2year family share contract question

Last response: in Network Providers
June 24, 2005 9:14:52 AM

My wife and I are almost 1 year into our 2year family share
plan with Verizon. I have a phone issued to me from work which means
I very rarely use my Verizon phone anymore. My wife and I have the
plan that has 1000 minutes...something like $79/month.

I would like to go to verizon and drop my phone from the contract and
have my wife sign another contract for a single phone.
Friends tell me this can be done without any troubles.

Can my wife and I do this? It sure would save us some money. Anyone
with experience please help. I would like to be armed with the
correct information before I go to Verizon.

Thanks.

Sam Cederas
Raleigh, N.C.
mcse@nc.rr.com
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:31:05 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 05:14:52 GMT, hello <goaway@nunya.com> wrote:
>My wife and I are almost 1 year into our 2year family share
>plan with Verizon. I have a phone issued to me from work which means
>I very rarely use my Verizon phone anymore. My wife and I have the
>plan that has 1000 minutes...something like $79/month.
>I would like to go to verizon and drop my phone from the contract and
>have my wife sign another contract for a single phone.
>Friends tell me this can be done without any troubles.

Doesn't sound right to me. Each line has its own early termination fee.
If you drop one line, you'd have to pay the fee. Of course, that might
be cheaper than paying the monthly fee for the second line for over a
year.

Keep in mind that if your new phone isn't Verizon Wireless, your wife
will use regular minutes when calling or receiving calls from you instead
of using in-network minutes.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

hello wrote:
> My wife and I are almost 1 year into our 2year family
> share
> plan with Verizon. I have a phone issued to me from work
> which means I very rarely use my Verizon phone anymore.
> My wife and I have the plan that has 1000
> minutes...something like $79/month.
>
> I would like to go to verizon and drop my phone from the
> contract and have my wife sign another contract for a
> single phone.
> Friends tell me this can be done without any troubles.
>
> Can my wife and I do this? It sure would save us some
> money. Anyone with experience please help. I would like
> to be armed with the correct information before I go to
> Verizon.

You can do it but it will cost you the $175 Early Termination
Fee on one line. It doesn't matter which line you drop (primary
or secondary). You have to have 2 lines or more to have a
familyshare plan so you won't be able to terminate the primary
line (incurring the ETF) and maintain the secondary line at $10
or $20 per month. You can move both to any individual plans
or terminate one and move the other. Terminating one or the
other you will incur the ETF. Terminate both and you will
incur 2 ETFs.

-Quick
(and Henry is mistaken. they don't negotiate)
June 24, 2005 2:01:46 PM

Quick wrote:
> hello wrote:
>> My wife and I are almost 1 year into our 2year family
>> share
>> plan with Verizon. I have a phone issued to me from work
>> which means I very rarely use my Verizon phone anymore.
>> My wife and I have the plan that has 1000
>> minutes...something like $79/month.
>>
>> I would like to go to verizon and drop my phone from the
>> contract and have my wife sign another contract for a
>> single phone.
>> Friends tell me this can be done without any troubles.
>>
>> Can my wife and I do this? It sure would save us some
>> money. Anyone with experience please help. I would like
>> to be armed with the correct information before I go to
>> Verizon.
>
> You can do it but it will cost you the $175 Early
> Termination Fee on one line. It doesn't matter which line
> you drop (primary or secondary). You have to have 2 lines
> or more to have a familyshare plan so you won't be able
> to terminate the primary line (incurring the ETF) and
> maintain the secondary line at $10 or $20 per month. You
> can move both to any individual plans
> or terminate one and move the other. Terminating one or
> the other you will incur the ETF. Terminate both and you
> will incur 2 ETFs.
>
> -Quick
> (and Henry is mistaken. they don't negotiate)

What provider does your work use (and how much pull do
you have there)? If it's VZW then, drop your current work
phone. Move your line and you wife's line to individual plans.
Transfer financial liability for your line to the company.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:35:27 PM

"hello" <goaway@nunya.com> wrote in message
> My wife and I are almost 1 year into our 2year family share
> plan with Verizon. I have a phone issued to me from work which means
> I very rarely use my Verizon phone anymore. My wife and I have the
> plan that has 1000 minutes...something like $79/month.
>
> I would like to go to verizon and drop my phone from the contract and
> have my wife sign another contract for a single phone.
> Friends tell me this can be done without any troubles.
>
> Can my wife and I do this? It sure would save us some money. Anyone
> with experience please help. I would like to be armed with the
> correct information before I go to Verizon.
>
> Thanks.

Depends on how persistent and good a negotiator you are-- everything is
negotiable!

Victor
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:54:03 PM

> Quick wrote:

>> (and Henry is mistaken. they don't negotiate)
>
>> -Quick

Maybe not with you Quickie, but like I said, it depends how *good* a
negotiator you are. Next time you get your butt in a crack, give me a call
and I'll help you out--- but for 40% of what I save you;-)

Victor Henry
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:22:32 PM

Victor Henry wrote:

>>> (and Henry is mistaken. they don't negotiate)
>>
>>> -Quick
>

> Maybe not with you Quickie, but like I said, it depends
> how *good* a negotiator you are. Next time you get your
> butt in a crack, give me a call and I'll help you out---
> but for 40% of what I save you;-)

Are you one of Dr. Wiremore's business partners?

-Quick
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:17:50 PM

Yes, you can reason/negotiate with verizon (customer service). If you give
something, they have been known to give something back.

Suggest that you bounce this off of verizon customer service (via phone, not
in a store)
a) you LOVE their service, but explain to them what you explained to us.
And moving one line to your wife's name shouldn't be a problem either.
b) Ask them if you "reset" and keep one line for 2 more years, if they'll
allow you to disconnect the other line and have the disconnection fee
waived. It may take a managers approval, maybe not.

We had a 2 line customer; they wanted to port 1 to Nextel early. In return
for resetting the contract on the remaining line, they allowed him to port
out one line without the ETF. Your mileage will vary, it doesn't hurt to
ask.

Rationale: 2 phones, with one year left on each. That is a total of 2
contract years remaining. If you disconnect one line, and reset the
contract on the remaining, you are still locked in to 2 contract years,
although I'd ask for a phone upgrade as well :-) Ask nice, and be civil, it
has been done many times before. Win/Win: You are still honoring the spirit
of the contract.

No need to pay someone else, but if they did save you money, hasn't it been
earned? Some contract fine print says that verizon does not have to act
either best, fair, or in good-faith. Customer Service does it anyway! They
want to keep your line(s) of service.

Hope this helps! It isn't always what you say, but the order that you say
it in makes all the difference in the world. dr
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

!