysis 3 or Skyrim with a PC built on 2005 (and never upgraded) with a budget of $299 or $599?

I came to this forum to ask assistance about a gaming PC I wanted to build, but at this time I don't think I will gonna build it, at least not for gaming... If you want to keep things simple and you can get past of the problems consoles have go for a PS4, if your priority is playing games at ULTRA settings no matter what then go for a PC.

You know? I rather buy a PS4 and wait a couple years till PC hardware gets even better. So I'll stick with my 1080pTV, my console and my sofa for now. :hello:

sneakyazshiite

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
twitter.com

To be honest comparing power between the 2 systems is silly. I would base not on whihc performs better, but which one youll use more. Do you do a ton of gaming? if not maybe a pc would be best. if you do maybe upgrade your current pc a little and buy the console.

Im saving for the new xbox if it looks good, and have slowly been upgrading components of my pc as i go. Im a heavy gamer. Most of my gaming is on console and thats why ive made the decision to purchase a new one when it comes out (barring it doesnt look like a worthwhile investment). I do like to game on pc especially league of legends. I dont need a super computer for that, so i can get away with slow upgades in different areas of the pc.

I think you need to evaluate what you enjoy most, and develop a plan around that. Good luck bud =)

One of the biggest mistakes when comparing PC's to consoles is the idea that you have to play all games maxed out on the PC for comparable graphics to a console. As long as you are willing to reduce settings, PC's stay very capable for a long time.

The biggest difference to me, is a PC has a mouse, which gives far more control, and as well as much better support for different types of games.

The console is much easier to setup, and superior for playing with friends.

PC's have better online options, though that might change in with the next gen consoles.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
If the Steam box is good i'd rather get that than a PS4....I get the 'comfy couch console' benefit but still get to play my PC games, buy cheap pc games etc.. I don't have any gaming mates to come over so i'm not losing out on the 'playing with friends' benefit of a console. Plus if the steam box is built so you can upgrade the GPU like a PC then that's a win too.

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012

One of the biggest mistakes when comparing PC controls to console controls is the idea that you have to be tied with a controller or a keyboard/mouse depending on the system you use to play.

Lots of people say if you prefer controllers over Mouse/keyboard setup, there are compatible controls to use them with a PC but no one ever say that there are also peripherals like the EagleEye that allows you to connect your mouse/keyboard to a PS3/360, map the keys however you want and use them as you would when gaming on your PC.

So again... I think it's like being 7 year old again... Would you buy the cool Hot-Wheels car or would you buy the elegant Matchbox car? :B It's up to you my friend. :hello:

I've never seen EagleEye to know if it is even remotely as good a real mouse, as the games you use it with are not designed to use it. PC's also can use controllers and all. However, looking at reviews, it appears to not give the same experience, in at least a lot of games.

Even if you think their controls are equal, the console, at least today, is far less attractive to game with. You don't have to use modern PC hardware for much better visuals and smooth game play. In many PC games, even the lowest settings are better looking that consoles and you get games designed for the controls.

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
Looking at the EagleEye product and reviews, it definitely isn't as good as using it on a PC, but it is definitely going in the right direction. I personally could never use it, I require 60+ FPS to game with a mouse and the reviews were talking about less response than on a PC, which would cause vomiting for myself and some others.

But even if you think they were equal, consoles in their current state are years and years behind visually. A PC game at its lowest setting is usually better than the console. You don't have to upgrade, but that option is open for those who want wildly better visuals or smooth game play.

Did you saw Classic Game Room's review? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdcdetXToaE

Never said they were equal, but there is a balance. Of course PC looks awesome when a good amount of money was invested on it. In PC gaming and console gaming there is something I like to call "the Omnipresent ***".

It might be odd to play games with mouse/keyboard on PS3 because games weren't designed to use that setup... but the same problem appears when you use a controller on a PC, so here it makes it's presence, The Omnipresent ***. The Omnipresent *** also makes an act when people argue that "PC's are as comfortable as consoles", when people say #consoles have better exclusives" and all that similar subjective crap.

Where The Omnipresent *** doesn't like to party is when people talk about budget. :non:
A brand new PS3 can go as cheap as $299. Playing on my PS3 can cause sores on my thumbs.
A piece of *** PC (like mine) can go as cheap as $299. Playing on my piece of *** PC cause vomiting to myself and others who dare to take a look at the screen.

If you take this in consideration, for $299 you get a PS3 with controller, cables, a game and a year of PS+ Subscription everything ready to plug on your 1080p TV and start gaming, smooth gameplay and descent visuals.
OR for $299 you can get a piece of *** laptop that will give you the pleasure to vomit at the 10-25 FPS in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on the lowest settings. :ange:

Well it's not that bad, thanks to this $299 piece of *** PC I was forced to discover & play excellent PC titles from the 90's like "Beneath a Steel Sky" and some more recent ones like "Dreamfall: The loungest journey" (Which I totally recommend). Also my piece of *** PC lead me to save some cash to build an actual PC (which I will build once the new gen GPUs arrive) to use fluidly Adobe software and to play lots of PC games like they are meant to be played.

It is stupid to compare cheap old PC's with consoles as it is stupid to compare consoles with high end PC's as it is stupid to compare consoles with PC's. And here is the evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLkcZSp6kq0

You sound like you have a similar issue that I do. One that EagleEye would make present on a console as well.

Low FPS causes you simulator sickness. I get this as well, though most people don't have this issue. The solution to this is either not to use a mouse, which I would never give up, or to reduce latency as much as possible, which means 60+ FPS, and even ideally 80+ FPS on a 120hz monitor.

You cannot play on a laptop, because laptops are not fast enough. Playing on a desktop PC is what you'd have to do. A desktop PC with a reasonable CPU would get much better results than your laptop.

The problem with vomiting is not present when watching or using a controller, but when using a mouse, you gain a connection to the action, that feels far more real. When the movements of the mouse has a delay before it is displayed, it causes a similar reaction that motion or sea sickness causes. That means PC/mouse driven gaming will require better hardware than average, and you'll want to stick with desktops/tower PC's.

EDIT: That video was Crysis, which the PC version came out a couple years before the Xbox version did, and the Xbox version used a new game engine not used on the original PC version. It was used in Crysis 2 on the PC. My point though, was "most" (I did say most) PC games on low look as good as consoles or better.

I have mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again. I do see the console as the best game to have with company/friends over, and they may be great for a low budget gamer, but mid-ranged gamers and up would have a better experience on a PC (not a laptop) when alone or online, though the online part may change soon.

Solution