Good firewall software

Can someone here introduce a good firewall to me?

Please introduce at least one:
- Free firewall
- License firewall

Peter CCH

Mike

Splendid

Iptables http://www.iptables.org/

> - License firewall
Watchguard http://www.watchguard.com

Both best of breed and *very* hard to beat

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

x-no-archive: yes

Mike wrote:

> "Peter CCH" <peter.cch@lycos.com> wrote in message
>> Can someone here introduce a good firewall to me?
>>
>> Please introduce at least one:
>> - Free firewall
>
> Iptables http://www.iptables.org/
>
>> - License firewall
> Watchguard http://www.watchguard.com
>

> Both best of breed and *very* hard to beat

Unless you also take user friendliness into consideration. (There, I
said it.)

In article <96hCc.114740$j24.57502@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
sdglockman@hotmail.com says...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Mike wrote:
>
> > "Peter CCH" <peter.cch@lycos.com> wrote in message
> >> Can someone here introduce a good firewall to me?
> >>
> >> Please introduce at least one:
> >> - Free firewall
> >
> > Iptables http://www.iptables.org/
> >
> >> - License firewall
> > Watchguard http://www.watchguard.com
> >

> > Both best of breed and *very* hard to beat
>
> Unless you also take user friendliness into consideration. (There, I
> said it.)

WG interfaces are very easy to understand for most people that are
somewhat technical.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Mike

Splendid

"·" <sdglockman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Mike wrote:
>
> > "Peter CCH" <peter.cch@lycos.com> wrote in message
> >> Can someone here introduce a good firewall to me?
> >>
> >> Please introduce at least one:
> >> - Free firewall
> >
> > Iptables http://www.iptables.org/
> >
> >> - License firewall
> > Watchguard http://www.watchguard.com
> >

> > Both best of breed and *very* hard to beat
>
> Unless you also take user friendliness into consideration. (There, I
> said it.)

Granted, IPTables is not user friendly if you are non-technical but then
most powerful software is difficult at first.

But then along comes Watchguard to disprove that theory.

casey

In article <51fbdfd3.0406230326.ddb4a8e@posting.google.com>, peter.cch@lycos.com says...
> Can someone here introduce a good firewall to me?
>
> Please introduce at least one:
> - Free firewall
> - License firewall
>

> Peter CCH

Hi Peter. I can recommend two good firewalls. Currently I am using
Sygate v5.5. Take a look at Sygate:
Unofficial Help:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/i/k/ikpe/SygateBasics.html
(This site has two parts: Sygate Basics and Sygate Basics
Part 2. Click on the button to toggle between the two)
Sygate Forums:
http://forums.sygate.com/vb/
Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents/pspf/default.htm
Compare SPF Pro and SPF (See what's inside each one)
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/comparison_spf.htm
d/l
http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160.html

In the past I have used Kerio v2.1.5. It is a nice firewall
but doesn't have the capabilities of Sygate.
http://download.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/kerio-pf-2.1.5-en-win.exe
Casey

"·" <sdglockman@hotmail.com> wrote in news:96hCc.114740$j24.57502
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Mike wrote:
>
>> "Peter CCH" <peter.cch@lycos.com> wrote in message
>>> Can someone here introduce a good firewall to me?
>>>
>>> Please introduce at least one:
>>> - Free firewall
>>
>> Iptables http://www.iptables.org/
>>
>>> - License firewall
>> Watchguard http://www.watchguard.com
>>

>> Both best of breed and *very* hard to beat
>
> Unless you also take user friendliness into consideration. (There, I
> said it.)

From a somewhat technical user standpoint when it comes to FW appliances,
I don't have a problem using the WG.

Duane :)

Casey wrote:

> Hi Peter. I can recommend two good firewalls. Currently I am using
> Sygate v5.5. Take a look at Sygate:

> In the past I have used Kerio v2.1.5. It is a nice firewall
> but doesn't have the capabilities of Sygate.

I am using kerio 215 at the moment, and it's working fine for me. I like the
simple interface where you can add and edit your rules. I tested sygate one
time, but not so long. One thing i did not liked was the way rules were
added.

Can you tell me your reasons and findings why you switched to sygate? What
capabilities does sygate have that kerio does not have? Maybe I will give it
another try.

Thanks in advance,

GJ