all the upgrade stuff in 1 place) and it actually brought the battery
back from the dead! So I got everything else cleaned out, upgraded
and working with Windows 98 but am having 2 problems:

#1: about 1/3 of the time it locks up on shutdown. I have to power
off and it always reboots fine and usually shuts down fine the next
time I try. This is not a big deal but it is both dangerous and
annoying and I'd like to fix whatever is happening, if possible.

#2: When the system sleeps and the screen is darkened, I can always
awaken the unit (HD, general responsiveness) but sometimes the screen
does not reactivate/awaken. I can close programs and use num/shift
locks, etc. so I know the system is awake/active but I have not
picture. Nothing I do will bring it back other than a power cycle.

Any ideas?

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

#1. Check out the Microsoft Knowledge base for the many articles on
troubleshooting shutdown problems.

#2 Are you at the latest version of the BIOS? I've seen several BIOS
updates on other machines address issues like this. Maybe yours has one.
Might also want to make sure all your drivers are up to date.

"Gregg Woodcock" <woodcock@SonLightSoftware.com> wrote in message
> I recently inherited (and trasnferred ownership of) a Gateway Solo
> 9100 laptop/notbook computer which had been in the closet for the last
> 4-5 years. I downloaded a battery checkup tool which was suggested
> from the support.gateway.com pages (GREAT thing they've done by
> storing data for every computer they've ever built/sold and providing
> all the upgrade stuff in 1 place) and it actually brought the battery
> back from the dead! So I got everything else cleaned out, upgraded
> and working with Windows 98 but am having 2 problems:
>
> #1: about 1/3 of the time it locks up on shutdown. I have to power
> off and it always reboots fine and usually shuts down fine the next
> time I try. This is not a big deal but it is both dangerous and
> annoying and I'd like to fix whatever is happening, if possible.
>
> #2: When the system sleeps and the screen is darkened, I can always
> awaken the unit (HD, general responsiveness) but sometimes the screen
> does not reactivate/awaken. I can close programs and use num/shift
> locks, etc. so I know the system is awake/active but I have not
> picture. Nothing I do will bring it back other than a power cycle.
>
> Any ideas?

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

I have this computer and have experienced both issues you have. For #1 no
idea why it does it. I have had this computer for about 5 years and have
reformatted several times and sometimes it still does it.
#2 Same thing..no idea why but one thing that sometimes helped bring the
screen back is the FN and the lcd/crt key. Not sure which number - maybe F5
or whatever and just cycle thru slowly.
Hope this helps